• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's right. As I said AKM's filters are leaky. Also mentioned in the previous post above the one you read. Sharp filter is ideal. The ringing is expected behavior and good. The only problem it gives is digital clipping. Better looking square wave doesn't improve anything in the audio band but due to leaky filter the imaging are much worse appearing in the audio band. It is probably worse. Not potentially better.
What's that digital clipping you mention? (Is it something related to "intersample overs" that was mentioned elsewhere in this thread?) And what's best way to combat that clipping? I use E30 in Filter#1 which is the sharp filter.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What's that digital clipping you mention? (Is it something related to "intersample overs" that was mentioned elsewhere in this thread?) And what's best way to combat that clipping? I use E30 in Filter#1 which is the sharp filter.
Yes.
Reduce volume by 3db or so. I like -6db to -15db personally no particular reason.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.
Reduce volume by 3db or so. I like -6db to -15db personally no particular reason.
That seems like quite a lot of headroom to give up. In my circumstances I'm already running -5dB digital preamp to allow for bass boosts for roomEQ reasons - should that be added to the intersample over headroom or is "bass intersample over clipping" of no consequence....I mean does it matter where in the frequency range you're closest to the "intersample over headroom"?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That seems like quite a lot of headroom to give up. In my circumstances I'm running -5dB digital preamp to allow for bass boosts for roomEQ reasons - should that be added to the intersample over headroom or is "bass intersample over clipping" of no consequence....I mean does it matter where in the frequency range you're closest to the "intersample over headroom"?
Usually it happens in high frequency

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, in that case I probably don't need to add the "intersample over headroom" to my roomEQ negative preamp....or instead I could just add a very small extra amount rather than whole 3dB-15dB range you mention. (I think I'll go for -1dB for intersample overs combined with the -5dB for roomEQ to equal a total -6dB).

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
(Quick side note: does PEACE's peak value meter (clipping meter) associated with EqualiserAPO show intersample overs because I've seen it show red in the clipping meter even though it shouldn't given my negative preamp and the boost filters I'm using? I'm thinking it doesn't show intersample overs though because that's something that's happening inside the DAC)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Intersample overs can basically happen when sampling rate is increased. The new samples can clip due to ringing of the reconstruction filter. That can happen in the dac, but also when upsampling in software. Finally it can also happen at AD conversion when the voltage touches the rails due to overshoot.

Last edited:

mshenay

So you're saying that the E30 is allowing you to hear things in the recording that the D10 did not?

Well I imagine if I turn D10 up enough I can hear the details but at regular listening levels, around 80ish, yes E30 had some audible content D10 didn't.

An part of the review process is listening to the same set of songs again and again, so for me I don't listen for what is added but what's missing from music I'm familiar with. So I may spend 4-5 days listening straight on E30 then on day 6 do the review and hot swapping between the two dacs.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ordered, would be really interesting to see how it fares against my D50, needed another DAC anyway

Tup3x

By the way, how much power does this actually use? Manual says power input 5V/1A which would mean that even USB3 port would fall a bit short.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone already measured and got about 200mA (0.2A).
Yeah, I remember seeing that, I was surprised at how little power it used!

Tup3x

:facepalm: Just realised that Windows volume control is mapped to E30 even when using ASIO or exclusive WASAPI when using Topping drivers, nice!

Toku

Major Contributor
:facepalm: Just realised that Windows volume control is mapped to E30 even when using ASIO or exclusive WASAPI when using Topping drivers, nice!
It is a malfunction of Windows 10. Microsoft must improve fast

facboy

Shenzhen Audio have been very good to me, they shipped me a 2006 unit to replace my 1911 due to my minor concern about the reversed polarity. I was ok with the old unit as the USB polarity was fixed with the firmware, but I thought I'd ask anyway, and they very kindly offered to cross-ship the replacement, no questions asked. They will reimburse me the return shipping costs.

hogofwar

My E30 works really well, though it never seems to go on standby (I have checked which mode it is on), I will need to do some more tests to see what input is keeping it awake.

Also, when I have it plugged in via USB and start audio after a while it switches from working PCM to 45.15 DSD and no audio will output until I restart it and it goes back PCM. Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:

Dac Visitor

I do not use dsd, pcm sounds great.Have the E30 (sn 2004) in dac mode and if for some time no music is sent via usb I get an err warning and then just turn it off.If I turn it on again at 32-192kh and sounds fantastic.

samsa

I do not use dsd, pcm sounds great.Have the E30 (sn 2004) in dac mode and if for some time no music is sent via usb I get an err warning and then just turn it off.If I turn it on again at 32-192kh and sounds fantastic.

It's called "Standby Mode" and that's exactly the way it's supposed to work.

The Dragon

Forum Donor
I have been following this thread for quite some time. I ordered an E30 months ago and it finally arrived last week. I set it up next to my Chord Qutest with a brand new iFi "audiophile" power supply. I connected it to my laptop, made sure it was working, and then left it on for a few days to settle in. This past weekend, I listened to some of my favorite tracks. Almost immediately I noticed some of the attack on the acoustic guitar was in the background. I listended for a couple of hours and then reconnected the Qutest and tried again. The difference was immediately noticeable. And yes I made sure I was level matched. I really wanted this to be a close competition because I like the E30's form factor and the remote control. Another reason is that I like it when high quality, high performing audio products are made available to consumers for a reasonable price. I was using the USB input. I cycled through all of the filters and didn't hear much of a difference. I need to do more comparisons with the other inputs, but right now I am not impressed.

samsa

I have been following this thread for quite some time. I ordered an E30 months ago and it finally arrived last week. I set it up next to my Chord Qutest with a brand new iFi "audiophile" power supply. I connected it to my laptop, made sure it was working, and then left it on for a few days to settle in. This past weekend, I listened to some of my favorite tracks. Almost immediately I noticed some of the attack on the acoustic guitar was in the background. I listended for a couple of hours and then reconnected the Qutest and tried again. The difference was immediately noticeable. And yes I made sure I was level matched. I really wanted this to be a close competition because I like the E30's form factor and the remote control. Another reason is that I like it when high quality, high performing audio products are made available to consumers for a reasonable price. I was using the USB input. I cycled through all of the filters and didn't hear much of a difference. I need to do more comparisons with the other inputs, but right now I am not impressed.

Out of curiosity, what output level did you choose on the Qutest?

Top Bottom