• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30, cannot change volume and use DAC mode at the same time?

DanielT

Major Contributor
I am considering buying a Topping E30. Well known on this forum. My idea was to use it as a DAC and so it is also convenient with the remote volume control.

According to the manual I found online, it is not possible to change the volume while using the DAC in Topping E30. What ?!

" Note
Volume is fixed to 0dB in DAC mode and volume adjusting is invalid in this mode"

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/projects/add-topping-e30-usb-dac/topping-e30-manual/

So I can not plug in Topping E30 with USB cable in my laptop and change the volume on Topping E30 then? So can it not be? Or? Have I missed something fundamentally simple now?

Anyone have a Topping E30? Grateful for clarifications.

Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
You cannot change volume when using the "DAC Mode", as opposite to using the "Preamp Mode" you can.
DAC mode just means the volume is fixed to 0 dB and you cannot change it. This is for when you have the a preamp or headamp connected to the E30, you can adjust the volume on the downstream device.
If you connect the E30 directly to active speakers, then you can use the preamp mode adjust the volume using the remote.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just set it to pre-amp mode.
The only difference is in DAC mode the samplerate is shown.
In pre-amp mode the attenuation is shown.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Aha, that's how it should be. Had been completely goofy otherwise.

Thanks for the help! :) . Now I will order a Topping E30. This will be really fun and exciting.:D

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You cannot change volume when using the "DAC Mode", as opposite to using the "Preamp Mode" you can.
DAC mode just means the volume is fixed to 0 dB and you cannot change it. This is for when you have the a preamp or headamp connected to the E30, you can adjust the volume on the downstream device.
If you connect the E30 directly to active speakers, then you can use the preamp mode adjust the volume using the remote.

Hmm my English is not the best. So if I plug in a Toppingen E30 into my laptop and use the DAC, DAC mode, in the Toppingen then I can NOT change the volume on the Toppingen with the remote control?

But wait now. Topping E30 has only digital inputs, right? Then the DAC in Toppingen must be switched on, otherwise there will be no conversion of the signal and then there will be no sound. Or is it possible to input an analog signal into Toppingen E30?

Luckily I write on this page the forum with subtitles " No question is too trivial. So don't be shy.":D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you expect the "pre-amp" mode of the E30 to do then?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hmm my English is not the best. So if I plug my Toppingen into my laptop and use the DAC, DAC mode, in the Toppingen then I can NOT change the volume on the Toppingen with the remote control?

correct, when you want to use the remote control from the topping the DAC must be set to pre-amp mode.
It basically enables the remote control and reserves the display for the volume setting.

Just connect the USB to your laptop and it works just fine in both modes (DAC mode without remote volume or with volume control = pre-amp mode)
There is nothing more to it.
Aside from the USB input the E30 requires either a second USB port for power or a 5V USB adapter.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
What do you expect the "pre-amp" mode of the E30 to do then?
My idea was to connect the Toppingen E30 to my laptop. The laptop, or my pad if I plug it in, sends out a digital signal to the Topping E30. It converts it and sends the analog signal to my amplifier. Standard plug-in and connection to the external DAC. In connection with that, I want to be able to use Toppingen's remote control to change sound, if necessary. Nothing more strange than that.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
correct, when you want to use the remote control from the topping the DAC must be set to pre-amp mode.
It basically enables the remote control and reserves the display for the volume setting.

Just connect the USB to your laptop and it works just fine in both modes (DAC mode without remote volume or with volume control = pre-amp mode)
There is nothing more to it.
Aside from the USB input the E30 requires either a second USB port for power or a 5V USB adapter.

"
There is nothing more to it."

Thanks .

I suspected that was the case. Excuse my confusion. This is pretty basic. Do not really know why and how I spun it.:facepalm:

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Ordering Topping E30 takes place today.:D

Thank you all for your help and clarification.:)

Now it remains, among other things, to figure out if this is good, if it adds something positive to the sound:

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/high-quality-media-player-for-android.26439/

At the moment, it probably matters less because I use Spotify and they have not yet released lossless audio quality. It seems to take up time for Spotify.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-have-spotify-lossless-in-your-country.26386/

Last edited:
Top Bottom