• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E-30 and compatibility issue with CD, Blu-ray and Ultra Blu-ray players

Billbass1

So I upgraded my DAC and bought a Topping E30. It arrived today and I hooked it up to my system. The optical audio out of my TV sounds great and is an overall improvement from the FiiO D03K DAC I was using the past few years. Next I hooked up my old Phillip’s CD player Using the coaxial out. That’s when it started having a major issue. At first I thought the CD player was skipping around on the song I was playing. It would play ok for a few seconds and the sound would cut out for about a half second. This just kept repeating over and over . Than I hooked up a old Toshiba HD-DVD player using the optical out. Put the same CD into that player and got the same exact results I that I had with the CD player. Next I hooked up my Panasonic Ultra HD player again using the optical out. And again got the same awful results. I have the Topping E30 set in the DAC mode. There is not much in the way of to many more adjustments on this unit. I thought perhaps I had to manually change the bit rate between using the TV and the players but there does not seem to be any way of doing that. Funny thing is my old $18.00 FiiO DAC has no problem playing any of the players or TV. Anyway, I sent Appo Audio an email describing the problem and I am awaiting a response from them. Meanwhile, if anyone here has any solutions or knowledge, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thanks

gvl

Major Contributor
Is it an issue with all CDs or just that particular one?

OP
Billbass1

Billbass1

Is it an issue with all CDs or just that particular one?
I tried 2 different CDs. Same results. Switched back and forth between the digital outs and analog outs all using the same 2 CDs. Analog outs play fine. The problem occurs using the digital outs going directly into the Topping E30. I also used both Blu-ray players using their respective HDMI outs going into my TV and than using the optical out on the TV going into the Topping E30. Rerouting this way the E30 played perfect It’s just when I plug the players directly into the E30 when the problem occurs.

gvl

Major Contributor
I've seen reports about SPDIF input issues on Topping DACs. Maybe check in to the master E30 thread with this to get more visibility.

Top Bottom