• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7s Issue

gab

I have two DX7s DACs. The first one I purchased in April 2018 from Aoshida. It has performed flawlessly since I received it. I use it daily as a preamp/DAC using the Optical connection to my plasma TV digital output.

The second DX7s I purchased was from Massdrop in Feb 2019. It is used in a separate 2 channel system as preamp/DAC with the USB, AES, and Coax connections. This system is not used as often as the other setup. I noticed the DX7s issue before the holidays and reverted to another older DAC I had laying around for an interim solution. This is the DX7s unit I am having an issue with.

ISSUE: It powers up fine. It works and looks and appears just like the other DX7s, except it does not provide any audio output regardless of the source selected (USB, AES, Coax, Optical). It recognizes the bit rate of the digital source and displays it. It has the original firmware that it came with. I have done several "Factory Resets" to no avail. I reached out to Drop yesterday and was informed that I'm basically on my own for support. When I first noticed the issue I reached out to a Topping person active on ASR but never received a response from him. I just sent an email yesterday to Topping at [email protected] for guidance, so I look forward to their response.

For the life of me I can't see that I am doing anything wrong, it appears to be some sort of failure. But I know that there are a lot of DX7s users here at ASR so I thought I would post my symptoms and see if others may have seen an issue like this with their unit OR what the issue might be. Or maybe something to try in the meantime that is not obvious to me. Thanks

gab

gvl

Major Contributor
Provided you checked the basics like the correct output is set and the unit is not muted it may well be a hardware failure. From anecdotal and personal experiences there have been issues with the DX7s boards like chips not soldered properly and such, tpdz.net folks might be willing to help but you'll need to ship it to China for that and wait.

OP
G

gab

UPDATE: Well this is embarrassing. It appears that somehow the DX7s got put into the headphone only mode instead of the headphone / DAC mode it should have been set to (I probably pressed the big center button on the remote without realizing it). Since I never tested with a headphone, I never realized it until I was reading up on another post here at ASR and was reminded of the display arrows.

So this one is on me for just being a super "head chopped off" dumbass. Nothing at all wrong with the second DX7s.

Thank you gvl for your response. Now I'm off to go apologize to the Topping folks....

gabdumbass

Top Bottom