• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro

Inside it.

Attachments

• dx7p-en-12.jpg
    dx7p-en-12.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 669

Rollaven

It's listed on Aliexpress for 600$ together with some impressive APX555B measurements. It can also be bought in Europe through Audiophonics.

Category 5

APOS lists this already for $599 in US. Not bad based on the improvements they've made. I like the socketed amps, though 47920 is probably as good as anything else you'd likely try. Some people think OPA1612 is a little warmer/rounder so anyone that likes that, or thinks they hear a difference, may like those better,

DX7s used two 9038q2m stereo DACs in balanced fashion, running two channels in parallel per side. Now they use a single 9038 Pro which is 8 channels, so they must be running 4 per side. Balanced output will make this an option for some pro audio use as well, but the 4V RMS is a little low on the balanced outs (about 14 dBu vs 18-24dBu in most Pro DACs).

Excited to see how you all measure this one, because the competition is heating up in this arena, and a converter of this caliber, at this price, seems like a treat compared to just a couple of years ago.

I am not one to necessarily choose ESS over AKM, and have not heard the D70 (maybe it's close to this?) but the DX7s is a stellar converter for the few hundred bucks they are fetching now, and this looks like a natural progression.

Particularly, I can see this subbing for the DAC3, ADI2 and HILO for studio DAC use. At $599 those others would have to be a significant step above this, and based on Topping's track record I can't see that they will be.

Last edited:

Category 5

Is there any XLR to XLR adapter that can reduce the output impedance?

You can trade Volume for Power, and vice versa. It would take an active device, so probably best solution is a better headphone amp. I think these are DACs with headphone amps tacked on, rather than a true all in one device.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
for reference: https://tinyurl.com/y6gfm6hj

claimed 122 sinad?!? the large chinese design houses are just in a pissing match at this point. hah!

Indeed, looking forward for Amir's measurements on this one. If all they say it's true, then this might be the cheapest DAC with a SINAD of 122dB. Here's Topping's claimed measurement:

eede91c1-9591-4e11-92cb-d92b8c5363b8.jpg

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
4.7 ohms if you don't use the "balanced" headphone XLRs - still a major disappointment compared to the Atom and other 1-ohm headphone amps.

Well, it's TPA6120a2 (AD8397) and it's somehow normal the output resistance to be a bit higher. However, I wouldn't worry much for headphones having a DC-resistance >=32 Ohms. This output buffer has been tested by several people and only on 8-20 Ohms there might be troubles with the low-end bass.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I purchased SMSL M500, but I am very shocked that some fatal problems occurred.
So I have great expectations for DX7 Pro.

Jimmy

The headphone amplifier is based on LME49720 opamps, not TPA6120, the pictures available are too low res, so it's difficult to see what they are using as output buffers, anyway the reason for the output impedance seems to be that they have added output resistors for stability and protection, but it's difficult to see.

Anyway, it seems to be a simpler design than the the Sabaj D5, the Sabaj includes an Altera Max FPGA which is probably used at least for upsampling, but price is not much higher (Audiophonics sells the DX7 Pro for 499€ excl. VAT), and aesthetically I like the Topping much better (silver version and a more compact chassis).

Sadly, it seems that the Matrix Element X will remain untouched as a SOTA AIO solution, although at a much higher price point.

Well, it's TPA6120a2 and it's somehow normal the output resistance to be a bit higher. However, I wouldn't worry much for headphones having a DC-resistance >=32 Ohms. This output buffer has been tested by several people and only on 8-20 Ohms there might be troubles with the low-end bass.

Category 5

The headphone amplifier is based on LME49720 opamps, not TPA6120, the pictures available are too low res, so it's difficult to see what they are using as output buffers, anyway the reason for the output impedance seems to be that they have added output resistors for stability and protection, but it's difficult to see.

Anyway, it seems to be a simpler design than the the Sabaj D5, the Sabaj includes an Altera Max FPGA which is probably used at least for upsampling, but price is not much higher (Audiophonics sells the DX7 Pro for 499€ excl. VAT), and aesthetically I like the Topping much better (silver version and a more compact chassis).

Sadly, it seems that the Matrix Element X will remain untouched as a SOTA AIO solution, although at a much higher price point.

Looks like LM49720 into AD8397. Lots of hate for TPA6120 but for the majority of cases it's fine. Such a high performance DAC with an improved headphone out as most people want would be prohibitive to the price point Topping is able to meet here. Same goes for those neutrik jacks we wish we had, which would increase cost for zero audible benefit, and minimal functional benefit.

Anyway, I am curious as to how well the new headphone design will improve upon the TI monolithic design, since it likely incurred a decent cost penalty of its own. I'm guessing it will be less of an issue, but still invite some complaints.

I am tempted to pre-order one of these, but I know it will be a short time before we see these sub $500, so I'll wait for that. ;)

Did you see that ? The I/V convertor op-amps has the writing erased.

Reactions: trl
Top Bottom