• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro

amjosh

Looks like the performance of the AK4499 is about the same as the ES9038PRO. However, would be interesting to compare the two products if they have similar circuits besides the DAC chip.
I don’t understand this comparison. Just looking at products from Topping, ES9038 products are close in price to AK4497 products with AKM products actually more expensive. The AK4499 based will be even more so. What’s the basis of this price difference?

ZeDestructor

I don’t understand this comparison. Just looking at products from Topping, ES9038 products are close in price to AK4497 products with AKM products actually more expensive. The AK4499 based will be even more so. What’s the basis of this price difference?

The removal of the headphone amp is the obvious cost saving point. How much that is worth.... we'll find out when the D90 is released.

gvl

Major Contributor
Drop sold whooping 3 units thus far on the current deal. Seems like the price needs some adjustment.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Ahh...both flagship DAC chips!

Bronco

ADI-2 feels more like a DAC than DAC+HPAMP combo. I think DX7 Pro will (could and should) be a better combo overall and still cheaper than used ADI-2 (depending on where you get it, of course).

Isn’t it true that the ADI-2 would be a much better choice for someone with sensitive IEMs?

Tks

Major Contributor
Isn’t it true that the ADI-2 would be a much better choice for someone with sensitive IEMs?
Better? Objectively yes if all you care about is the IEM consideration.

The thing is though, some folks want the three main connectivity options. XLR, Quarter inch, and 3.5mm connections. As for me personally, I got a 789 for balanced running out of the RME DAC, so I got all the connections I need. The only thing missing from the RME is Bluetooth input. In a future sometime if the RME gets a successor, Bluetooth input, XLR 4-pin output, and perhaps 4499 AKM Dac chip and expanded DSP processor (to allow for something like 10 to 20 band PEQ) would be truly game over. Oh and a screensaver function ;P

Bronco

Better? Objectively yes if all you care about is the IEM consideration.

The thing is though, some folks want the three main connectivity options. XLR, Quarter inch, and 3.5mm connections. As for me personally, I got a 789 for balanced running out of the RME DAC, so I got all the connections I need. The only thing missing from the RME is Bluetooth input. In a future sometime if the RME gets a successor, Bluetooth input, XLR 4-pin output, and perhaps 4499 AKM Dac chip and expanded DSP processor (to allow for something like 10 to 20 band PEQ) would be truly game over. Oh and a screensaver function ;P

I didn’t mean to suggest it should be anyone’s only consideration.

I only meant to suggest that for someone who happens to own a pair of highly sensitive, high quality IEMs, it might be an important consideration. ;)

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a future sometime if the RME gets a successor, Bluetooth input, XLR 4-pin output, and perhaps 4499 AKM Dac chip and expanded DSP processor (to allow for something like 10 to 20 band PEQ) would be truly game over. Oh and a screensaver function ;P

But if you can't wait, you can always use foobar with EQ component:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

31 bands ! And much more. For free.

Looking forward to DX7 Pro though.

Tks

Major Contributor
But if you can't wait, you can always use foobar with EQ component:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq

31 bands ! And much more. For free.

Looking forward to DX7 Pro though.

Need system wide EQ sadly. 5 bands is okay for my use currently. The reason I’m avoiding Equalizer APO for example is because it introduces some inexplicable ringing, it’s not clipping (as I lower pre amp to lower levels than any of the boost values).

dropbear

Correct, and it is a bit more powerful too, but all of that comes for a price. And even though DAC doesn't perform as good as in DX7Pro, both are well beyond transparent, so ultimately it doesn't really matter.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Drop sold whooping 3 units thus far on the current deal. Seems like the price needs some adjustment.

ShenzenAudio appears to have a number of items on sale for solid discounts. Not sure if this is a one-day sale or some sort of early 11/11 sale. Relevant to this thread:

gvl

Major Contributor
The M500 is a strong competitor MQA including. The prices need to fall well below 500 to be competitive.

matyst

A couple of questions to DX7 Pro owners:

1. is there any mechanical relay click when switching data rates/sources ?

2. can the volume be controlled by software when connected via USB (e.g. when using M-DAC with Audirvana on Mac the volume on the DAC can be changed with volume slider/keys, and vice versa turning the volume knob on the DAC is reflected in the software)

Category 5

A couple of questions to DX7 Pro owners:

1. is there any mechanical relay click when switching data rates/sources ?

2. can the volume be controlled by software when connected via USB (e.g. when using M-DAC with Audirvana on Mac the volume on the DAC can be changed with volume slider/keys, and vice versa turning the volume knob on the DAC is reflected in the software)

No click, just an interruption in output.

On Mac, you control volume with the slider, just like you would the internal audio. I have the DAC set to DAC only, without preamp function.

Marutks

Have you tried Focal Stellia ( 35 ohms ) cans with DX7 Pro? No background noise?

I tried Burson C3 ref amp with my stellias and it didn't work well. There was too much background noise (hiss).

Top Bottom