• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro

MysterE

Does anyone know if this can be used in Australia? (240v) Obviously an IEC isn't hard to acquire.

EDIT: I spoke to 'Sunny' at HiFiGo and was given this response: "we got information from Topping officially, 240V is ok for DX7 pro. just the heat will inscrease a little, but it won't effect any other parameters of the DX7 pro performance"

Last edited:

Category 5

perhaps the only good thing of drop.com is that in case the unit is defective, it is easier to return (drop will send a UPS label).

I had a small issue with a DX7s and not only did Topping respond with lightning quickness, they agreed to send out a part free of charge, instead of demanding the unit be returned in a lengthy exchange process. IMO, their support would be adequate to handle any issues, though the time involved would probably increase since you'd be dealing directly through China.

I do wish the soldering quality was a little better on their products. It's not inadequate, but a little messy for my taste. Lead free solder is more difficult to work with, and these do show a lot done by hand.

dropbear

A used RME ADI-2 seems like a beter value than this, even if more expensive.
ADI-2 feels more like a DAC than DAC+HPAMP combo. I think DX7 Pro will (could and should) be a better combo overall and still cheaper than used ADI-2 (depending on where you get it, of course).

MrRalph

ADI-2 feels more like a DAC than DAC+HPAMP combo. I think DX7 Pro will (could and should) be a better combo overall and still cheaper than used ADI-2 (depending on where you get it, of course).

So what do you think of the DX7 Pro versus the SMSL M500?

dropbear

That one...well, I reckon we talk about something closer to DX3 Pro with a better DAC section, however it has even less powerful amp. With that being said, M500's independent volume control for HPout and Preout tickles all my fancies. So maybe, depending on how well DAC performs, at the end we may be looking at Sabaj D5 competitor. But maybe we can expect M700 with M500 DAC and SP200 headamp to come eventually, maybe even for the same price as DX7 Pro or just a bit higher.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if this can be used in Australia? (240v) Obviously an IEC isn't hard to acquire.

EDIT: I spoke to 'Sunny' at HiFiGo and was given this response: "we got information from Topping officially, 240V is ok for DX7 pro. just the heat will inscrease a little, but it won't effect any other parameters of the DX7 pro performance"

It has a switch for 120/240v which basically changes the configuration of the transformer primary windings between parallel and serial wiring. I don't see how Australia would be different from any other country that has 220-230v power. The voltage where I am is around 122v.

Last edited:

Jimmy

There are no DX7 Pro units out yet, so I would wait for reviews before making any judgements.

For me the perfect HP amp and DAC combo would be a unit like the ADI2 Pro FS, small and feature packed, but with AK4499, I wouldn't be surprised if RME are working on it.

MysterE

It has a switch for 120/240v which basically changes the configuration of the transformer primary windings between parallel and serial wiring. I don't see how Australia would be different from any other country that has 220-230v power. The voltage where I am is around 122v.
You are correct, Australia's nominal voltage is 230v but can exceed that by 10% as would be the case in most countries, I imagine.

Category 5

There are no DX7 Pro units out yet, so I would wait for reviews before making any judgements.

For me the perfect HP amp and DAC combo would be a unit like the ADI2 Pro FS, small and feature packed, but with AK4499, I wouldn't be surprised if RME are working on it.

I would be surprised actually. RME isn't one to release a revision every couple of years as is the trend with a lot of companies these days. On the other side of that coin, they are known to support their hardware with new software and service for decades. UNless there can be a real meaningful or measurable improvement, I'd bet they stick with the 4490. If the 4490 goes EOL that may change. Otherwise, we may see a higher chip in a similar, but different product (I.e. and 8ch expansion box or something).

Veri

Master Contributor
I would be surprised actually. RME isn't one to release a revision every couple of years as is the trend with a lot of companies these days. On the other side of that coin, they are known to support their hardware with new software and service for decades. UNless there can be a real meaningful or measurable improvement, I'd bet they stick with the 4490. If the 4490 goes EOL that may change. Otherwise, we may see a higher chip in a similar, but different product (I.e. and 8ch expansion box or something).
They might just make a more expensive offering that sits next to their current ADI-2. Call it the ADI-2 'Plus' or the ADI-3. It will surely cost more than $1k so won't be for everyone.

Evgeniy

DAC ESS 9038pro used in in current-mode or voltage-mode ? (it can work in both modes)
I see 2 OP-amps near LPF filter on foto, may be it's I/U convertors ?

Reactions: 777

dropbear

Where does that nonsense come from?
I like beefy headamps, 2W into 32Ohm load, especially for almost 1k$. I believe DX7 Pro will be similarly well performing as far as a DAC portion of the device goes, with the same pre-amp feature set and will have about 50% more power. All for 400$ less or so. ADI-2 DAC is a toy which I really don't understand, for decades we have been fighting to reduce the amount of digital fckery and now people are melting from an idea of having a compressor, EQ and I don't know what else on a reach of...a clumsy interface. I am sure it is an unpopular opinion, but whatever...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
DAC ESS 9038pro used in in current-mode or voltage-mode ? (it can work in both modes)
I see 2 OP-amps near LPF filter on foto, may be it's I/U convertors ?

I/V converters for sure, but markings have been erased (perhaps OPA1612, who knows...).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
No, where from? I just had a good look to manufacturer's pictures. Have a look few pages back, more people identified stuff on DX7PRO's bord.

However, waiting for first buyer to get out the top case.

Category 5

Did Amir contact them for a unit? I’m sure his site is indirectly responsible for half of their sales.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
it's golden week in china, and apos' product page had it as shipping mid-oct., so it might take a bit. i think we have a pretty good idea of how it performs though.

amjosh

How much would be the difference between DX7S and pro? Presumably only the removal of ESS hump?

Top Bottom