• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+

villason

That cannot be true. The product is irrelevant for that kind of money. If that's true I would go straight to the DX3.

Toku

Major Contributor
Amir's APx555 isn't transparent enough to measure the D90SE.
He's basically just measuring the THD+N of his AP.
The D90SE can do 127.35dB SINAD (0.000043%) with a transparent enough measurements rig. See here.
You're right!
Topping should provide us with a product in which all functions work reliably rather than measured numbers!
Too many defective products!

August

Carlo2AC

As much as it is irrelevant it is still kinda weird it not being fully balanced for that price

I am waiting on reviews but all it seems to do is make the cheaper models more attractive as it stands

benji

USB type B in 2022! My biggest complaint with the dx7pro is the usb b doesnt hold up well when you're using it plugged into a laptop on your lap. Any movement results in the usb connection breaking, even to the point of causing a MacOS kernel panic for me a couple days ago. A USB C input on the front panel would work much better imo.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's the Max Power vs Load for every Topping AIO currently sold:
Topping AIO_ Maximum Output Power before clipping (knee) vs Load (2).png
Data is from L7Audiolab.com

Toku

Major Contributor
DX7 Pro was measured by L7Audiolab.
MQA has been removed from DX7 Pro.

bboris77

I am shocked that the official review has not been posted yet here :)
The suspense is killing me.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
USB type B in 2022! My biggest complaint with the dx7pro is the usb b doesnt hold up well when you're using it plugged into a laptop on your lap. Any movement results in the usb connection breaking, even to the point of causing a MacOS kernel panic for me a couple days ago.
Stupid question, but have you tried another cable? I can jiggle the USB cable on my trusty old scanner all I want during operation, and it's not bothered in the least. Granted, it's just USB 1.1 at 11 Mbit/s, but still.

VariousArtists

I am shocked that the official review has not been posted yet here :)
The suspense is killing me.
Unless there is any major surprise (and looks like there won’t be judging by the Chinese review), I am not too interested in another review on a traditional Topping product lol

Hxx

USB type B in 2022! My biggest complaint with the dx7pro is the usb b doesnt hold up well when you're using it plugged into a laptop on your lap. Any movement results in the usb connection breaking, even to the point of causing a MacOS kernel panic for me a couple days ago. A USB C input on the front panel would work much better imo.
I wish they would start focusing more on the user experience .. usb c better remote better knob more intuitive menu maybe an app with an eq etc. topping typically nails measurements but everything else is pushed to the side. Can only speak from my experience with the dx3 pro+ which at $200 I’m not too concerned but at $700 it caters to a different market.

Last edited:

pimy

For information

escalibur

Crazy that you don’t get balanced outs at $700? Doesn’t seem right
Probably the biggest disappointment of this model. It's not the end of the World but it would still be justified to have a fully balanced combo for such price.

Toku

Major Contributor
Probably the biggest disappointment of this model. It's not the end of the World but it would still be justified to have a fully balanced combo for such price.
Why are you so obsessed with HP output?
Balanced outputs don't make much sense for extremely low impedance devices like the HP.
The HP amplifier called the balance type is the same as the BTL method of the speaker amplifier.
At most, the grounds of the left and right units are separated.
So I don't really care if HP amps are balanced. It's just a business strategy thing.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Balanced outputs don't make much sense for extremely low impedance devices like the HP.
The HP amplifier called the balance type is the same as the BTL method of the speaker amplifier.
So I don't really care if HP amps are balanced. It's just a business strategy thing.
If it were balanced, it would have 3.5-4 watts of power, making it quite good for hard to drive phones.

Toku

Major Contributor
The new DX7 Pro does not have MQA. Looking at Topping's other DAC products,

DX Series has only DX5 out of 3 models
E Series is installed in E50 and EX5 among the three models
D Series is equipped with only D90SE among 6 models
Of the 12 models above, only 4 models are equipped with MQA.

My impression of MQA is that it is difficult to play music smoothly, and even if you listen to it, there are parts that are difficult to hear due to the switching operation from PCM to MQA.
I can't even feel the sound quality effect described in the technical commentary of MQA.
Opinions are divided on MQA, but I welcome Topping's cautious approach to MQA.
I'm currently using two E50s that can use MQA, but if the current operating conditions continue, the next model won't need MQA.

escalibur

No I'm not obsessed. I just think that being a fully balanced would add more flexibility to a $700 combo regardless which headphones you try to drive. This is just my opinion.

I'm sure this will change sometimes in the future as measurement results are beyond excellent, output impedance is also 'fixed' so there aren't many areas left for improvement, which is a good thing of course.

villason

@amirm what's going on with the review? You don't know how to say it's not worth $700 over the cheaper options from Topping?

Top Bottom