• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ vs RME ADI-2 Pro FS R

NMixes

I already own an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, but recently got a good offer for it and I'm thinking I could get two DX7 Pro+ for that money, one for home and one for my mixing studio. I never use the EQ on the ADI, all the EQ I might need I do it in software.

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two? I'm currently using the ADI with DCA Expanse headphones.

KomoGomolaa

I've had the ADI-2 DAC FS v2 (AK4493), which I've changed for DX7 Pro+ recently, since RME was just overkill for me. Subjectively, Topping to me sounds more relaxed and has definitely more air in the treble, which I seem to enjoy much more and is definitely easier for me to listen to for longer periods. In double blind test, carefully level matched, both DACs set to linear phase reconstruction filters, I could easily tell on certain tracks (which were treble sensitive) that I simply preferred Topping against RME - it's always nice to hear very clearly two different cymbals as two distinct instruments instead of one. That was the reason I went for Topping. I use it with Audeze and Audix headphones. Feel free to read more in "official" DX7 Pro+ thread here. If you have a chance to compare, just do it and make your own decision - a friend of mine is just opposite of me and swears by his RME, and I fully accept that - everybody has a preference.

sonitus mirus

I've had the ADI-2 DAC FS v2 (AK4493), which I've changed for DX7 Pro+ recently, since RME was just overkill for me. Subjectively, Topping to me sounds more relaxed and has definitely more air in the treble, which I seem to enjoy much more and is definitely easier for me to listen to for longer periods. In double blind test, carefully level matched, both DACs set to linear phase reconstruction filters, I could easily tell on certain tracks (which were treble sensitive) that I simply preferred Topping against RME - it's always nice to hear very clearly two different cymbals as two distinct instruments instead of one. That was the reason I went for Topping. I use it with Audeze and Audix headphones. Feel free to read more in "official" DX7 Pro+ thread here. If you have a chance to compare, just do it and make your own decision - a friend of mine is just opposite of me and swears by his RME, and I fully accept that - everybody has a preference.
I can't believe what you wrote without any evidence to back it up. What is the exact filter you are using with the RME device? How did you perform the double blind test and volume match the devices under test?

Edit: What were the tracks used in your testing?

Trell

Major Contributor
I can't believe what you wrote without any evidence to back it up. What is the exact filter you are using with the RME device? How did you perform the double blind test and volume match the devices under test?

Edit: What were the tracks used in your testing?
And hopefully he made sure that any DSP is turned off in the RME. Aside from the PEQ, tone controls and dynamic loudness that changes the sound there is also other settings like de-emphasis and crossfeed.

Here is link to a post showing the effect of de-emphasis:

Last edited:

KomoGomolaa

I have not said anything against RME, in fact I have been using it and was very happy, can even recommend it, but its features were just overkill for me. It's all about choice and what you prefer.

I'm not supposed to answer your questions regarding your tone of your replies, but I will make an exception here:
- foobar w/ abx plugin with friend's assistance
- true rms multimeter for level matching
- RME set to Sharp, Topping set to filter 5
- 44.1kHz/24 bit FLAC files via ASIO
- everything on RME (eq, deemp, etc.) turned off, Topping sound control turned off too
- I'll give you two specific tracks with which I've been 100% able to always correctly pick Topping in the test: Nosferatu - Wild Side and Bon Jovi - Always

Make anything you want from it. And to all of you ASR cult followers who strongly believe that SINAD transparency threshold is always the only variable to imply that two DACs will 100% sound the same and that you cannot hear any differences between them, I would strongly recommend that you better look at THD vs. frequency plots and make your own conclusions from it.

I think there's lot more to it than just looking at the APx SINAD-king dashboard.

Trell

Major Contributor
And to all of you ASR cult followers who strongly believe that SINAD transparency threshold is always the only variable to imply that two DACs will 100% sound the same and that you cannot hear any differences between them, I would strongly recommend that you better look at THD vs. frequency plots and make your own conclusions from it.
Straw man argument.

People here look at all the measurements, so when you compare two excellently measuring devices and write “Subjectively, Topping to me sounds more relaxed and has definitely more air in the treble” we ask how you tested.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already own an RME ADI-2 Pro FS R, but recently got a good offer for it and I'm thinking I could get two DX7 Pro+ for that money, one for home and one for my mixing studio. I never use the EQ on the ADI, all the EQ I might need I do it in software.

Has anyone had the chance to compare these two? I'm currently using the ADI with DCA Expanse headphones.
You don't use the ADC or the EQ ?
Then it's probably overkill, indeed.

But since you own a studio, are you reasonably sure you won't need its capacities some day ?

Last edited:

sonitus mirus

I have not said anything against RME, in fact I have been using it and was very happy, can even recommend it, but its features were just overkill for me. It's all about choice and what you prefer.

I'm not supposed to answer your questions regarding your tone of your replies, but I will make an exception here:
- foobar w/ abx plugin with friend's assistance
- true rms multimeter for level matching
- RME set to Sharp, Topping set to filter 5
- 44.1kHz/24 bit FLAC files via ASIO
- everything on RME (eq, deemp, etc.) turned off, Topping sound control turned off too
- I'll give you two specific tracks with which I've been 100% able to always correctly pick Topping in the test: Nosferatu - Wild Side and Bon Jovi - Always

Make anything you want from it. And to all of you ASR cult followers who strongly believe that SINAD transparency threshold is always the only variable to imply that two DACs will 100% sound the same and that you cannot hear any differences between them, I would strongly recommend that you better look at THD vs. frequency plots and make your own conclusions from it.

I think there's lot more to it than just looking at the APx SINAD-king dashboard.
If you are easily hearing differences, it is more likely something in your setup is the culprit or one or both of the devices are faulty. It is incredibly unlikely that there would be any audible differences.

Nobody is intentionally disparaging you, but you have presented a scenario that requires a considerable amount of evidence to demonstrate its accuracy.

All I can suggest is that you verify all of your steps in the process before jumping to any conclusions. That your results seem to support your apparent personal opinions with regards to some agenda against SINAD and some group of ASR members is also a red flag to me about your motives.

Hopefully my comment does not come across as being too harsh, but I am a rather blunt person and take no offense when responded to in a similar manner. I am here to learn, and you have provided information that could require further analysis. Perhaps a short section of the music where a difference is easily identified could be shared for others to repeat the same ABX test or to analyze/compare the files?

OP
N

NMixes

You don't use the ADC or the EQ ?
Then it's probably overkill, indeed.

But since you own a studio, are you reasonably sure you won't need its capacities some day ?

Thanks for your answer!
I've never used the ADC in the two years I've owned it, and I used to use the EQ at the beginning but now I prefer doing it in software, much more flexible.

I'm only mixing in the box and have many other good converters if I need inputs, I just don't want to step down from the quality of the DAC and headphone amp.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Reliability and RME wins easily .

Sure but it costs about as much as 2-3 absolutely fine DACs from topping/smsl.

I have for example no need for the DSP stuff the RME offers. I can just do that in Roon. (With better EQ settings available and way simpler to do).

But if someone uses the DSP and headphone amp in the RME it's really difficult to find a better all-in-one unit , that is this reliable and of high quality.

Trell

Major Contributor

I have for example no need for the DSP stuff the RME offers. I can just do that in Roon. (With better EQ settings available and way simpler to do).

But if someone uses the DSP and headphone amp in the RME it's really difficult to find a better all-in-one unit , that is this reliable and of high quality.

Absolutely!

My RME DAC is connected to my PC and I don't want to use PC software for EQ, and for the same reason I've Genelec SAM monitors that have room EQ on board. Do note that the RME DAC has many more features than just EQ. As its for desktop I use it with headphones where I do use the onboard EQ.

lordhumungous

Well maybe its cheaper depending on when your Topping breaks . I had a DX5 dac and one day after having it for 4-5 months the screen went into a firmware updating mode
BY ITSELF !! Others have had this happen too and i could not update it. It was dead in the water and Shenzenaudio was a pain in the ass!

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Well maybe its cheaper depending on when your Topping breaks . I had a DX5 dac and one day after having it for 4-5 months the screen went into a firmware updating mode
BY ITSELF !! Others have had this happen too and i could not update it. It was dead in the water and Shenzenaudio was a pain in the ass!

Buy by local retailers and warranty will be their problem. I would buy topping or smsl stuff only from audiophonics.

Boxermotor

Hopping on this a little late, but I have the same question. I have the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and all I do with it now is listen to music on near-field studio monitors and a good set of headphones. I liken it to owning a Ferrari in order to run to the supermarket when needed - I will likely never take advantage of all its functionality, although the ability to balance and equalize each channel is helpful as my ears don't hear the same (I suspect this is true for most people). Will the Topping DX7 Pro+ give me comparable audio quality and headphone power? Are there compelling reasons to keep the RME?

lordhumungous

Hopping on this a little late, but I have the same question. I have the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and all I do with it now is listen to music on near-field studio monitors and a good set of headphones. I liken it to owning a Ferrari in order to run to the supermarket when needed - I will likely never take advantage of all its functionality, although the ability to balance and equalize each channel is helpful as my ears don't hear the same (I suspect this is true for most people). Will the Topping DX7 Pro+ give me comparable audio quality and headphone power? Are there compelling reasons to keep the RME?
Biggest compelling reason to keep the RME is RELIABILTY! Topping, if you look around this site , measures well but has reliability issues.

OP
N

NMixes

Do others agree? I was about to order a DAC and amp
I ended up buying an extra DX5 and keeping the RME. I decided to keep it just for the EQ and the fact that I already had it and would have to sell it at a loss, the DX5 has been super solid so far (6 months) and sounds equally as good as the ADI.

mbirand

i wonder whether both topping and rme have crossfeed ?
how is the ui on the rme ? do i have to have a degree on it to navigate and operate ?

Top Bottom