• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

nsfgp

@staticV3 OK I might have misunderstood his problem then. Tried to reread his problem just now and still confused why there is issue.
"....i have headphones and active monitor speakers. every time i want to use headphones i have to turn the volume down or the otherway around when using the speakers again." -> there should not be any need to do this.

I use a DX3Pro+ and my headphone never gets unplugged and same as the line out connecting to my A300 amp. The beauty of the control is there is separate remote button for HP out only and line out only and each has independent volume setting memory(if line out is Pre mode only of course). I never use the HP+LineOut mode and do not find it useful at all.
Just hit a remote button to switch between using HP out and line out(in what ever pre/dac mode I desired) is all I do/use. I never need to mess with the volume when I want to switch between the 2. And I never need to disable/unplug my headphone either.
The DX7Pro works the same way as far as I know.

Easa

Hello,

Please, i currently own DT880 250Ohm, but also planning an upgrade. Would this Amp/Dac be enough to use Audeze LCD-X or something like Fostex TH900/TH909 to their full potential?

Thank you :)

urfaust

I got the dx7+ pro as a part of a second setup today. I get the drop out in optical with a Samsung S95b, the only way i found to fix it is to put the dac in "SYNC" mode, but the moment i do that and begins to cycle the inputs i get a "DAC ERROR" and it gets stuck (i think when it reaches IIS in the cycle)

Anyone encountered that?

gvl

Major Contributor
I got the dx7+ pro as a part of a second setup today. I get the drop out in optical with a Samsung S95b, the only way i found to fix it is to put the dac in "SYNC" mode, but the moment i do that and begins to cycle the inputs i get a "DAC ERROR" and it gets stuck (i think when it reaches IIS in the cycle)

Anyone encountered that?

I had a similar issue with the earlier non-pro DX-7 model, it was a hardware issue - badly soldered dac chips. It was intermittent at first but finally the thing completely bricked. I had to send it to China for repairs, Topping took care of it I only had to pay for shipping one way.

urfaust

I had a similar issue with the earlier non-pro DX-7 model, it was a hardware issue - badly soldered dac chips. It was intermittent at first but finally the thing completely bricked. I had to send it to China for repairs, Topping took care of it I only had to pay for shipping one way.
Thanks, it's only when i put the dac in SYNC mode to avoid optical tv dropout. I don't have issues in USB. Was it for every inputs for you?

gvl

Major Contributor
Thanks, it's only when i put the dac in SYNC mode to avoid optical tv dropout. I don't have issues in USB. Was it for every inputs for you?
As far as I remember yes, it would just show DAC error on power up.

abhi8569

Noob question warning!

I am planning to buy this DAC to drive my Adam audio monitors using balanced xlr and sennheiser hd650. Everything looks great to me but I don’t understand the purpose of 12v trigger? What exactly it is and what is it going to impact my use case? I‘ll mostly use usb input from my windows machine and bluetooth for my mobile devices.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t understand the purpose of 12v trigger? What exactly it is and what is it going to impact my use case?
It is a 12 volt output that is intended to turn on amplifiers and that sort of stuff. The amplifier will have a 12VDC trigger input and when it detects the 12VDC from the trigger output the amplifier will turn on automatically. It's a fancy power switch thingy. It is not going to be used in your case. Your Adams will most likely have a audio signal detect that engages the ON operation and gets the music flowing.

LucaJones

I am planning to buy this DAC to drive my Adam audio monitors using balanced xlr and sennheiser hd650. Everything looks great to me but I don’t understand the purpose of 12v trigger? What exactly it is and what is it going to impact my use case? I‘ll mostly use usb input from my windows machine and bluetooth for my mobile devices.
if you primarily use usb input and bluetooth, the 12V trigger may not be relevant to your setup as it's commonly used for controlling power to other audio equipment in more complex setups.

hayabusaxps

has anyone else noticed this, with the setup:
DAC: topping dx7 pro plus
AMP front: QSC isa 750 set to 75% knob volume amplification (-4db marking)
AMP sub: crown CTS3000 goes to the subs
modified martin logan 6.5" aluminium cone drivers and the medium size AMT. running at 4.3 ohms ave.

everything is running in balanced cables and i ohmed out the cables to make sure thier perfect.
the xlr i built, their shielded, aluminum wrap, and i terminated the shield ends with copper tape then soldiered them locked(the tape) then extended soldier to the gnd, on both ends.
XLR to phenix terminal/plugs

internal wires are +,-, gnd, and shield wrap, ohmed the cables to ensure their perfect.

randomly 1 channel will start outputting high frequency white noise (white ish).
power cycling the just the dac and setting back to the -15db volume stops the noise on the 1 channel.

when channel 1 starts outputting noise i can swap XLR cables connected at the dac and the noise will move to the other speaker, essentially indicating its coming from the dac connection.

hayabusaxps

has anyone else noticed this, with the setup:
DAC: topping dx7 pro plus
AMP front: QSC isa 750 set to 75% knob volume amplification (-4db marking)
AMP sub: crown CTS3000 goes to the subs
modified martin logan 6.5" aluminium cone drivers and the medium size AMT. running at 4.3 ohms ave.

everything is running in balanced cables and i ohmed out the cables to make sure thier perfect.
the xlr i built, their shielded, aluminum wrap, and i terminated the shield ends with copper tape then soldiered them locked(the tape) then extended soldier to the gnd, on both ends.
XLR to phenix terminal/plugs

internal wires are +,-, gnd, and shield wrap, ohmed the cables to ensure their perfect.

randomly 1 channel will start outputting high frequency white noise (white ish).
power cycling the just the dac and setting back to the -15db volume stops the noise on the 1 channel.

when channel 1 starts outputting noise i can swap XLR cables connected at the dac and the noise will move to the other speaker, essentially indicating its coming from the dac connection.
i contacted topping and apos and havent heard back from them in like a week???
and its a fairly new unit, i bought it used though. and was getting the warranty transferred when apos ghosted me i feel.
even though its transferable, and then the issue arose or rather i noticed and ive still been ghosted. topping and apos.

ommadusk

I updated the driver and then updated the firmware to 1.90. Afterwards I switched the device of at the back to go into the menu. A day later my left speaker started to get crackles. I checked all the connections and switched the xlr cable and it was still happening so I switched the device off at the back and turned it on again which has solved it for the time being. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm using a new amp so it might be a problem with the amp. The DAC has been working well.

hayabusaxps

yup i have to power cycle the dac everytime it comes up, i updated the dac firmware as well a few days ago no change.
i get more of a pop now when the noise comes back, like silent, pop then ongoing noise.

ommadusk

It's my new amplifier.

ommadusk

yup i have to power cycle the dac everytime it comes up, i updated the dac firmware as well a few days ago no change.
i get more of a pop now when the noise comes back, like silent, pop then ongoing noise.
I hope they get back to you soon. Did you get the warranty transferred because that's a start?

BrooklynNick

When the Mac I have it connected to wakes up, I sometimes I get this issue. In my case, it sounds more like the data is scrambled than like white noise. I was blaming Roon, until I read this. For me, it is a minor problem as it only happens occasionally and power cycling fixes it. Also, I use headphones with it. If I used speakers, I'd consider this a big deal and worry about my tweeters. (I had the same issue with the D10, which should have tipped me off that it was Topping's fault!:facepalm:)

Last edited:

BrooklynNick

I hate to say it, because I love my D90LE/A90D combo and it has been problem free, but I'm going to have serious reservations about buying Topping gear in the future.

Last edited:

ommadusk

I updated the driver and then updated the firmware to 1.90. Afterwards I switched the device of at the back to go into the menu. A day later my left speaker started to get crackles. I checked all the connections and switched the xlr cable and it was still happening so I switched the device off at the back and turned it on again which has solved it for the time being. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm using a new amp so it might be a problem with the amp. The DAC has been working well.
Unfortunately I was correct. I thought it might have been the amplifier. I've done all the switching of wires. My left DAC XLR channel has loud crackles, loud enough that it's disturbing me when it's at idle. I've had it for about a year. It's intermittent and switching it off at the back and turning it on again helps.

ommadusk

I hate to say it, because I love my D90LE/A90D combo and it has been problem free, but I'm going to have serious reservations about buying Topping gear in the future.
Some people have posted as having problems with the A70 Pro recently, there's the L90D and the PA5. Of course people are more likely to post when they have problems. My PA5 broke so I've had a 0 success rate. I did expect the PA5 to break but I'm reluctant to buy from them. I bought both pieces of equipment at the end of last year so they haven't lasted long. I had the D90LE for a short time and I loved it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom