• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

gvl

Major Contributor
I parted ways with my DX7 Pro too. It’s weird but I just couldn’t shake off the initial impression that it sounded too forward and, excuse me for using audiophile lingo, somewhat brittle and etched. I enjoyed it in general but that thought was bothering me. It’s weird but I couldn’t really tell it apart in AB switching from my Sabaj D5, so I’m going to file this under my brain playing games. I picked a slightly used SMSL M400/SP400 combo, and it seems to be working better for me.

Veri

Master Contributor
I parted ways with my DX7 Pro too. It’s weird but I just couldn’t shake off the initial impression that it sounded too forward and, excuse me for using audiophile lingo, somewhat brittle and etched. I enjoyed it in general but that thought was bothering me. It’s weird but I couldn’t really tell it apart in AB switching from my Sabaj D5, so I’m going to file this under my brain playing games. I picked a slightly used SMSL M400/SP400 combo, and it seems to be working better for me.
Well. In any case it's "cool" to own an AK4499 DAC since they'll become collectibles if AKM can't produce something similar in years to come.

gvl

Major Contributor
Well. In any case it's "cool" to own an AK4499 DAC since they'll become collectibles if AKM can't produce something similar in years to come.

Right, that was a part of the thinking process, plus the DAC chip sound signature, you know;)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Actually I should be the higher output impedance and higher noise floor of the headphone amp section.

gvl

Major Contributor
Actually I should be the higher output impedance and higher noise floor of the headphone amp section.

Dunno, I used the DX7 mainly with speakers on my desk with plenty of background noise from my laptop fan, as for headphones I have HD6XXs, so the higher output impedance shouldn’t have been an issue. Like I said, it was probably imaginary but it lasted.

Last edited:

vco1

How would the DX7Pro pair with an Audiophonics MPA-M400ET?

And will it be sufficient to drive an AKG K712 Pro?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
How would the DX7Pro pair with an Audiophonics MPA-M400ET?
Fine. Max power into 8 ohms = 200 W and change with the default 20 dB gain setting, estimated output noise level = 34.1 µV(A) (-98.4 dB(A) ref. 2.83 V), and the input is an easy load.

And by "an" you mean two of these monoblocks, right? ;)

And will it be sufficient to drive an AKG K712 Pro?
Easily. Peak out is ca. 116 dB SPL, output noise <0 dB SPL even at high gain (rule of thumb for headphones is <+20 dB SPL), and the AKGs with their flairly flat impedance response will just laugh at 6 ohms of output impedance (projected deviation <0.15 dB, that's safely inaudible).

I used the DX7 mainly with speakers on my desk with plenty of background noise from my laptop fan,
Yikes. :eek: I wouldn't let anything near my audio that kept a small fan running for any amount of time. Even the best ones have a fair bit of midrange output, even if it's just broadband noise. Give me a quiet traditional PC under the desk any time of the day. Let's just say this is not the kind of environment I would consider conducive to evaluating the finer points of audio performance.

gvl

Major Contributor
Yikes. :eek: I wouldn't let anything near my audio that kept a small fan running for any amount of time. Even the best ones have a fair bit of midrange output, even if it's just broadband noise. Give me a quiet traditional PC under the desk any time of the day. Let's just say this is not the kind of environment I would consider conducive to evaluating the finer points of audio performance.

It’s a laptop provided by my employer that I use for work, fortunately it has a power switch.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It’s a laptop provided by my employer that I use for work, fortunately it has a power switch.
Funny, my work laptop is also sitting here docked in, but this is not my primary workplace. Even when running, I tend not to stress it too much so most of the time the 7200 rpm spinning rust is the biggest noise concern. I would upgrade it to an SSD, but since it no longer has functioning standby mode since an unsuccessful RAM upgrade (*fail*) and is no longer a spring chicken I'm not overly motivated to do so... At least the manufacturer went to some effort at reducing noise transmission to the chassis, my own one has the drive hard-mounted and - you guessed it - received an SSD upgrade.

fraa

Is anyone using DX7pro directly connected to a power amp?
I thought I would but then realized that it has DAC mode in addition to the preamp mode. The output in DAC mode is equivalent to the maximum volume in preamp mode.

The problem is, the modes can be switched with a push of a button on the remote. I am worried if I connect DX7pro to the power amp and use it in preamp mode, I may accidentally switch it into DAC mode, resulting in full volume and breaking the speakers or my ears or both.

Am I missing something? Is there any way to prohibit DX7pro from going to DAC mode easily?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Is anyone using DX7pro directly connected to a power amp?
I thought I would but then realized that it has DAC mode in addition to the preamp mode. The output in DAC mode is equivalent to the maximum volume in preamp mode.

The problem is, the modes can be switched with a push of a button on the remote. I am worried if I connect DX7pro to the power amp and use it in preamp mode, I may accidentally switch it into DAC mode, resulting in full volume and breaking the speakers or my ears or both.

Am I missing something? Is there any way to prohibit DX7pro from going to DAC mode easily?
Yes there is, but not a very convenient way.
Turn off dac completely including rear switch. While pressing the rotary knob turn on the rear switch. You will now enter the system menu, if i'm not mistaken there you can select dac or amp mode. Depending on your needs you will have to change that setting again over and over.

fraa

So I am thinking of replacing my integrated amp with some power amp, such as Benchmark AHB2 and Cambridge Audio Edge W.
Is it a good idea? How can I tell if it would work well?
I plan to use balanced inputs to the amp.

AHB2 has three gain modes with Low-Gain = 22 dBu (9.8 Vrms), Gain = 9.2 dB. Input impedance is 50k Ohms (normal mode) 1M Ohm (common mode)
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-ahb2-power-amplifier

In the case of Edge W, it is said "the voltage gain was 22.25 dB (or about 13 V/V)" and input impedance is "102k Ohms".
https://audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2712

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning

kiyu

Hi All,

I got a Topping Dx7 pro, for less than 6 months, everything was working good, I am happy with the device but never use many options just USB and headphones 6.5 or 4.4mm, recently I got a MT -602 small "tube amp", device was set to P+L ( headphones amp + RCA/XLR) , someday I changed to RCA everything working, when I back to PO , left channel was dead.. back to RCA all good, turned on and off the device, still the same left channel was completely silence.
Next morning turn on pc and Dx7 , everything was back to normal, the left and right channels working fine. ..

today I realise if I back and forth with RCA+xlr to PO on PO left channel again dead, then go to rca+xlr wait for 20/30 seconds, and click on PO+L(headphones + RCA) and everything back to normal all channels working fine.

it's quite strange why always is the same left channel on headphones and why it got fixed just by changing the source and wait for some seconds
Did any of you experience something similar?

fraa

What speakers will you be driving? How big is the listening room?

The Benchmark we know measures well, for a price. FYI, you can get similar performance for about half the retail price of these with a class D Hypex or Purifi based amp from March Audio, Apollon, or Nord.
Amir's Measured Amp Index:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

Right now I use Tannoy Revolution XT6F but am planning to upgrade them. The top candidates are KEF R7 and R11. I might also be able to get my hands on a used Revel F228Be. So the amp replacement will be after I replace the speakers. I am getting ahead of myself a bit.

Thanks for pointing to all these other amps. They will be surely in my list. I haven't looked at them very carefully yet, but the reviewed Nord Three SE 1ET400A seems to be gone from their store, at least in that exact name. Edit: is this the same one?: https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-three-se-1et400a-dual-mono-stereo-amp

Edit: the room is 12'w x 21'd x 18'h

Last edited:

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks to be based on the Purifi module, so basically yes. These are all Hypex board based amp builds and at least one Purifi board that, when implemented well by the builder, provide excellent class D based amplifier solutions. The Purifi based boards are state of the art as far as low distortion power goes, the Hypex boards falling short of those numbers, but arguably an inaudible difference.

Forgot to mention Buckeye Amps is a US based builder, who has good prices and participates in this forum:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/
The NC502MP is 2 x 350 wpc at 8 ohms for $649 shipped for example. Point being, with these Hypex and Purifi boards available, no need to spend big $$ on amps to get top performance and power.

Those are all well measuring speakers, all excellent choices IMO. Your room is on the larger side, so if you like to listen at a good volume, more power is better.

Last edited:

Triamping

Hello! I'm excited because I'm gonna buy a Topping DX7 Pro tomorrow, second hand :)
What are the things to look for to make sure all is working normally?
I'm bringing my Sennheiser HD600 for the listening session.

Last edited:
Top Bottom