• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Satyadhara

First of all, thanks for the detailed measurements and the review!
I've spent the last few days mulling over different options of upgrading my system, and would be grateful for your opinions and experiences, as I'm finding it difficult to decide whether to get a Topping D70 or the Topping DX7 Pro.

I can use both to upgrade my amp, a Hegel H300, which offers a DAC-loop function. But in addition to that, I am currently using a Burson Soloist headphone amp driving my Audeze LCD 2 (pre-Fazor, 70 Ohm impedance).

So my two options are either selling the Soloist and getting the DX7 Pro or keeping the Soloist and adding the DX70 to my system. Option 1 is obviously cheaper and I'd get a headphone amp with balanced output, while option 2 is more expensive while avoiding the output impedance issue of the DX7 Pro... DX50 is not an option, as I need a balanced output to use the DAC-loop function of the Hegel H300.

Any thoughts are welcome, in particular experiences of using the DX7 Pro with the LCD 2 or, more generally, comparing digital with analogue headphone amps.

veeceem

First of all, thanks for the detailed measurements and the review!
I've spent the last few days mulling over different options of upgrading my system, and would be grateful for your opinions and experiences, as I'm finding it difficult to decide whether to get a Topping D70 or the Topping DX7 Pro.

I can use both to upgrade my amp, a Hegel H300, which offers a DAC-loop function. But in addition to that, I am currently using a Burson Soloist headphone amp driving my Audeze LCD 2 (pre-Fazor, 70 Ohm impedance).

So my two options are either selling the Soloist and getting the DX7 Pro or keeping the Soloist and adding the DX70 to my system. Option 1 is obviously cheaper and I'd get a headphone amp with balanced output, while option 2 is more expensive while avoiding the output impedance issue of the DX7 Pro... DX50 is not an option, as I need a balanced output to use the DAC-loop function of the Hegel H300.

Any thoughts are welcome, in particular experiences of using the DX7 Pro with the LCD 2 or, more generally, comparing digital with analogue headphone amps.
I'd go with option 2 because you also need headphone amp.
If it were me, Topping A90 to use as preamp and hp amp + a good DAC such as E30 or better would be my choice.
Only reason I bought DX7pro is to use it as DAC+preamp combo for my system, not headphone amp.
Nobody wants a superb DAC + preamp but mediocre hp amp, I assume

veeceem

Having Bluetooth on during standby may be a desired feature. Does the DX7 Pro wake when it detects a Bluetooth signal? (I have Bluetooth disabled.)
Yes, you can wake DX7pro up by connecting to it with your phone.
My system: DX7pro->NAD M22v2->Revel M16s
NAD is also on auto on/off mode, so I just need to connect my phone to DX7pro, it will then turn the amp on when playing anything with sound (Amp auto sense signal).
Then if I turn off Bluetooth, DX7pro will turn off after 1min or so, and NAD turn off 30min later.
Very convenience, dont need to touch anything but the smartphone :)
Usb will also turn on the DX7pro when I turn on my computer.
I also think that is a desired feature.

HiFiHonu

I'd go with option 2 because you also need headphone amp.
If it were me, Topping A90 to use as preamp and hp amp + a good DAC such as E30 or better would be my choice.
Only reason I bought DX7pro is to use it as DAC+preamp combo for my system, not headphone amp.
Nobody wants a superb DAC + preamp but mediocre hp amp, I assume
LOL, I picked up a DX7 Pro for exactly that reason. For the superb DAC and pre-amp, configuration flexibility, fully balanced circuitry and XLR outputs. I couldn't be happier as it sounds phenomenal! This is one of those upgrades in my system that kicked things up several notches.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's standby mode. But the bluetooth module is still working while standby. I think it would be a quick fix for firmware.

In that case nothing to fix, just like it would detect signal from other digital input, it should and does detect signal from BT while in stand by, else it's design flaw.

ReaderZ

Can you please read my later post? It provides more details.

Just saw that, seems issue with your phone, I been on android phone for a while now, and once I pick a BT audio device it will not auto switch to something else unless that device been disconnected first.

Just saw that, seems issue with your phone, I been on android phone for a while now, and once I pick a BT audio device it will not auto switch to something else unless that device been disconnected first.
I also think that's partial problem of Iphone, since it doesn't provide any configuration for bluetooth device. My dx7 pro is not on "auto-on" mode, so I don't expect the bluetooth is alway on. Additionally, even though it's on "auto-on" mode, once it's woke up by bluetooth. It has to be changed input manually. Therefore, I think this can be a easy fix for Topping. It's not that kind of serious design flaw but annoying inconvenience.

veeceem

I think USB port on my DX7 pro is blown/damaged. The computer(s) won't even recognize it, and it also won't recognize that it is plugged into a computer (it won't auto turn on when computer is on as it used to)
Try hard reset, no luck also.
The usb port on DAC doesn't seem to "exist" at all.
Bluetooth works fine.
Can the usb port/chip/pcb or w/e must be done to fix it be done from 3rd-party and not sending back to Topping for repair? It would be tough to send it from here.
Thanks in advance!
Pics of its pcb can be found here: http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398244.html

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I think USB port on my DX7 pro is blown/damaged. The computer(s) won't even recognize it, and it also won't recognize that it is plugged into a computer (it won't auto turn on when computer is on as it used to)
Bluetooth works fine.
Can the usb port/chip/pcb or w/e must be done to fix it be done from 3rd-party and not sending back to Topping for repair? It would be tough to send it from here.
Thanks in advance!

You tried a different cable or a different USB port on your computer yet ? I have such an issue with one of my computer's USB ports as its a little loose. I previously had a similar issue which turned out to be a spotty USB cable with intermittent issues.

veeceem

You tried a different cable or a different USB port on your computer yet ? I have such an issue with one of my computer's USB ports as its a little loose. I previously had a similar issue which turned out to be a spotty USB cable with intermittent issues.
Tried 3 usb cables, 3 computers, plug in many different usb ports. Nothing happened :/

Pluto

Forum Donor
Did you upgrade to win 10 2004 version?
It is highly unlikely that this (or any Windows update) would cause a USB device to become totally unrecognised in device manager. There are plenty of scenarios that could cause a DAC to become an “unknown device” or “unrecognised audio device” or something along those lines but when a USB device is not recognised as anything at all, the odds say that the USB port itself, or something downstream thereof, is faulty.

It is highly unlikely that this (or any Windows update) would cause a USB device to become totally unrecognised in device manager. There are plenty of scenarios that could cause a DAC to become an “unknown device” or “unrecognised audio device” or something along those lines but when a USB device is not recognised as anything at all, the odds say that the USB port itself, or something downstream thereof, is faulty.
That happened to me when win 7 to win 8 around 2012. Win 8 and later wins require driver signature from Microsoft. Then my xmos based interface were not recognizable at all for quite a while. At that time, you could only disable the signature validation through safety mode until the xmos release their authorized new diver.

Did you check the setting in Dx7 pro? Pressing the knob and power on it, you may see the menu. Probably the usb interface were disabled.

pacman

Bluetooth works fine.
Thanks in advance!
Are you trying with a 3.0 or 2.0 USB slot?

veeceem

Are you trying with a 3.0 or 2.0 USB slot?
I tried all ports, so 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports have been tested. The DAC and the computers didn't even "know" that they are plugged into each other. But when I plug the mouse/keyboard into the usb ports on the computers, it will always recognize the mouse/keyboard. So I guess the problem is not from the computer side :|

veeceem

Win7 recognizes it as "unknown device"
Win10 doesnt response.
Seem like the usb port is done for :/

Top Bottom