• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I had measured the filter response but forgotten to include it. It is now in the review:

index.php

I like #1.

Veri

Master Contributor
I had measured the filter response but forgotten to include it. It is now in the review:

index.php

I like #1.
That's odd Amir. Min and lin phase fast, min and lin phase slow are usually right next to each other. Here Apodizing and Linear Fast seem to have been switched. Documentation mistake, or is the corresponding filter programmed wrong?

Filter #1 appears to be apodizing in any case, using previous measurements (for example sabaj d5) as a reference. It has the same 'trail' pattern at the end, too..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The UI for filter is a bit hard to use as it seems when you click the option, it already advances to the next one. But maybe it doesn't. Shift them up or down one and see if they are right. I did measure them in sequence and typed in what the manual says.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I believe they switched #1 and #5 then. Possibly.
Ran them again and to my eye they look the same:

1571517566442.png

So unless you see a difference, either the manual or the firmware may be wrong.

gvl

Major Contributor
Ran them again and to my eye they look the same:

View attachment 36471

So unless you see a difference, either the manual or the firmware may be wrong.

I'm trying to grasp the concept of how white noise can be captured or produced at 44.1khz sampling. Isn't white noise spectrum infinite and we only have up to 22.05kHz per Nyquist?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php

I like #1.
Assuming any of us over the age of 25 cannot hear beyond 17k (at a stretch) wouldn't the brick wall filter sound the best due to removing the most energy above 20k from the amplifier load?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm trying to grasp the concept of how white noise can be captured or produced at 44.1khz sampling. Isn't white noise spectrum infinite and we only have up to 22.05kHz per Nyquist?
The noise is not recorded, but created in digital domain. I can have a 0 and 32,000 next to each other and with it, have infinite bandwidth for example. All I need is a computer program to create it. The pixels you see on this forum likewise have infinite bandwidth and violate Nyquist.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Assuming any of us over the age of 25 cannot hear beyond 17k (at a stretch) wouldn't the brick wall filter sound the best due to removing the most energy above 20k from the amplifier load?
It could but the level of aliasing is very small so allowing a bit of it while preserving the full bandwidth is not a bad idea.

gvl

Major Contributor
The noise is not recorded, but created in digital domain. I can have a 0 and 32,000 next to each other and with it, have infinite bandwidth for example. All I need is a computer program to create it. The pixels you see on this forum likewise have infinite bandwidth and violate Nyquist.

Gotcha. Thanks.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Oh one note: this is a new product. I am not vouching for its reliability. Please don't buy it early and blame me if there are issues. :) My unit is working flawlessly so far.
So I need your advice Amir,whatever you recommend I'm gonna buy,should I get this?good stuff is coming at me too fast!!!

AndrewDavis

This is going to be one of those DAC/AMPs that people buy just for the DAC, like the RME ADI-2.

antdroid

Reviewer
@amirm is there any chance you can run measurements using the 4.4mm output? Output impedance being my biggest question mark on this unit. Otherwise, I'd love to have one of these at work. :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is going to be one of those DAC/AMPs that people buy just for the DAC, like the RME ADI-2.
To address/clarify this issue (i.e, The DAC is great but the headphone amp section not so much), @amirm, could you an appendix to this review that evaluates the headphone amp performance in the context of other headphone amps, including the SOTA competition?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I need your advice Amir,whatever you recommend I'm gonna buy,should I get this?good stuff is coming at me too fast!!!
I am going to use it for my everyday unit. You have to decide for yourself. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm is there any chance you can run measurements using the 4.4mm output? Output impedance being my biggest question mark on this unit. Otherwise, I'd love to have one of these at work. :)
I measured the output power versus distortion+noise already (50 ohm). I don't have a fixture for impedance measurement but it is going to be 2X higher.

Top Bottom