• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Obviously, it’d just be nice not to have to pay for the amp section if folks have no intention of using it.

Regardless, thanks for the review @amirm, so many stellar DAC and amp choices this year.
As no products tested here have better performance for lower price. I don't see an issue. Maybe some people will feel better if they sell for the same price just with the headphone jacks removed.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Ok, I see, really hard to use my balanced 50 Ohm planars in such case...
BTW, did you already get M500 that was sent ?
Planars typically have flat impedance response... and therefore they work fine with higher output impedance.

I can use my Aeon with my original DX7 (10 ohm output impedance) and there is no difference vs an o2 or 789 in terms of frequency response.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I use the DX7s in my two main rigs right now as well as for demonstration when I sell headphones. I doubt I'll bother to upgrade, though I'm glad to see each generation does improve a bit.
I use the original DX7 all day every day basically as I sit at my desktop.
I watch youtube with it, listen to various genres of music, play games, talk on Teamspeak or Skype or Mumble....
I don't really see a reason to upgrade unless something really affordable comes out with better performance in the DAC section that also has so many outputs.
I've used my DX7 to drive various other DAC's (via Coax out) at headphone meets for comparisons as well as various other amps (Through single ended or balanced)... its many outputs has made it invaluable to me.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Obviously, it’d just be nice not to have to pay for the amp section if folks have no intention of using it.

Regardless, thanks for the review @amirm, so many stellar DAC and amp choices this year.
You might find yourself using it from time to time. Its more useful to have than not. And considering the performance for the price... there is not much to complain about.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
the DX7 Pro resolving the full 120 dB which translates into 20 bits of accuracy.

Does this mean that neither this DAC nor any other DACs tested here can reproduce the full 24 bits of resolution of hi-Rez tracks? Thanks!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does this mean that neither this DAC nor any other DACs tested here can reproduce the full 24 bits of resolution of hi-Rez tracks? Thanks!
That's correct. Electrical noise dominates the low order bits.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And to be clear, you can't capture more than 20 bits either for the same reason. So no high res music has music information in rightmost bits.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great performance, reasonable price. If you want an all-in-one package that approaches SOTA, seems to me you couldn't go far wrong with this one.

veeceem

And to be clear, you can't capture more than 20 bits either for the same reason. So no high res music has music information in rightmost bits.
So DX7 performance (as DAC-preamp-powerAmp) is at the "no diference can be heard" and I won't need to wait for smsl m500 review?
I feed directly from laptop thru usb, so MQA or w/e is no big deal.
And I dont use headphone, so I can also ignore the headphone part
Thanks.

Jimmy

I don't think that unless very low impedance headphones are used there will be any audible differences, I'll probably buy the silver variant (only black ones seem to be available), but more than the impedance I would like to know if the headphone amp has built in protection circuitry (DC servo, short circuit - they used output resistors, etc.), so I can feel safe plugging expensive headphones.

I wish there was a DAC only version of this so I could pair it with the Monolith 887

veeceem

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191019_153340.jpg
    Screenshot_20191019_153340.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 518

veeceem

well the Topping D90 is currently being researched/engineered so it's coming
DX7 Pro is $520 in my country while D70Pro is at $620 (shipping included). So cheaper "D90" is ...not that possible :)

Veri

Master Contributor
DX7 Pro is $520 in my country while D70Pro is at $620 (shipping included). So cheaper "D90" is ...not that possible :)
Ah no, D90 will probably cost $699/$799 or so I think. Won't be cheap because of very very high end, costly chips.

veeceem

Ah no, D90 will probably cost $699/$799 or so I think. Won't be cheap because of very very high end, costly chips.
I wont mind if they cost $1000 in the future because they're about to reach the limit (already there I guess). What I want is that they should focus on QC and durability of the products instead. :p

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I wont mind if they cost $1000 in the future because they're about to reach the limit (already there I guess). What I want is that they should focus on QC and durability of the products instead. :p
The only product that has been reported to have issue is dx3pro. And quite frankly that's not something qc can do. More of a potential design issue.

veeceem

The only product that has been reported to have issue is dx3pro. And quite frankly that's not something qc can do. More of a potential design issue.
It was a positive comment :) I didnt mean quality is bad, I just said that focus "more", which means to make it even better ^^

Top Bottom