• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

AmalfiMan

Hello!

I'm looking for a new desktop DAC and I would like to know which you would suggest me between the DX 7 Pro and the Fiio K9 Pro. Is there any difference since both have the same DAC?

Thanks!
What about features? I ordered the k9

Nicosea

I tend to think the issue was on the SPDIF receiver side so the sync/async mode would not change mch, but couldn't hurt to try.
It does not help at all, I confirm the same problem with the sync or async setting.
And even worse, also my Topping DX3 Pro has the same problem with LG TV Toslink :-(

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so long ago, I picked up a mint DX7 pro from eBay for less than £300.
I love it, it works fine ...
But I had one complaint! The Remote control!
The fact that I had to aim it straight at the device, or it won't function, was driving me crazy - So I fixed it!
The issue is that the IR sensor is soldered on the circuit board, to the right of the display, and they have allowed a tiny hole in the smoked window, for the rays to get in.
There is about 10 mm distance between the hole on the window and the sensor - this makes the whole thing very directional.
So, I desoldered the sensor, and put it on four short legs to raise the sensor by about 10 mm. see pictures.

IMG_20220708_110756.jpg
IMG_20220708_111637.jpg

IMG_20220710_211051.jpg
IMG_20220710_211100.jpg

Now, you can just about see the nipple of the sensor, through the front glass (and it is Glass!).
Before this minor mod. the operational window for the remote was very narrow (you had to point straight at the device), now, I get a 45 degree window! up down, side etc.
Better still, pointing it at walls and ceiling also works.

Incidentally, a friend has a DX3 pro+ and he has the same issue, he has asked me to fix his too - so this is a Topping issue as it seems.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That looks to be wider than the DX5.

I would assume the same updated headphone amp as the DX5 with the latest ESS flagship, "Pro" chip ?

eyecent

That looks to be wider than the DX5.

I would assume the same updated headphone amp as the DX5 with the latest ESS flagship, "Pro" chip ?
Your guess will be right. No information has been posted except for the photo, but it will use 9038pro.

SSK84

Your guess will be right. No information has been posted except for the photo, but it will use 9038pro.
I hope they also upgraded the headphone amp section. The DX5 lacks there (compared to the overall very good performance of many of these Topping devices….)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope they also upgraded the headphone amp section. The DX5 lacks there (compared to the overall very good performance of many of these Topping devices….)
I am listening to one as I type.
Headphone amp's output impedance and dodgy remote control are the only thing that needed upgrading.
I fixed the remote, and use it without headphones, no problems!
You couldn't snatch it off my hands, let alone me selling it on eBay, to get the plus version.
Not to mention I prefer the square box better.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What's wrong with the headphone amp section of the DX5 ?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Same output power as the smaller brother DX3Pro+, might not be enough for some inefficient planars.
As far as I understand from Amir's measurements, its really the inefficient and low impedance planars that will pose issues. Those that are sub-32 Ohms and hyper inefficient. There are perhaps only a few that are worth the trouble and you can count those with one hand.
It will drive ones like the DCA Stealth to fairly loud levels due to their higher impedance ratings. Perhaps just a little short of 92dB on the HE6SE based on approximate impedance extrapolation of measured levels.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I understand from Amir's measurements, its really the inefficient and low impedance planars that will pose issues. Those that are sub-32 Ohms and hyper inefficient. There are perhaps only a few that are worth the trouble and you can count those with one hand.
Count just about all Hifi man headphones, DCA headphones and Quad. These low impedance, low efficiency headphones are becoming very popular. 6 ohm output impedance on single ended and more on balanced is not a figure I like to see on an otherwise well measured quality DAC/Headphone amplifier.
It will drive ones like the DCA Stealth to fairly loud levels due to their higher impedance ratings. Perhaps just a little short of 92dB on the HE6SE based on approximate impedance extrapolation of measured levels.
The Stealth has a low impedance of 22 ohms. HE6se is at 50 ohms.
One thing Planars have going for them, is their Flat Impedance curve! Meaning, even a high output impedance amp's interaction should not change the tone of them.
But Hey! DX7 pro excels at everything else, but has a sub par output impedance, if one intends to Upgrade the device, that's where!
Don't forget that pesty directional remote thingy.

renoxd

I can't stand that after 2 years, I'm still not able to watch TV SAMSUNG QE43Q60RA with DX7 Pro....

The signal from this specific Samsung model is not in a perfect quality, or how Topping support explained to me 2 years go "The signal may hovering around the acceptance of DX7Pro"

Why after so many months, you cannot create a software like Arcam did, and give a possibility to use DAC with my TV, without noticeable signal drops after every few seconds? If Arcam was able to, why you don't? Are there any specific contraindications?

LME49990

This is the AMP section of the DX7 Pro
Will be rolling the op Amp to OPA1612, Buffers for the headphone amp is AD8397 with a Low gain of 5 and a high gain of 10

Anyone knows what the 16 pin chips are ? it seem to be some kind of switch

P7160650.jpg

DouglasteR

After the death of my Beyer T1 first gen (yes, almost 11 years of dire service) i´m upgrading to the DX7 Pro (from the DX3 Pro).

My intent is to drive a Hifiman He6seV2, anyone here have the same setup ?

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
After the death of my Beyer T1 first gen (yes, almost 11 years of dire service) i´m upgrading to the DX7 Pro (from the DX3 Pro).

My intent is to drive a Hifiman He6seV2, anyone here have the same setup ?
There is another DX7 coming in a month or so. Time will tell how good it is.
If you have a planar headphone then you shouldn't have issues with output impedance.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is another DX7 coming in a month or so. Time will tell how good it is.
If you have a planar headphone then you shouldn't have issues with output impedance.
Until someone tests and measures the plus version, there is another option.
There is a panic to quickly sell off old stocks of the pro version, both new and used.
Pick one up for cheap, and get a Topping L30 II headphone amp!
The DAC section of the pro, is fantastic, & according to a recent review, the L30 II is a fantastic headphone amp at $150 retail.
Doubt one can get a better combo for less than $1000.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Until someone tests and measures the plus version, there is another option.
There is a panic to quickly sell off old stocks of the pro version, both new and used.
Pick one up for cheap, and get a Topping L30 II headphone amp!
The DAC section of the pro, is fantastic, & according to a recent review, the L30 II is a fantastic headphone amp at $150 retail.
Doubt one can get a better combo for less than $1000.
I just got a DX7 Pro for $330 with shipping on eBay and couldn't be more happy. Average prices $450 or so but if they fall, I'd recommend one to anybody. On the Sundara with XLR cables it's really great sounding. In low gain balanced it's plenty for the Sundara. The Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm sounds good on the single ended, and in high gain at 85%-90% volume it's as loud as I would feel safe listening to for any length of time. The pre-volume war recordings I have will push it to the limit, or if you do equalizing with a preamp reduction, you'll run out of gas though on the 600 ohm versions. To be fair, even on my Topping A30 Pro you can run out of volume wheel in high gain mode with these if you both equalize a pre-volume war recording. I have a few DSD64 songs and they sound fantastic on this. Off to do some gaming now!

marses

Wondering if this is an absolute step up from JDS labds element I.

Last edited:
Top Bottom