• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, I did double-check, and above -50 dB it is 0.5dB steps. Below -50 dB it is 1dB steps.
Mine acts similarly. However, it does still skip some clicks of the wheel without any change to the output level. And faster turns of the dial are also not uniform.

Kaiede

Mine acts similarly. However, it does still skip some clicks of the wheel without any change to the output level. And faster turns of the dial are also not uniform.

I’m not seeing the skipping myself, slow or fast. Disappointing to see sample variation there.

My issue with the knob is that it seems like they messed up the damping of the press. Sometimes I get a nice damped press, other times I get a metal on metal thunk. I’m tempted to open it up and see why.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I’m not seeing the skipping myself, slow or fast. Disappointing to see sample variation there.

My issue with the knob is that it seems like they messed up the damping of the press. Sometimes I get a nice damped press, other times I get a metal on metal thunk. I’m tempted to open it up and see why.
You can pull the knob off and see if the thunk is the knob hitting the front panel. The volume control detents and push switch click are provided by the rotary encoder.

Attachments

• 20200915_194129.jpg
    20200915_194129.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 285

Kaiede

You can pull the knob off and see if the thunk is the knob hitting the front panel. The volume control detents and push switch click are provided by the rotary encoder.

Yeah, I noticed how it was put together when I removed the front panel on mine. I'm pretty sure it's hitting the front panel, since there's not a whole lot else for it to be hitting. If the knob is a simple press fit on the encoder shaft, it's on there pretty good. I'd need to get more leverage than my hands can create, and I'm not yet that curious to break out the tools to pry it off.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
It is
Yeah, I noticed how it was put together when I removed the front panel on mine. I'm pretty sure it's hitting the front panel, since there's not a whole lot else for it to be hitting. If the knob is a simple press fit on the encoder shaft, it's on there pretty good. I'd need to get more leverage than my hands can create, and I'm not yet that curious to break out the tools to pry it off.
The knob is simple interference fit, but I did have to give it a good pull. In addition, the encoder shaft has got a plastic cap on it, and the knob fits onto that. The cap is just keyed, and not serrated like some. The cap was quite difficult to remove, but it was necessary to be able to remove the board.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
Here's a photo of the volume knob and the cap.

Attachments

• 20200922_142653.jpg
    20200922_142653.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 306

Scrat

Hi, i've been using DAP for years but i'd like to go the desktop way.
I'm looking to buy a DAC+AMP or a combo for ~600€
I will be using the USB port to play music from my streamer and ï will only listen on headphone (Shure 1840 / Ollo s4x) terminated with 4.4mm jack.

I'm interested in Topping products (D50s+A50s or DX7 Pro).
Both will be roughly the same price (if i add P50+cables for D50s to A50s) so i'm wondering on how close (or different) my headphone will sound on both ?

Thanks

Kaiede

Hi, i've been using DAP for years but i'd like to go the desktop way.
I'm looking to buy a DAC+AMP or a combo for ~600€
I will be using the USB port to play music from my streamer and ï will only listen on headphone (Shure 1840 / Ollo s4x) terminated with 4.4mm jack.

I'm interested in Topping products (D50s+A50s or DX7 Pro).
Both will be roughly the same price (if i add P50+cables for D50s to A50s) so i'm wondering on how close (or different) my headphone will sound on both ?

Thanks

Seems like it'd be trade offs to me. The DX7 Pro has a better DAC stage, but if you are using headphones only, it seems like you want to focus on that more. Both DACs are good enough that I'd expect they both are transparent, and so shouldn't be the bottleneck. The A30 seemed to measure better than the DX7 Pro's headphone stage, and I'd hope the A50s wasn't a step back.

That said, if we assume that Topping's own measurements are even in the ballpark of reality, I'd go for the D50s and A50s at the same price. I might also consider an E30/L30 stack. The E30/D50s should be very comparable, and the L30's specs claim it's comparable to the A50s.

That said, I'm not really big on headphones, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt. I grabbed the DX7 Pro because I wanted balanced out for a power amp, and don't even use the headphone output at all.

Edit: Honestly, if I wanted a DAC+HPA combo, I'd drool over something like the RME ADI-2. More expensive and out of your budget, but comes with the bells and whistles that I'd want, and measures well across the board.

Kaiede

I should have checked to see if there were measurements on the A50s, since there were some posted not long ago: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...opping-a50s-headphone-amplifier-review.16290/

Seeing that, I'd happily take the D50s/A50s over the DX7 Pro if my goal was headphone use.

The L30 is also very close to the A50s, while the E30 is very similar to the D50s. So I don't think you can go wrong with either stack so long as it works with your headphones.

HoJ76

Last week I bought a dx3pro, mainly to use as headphones amplifier, I also tried it on my main speaker system, and just loved it. Yesterday I ordered a dx7pro as well.
I'm looking forward to test it.

TheMarshal

Guys, am I trippn' or do the DT770 Pro (32-ohm version) really sound that bad on the DX7 Pro? AKG K702, HD6xx and DT770 80ohm sound perfect though. Might be just me. :facepalm:

ELberto

Forum Donor
I was about to buy the DX7 Pro when I came across the hp amp output issue with low impedance headphones. I'm learning about all this hifi science and have a long ways to go... So I got questions I'd be grateful to have answered. First, with Sundaras [37ohm] should I not use the hp amp on the Topping at all? I also have what I think of as a beginner's tube amp- a Bellari HA540 MK2 and I would like to know if I can just use the Topping as a pre-amp for the Bellari to avoid the sensitivity issue? And lastly- any idea which would sound better between the Bellari and Topping if the power issue isn't an issue?

Veri

Master Contributor
I was about to buy the DX7 Pro when I came across the hp amp output issue with low impedance headphones. I'm learning about all this hifi science and have a long ways to go... So I got questions I'd be grateful to have answered. First, with Sundaras [37ohm] should I not use the hp amp on the Topping at all? I also have what I think of as a beginner's tube amp- a Bellari HA540 MK2 and I would like to know if I can just use the Topping as a pre-amp for the Bellari to avoid the sensitivity issue? And lastly- any idea which would sound better between the Bellari and Topping if the power issue isn't an issue?
Sundara is a planar which have a more or less flat impedance curve, which means it will be unaffected by the DX7 amp impedance as long as it doesn't run out of power. In fact, it's likely the Bellari amp will crap out faster than the DX7, most tube amps don't play well with planar headphones.

In short, best to just try both.

GentleEars

I just plugged in a pair of SONY MDR-A1M2, using the 4.4mm balanced cable that came with the headphones. I hear a static noise in my phones' left ear-cup. When I stop playing music, the noise is audible for a second or two, and reappears when I start playing any music.

When I switch to the 3.5mm unbalanced cable (from another SONY headset, because the original for this headphone is misplaced), plugged into the 1/4 output of DX7 Pro with an adapter, the noise is not present.

This tells me the problem is not in the MDR-A1M2 headphones, but somewhere between the 4.4mm balanced output of DX7 Pro, and the 4.4m cable that came with MDR-A1M2. How can I determine if the problem is in the DX7 Pro's 4.4mm output, or the cable? I don't have another 4.4mm cable handy.

Veri

Master Contributor
I just plugged in a pair of SONY MDR-A1M2, using the 4.4mm balanced cable that came with the headphones. I hear a static noise in my phones' left ear-cup. When I stop playing music, the noise is audible for a second or two, and reappears when I start playing any music.
This sounds like grounding noise, odd that it would show up in 4.4mm and not 6.3mm, but it likely comes from upstream: you are probably using USB, correct? If you could try optical input and see if it's still there, that could confirm it.

ELberto

Forum Donor
Sundara is a planar which have a more or less flat impedance curve, which means it will be unaffected by the DX7 amp impedance as long as it doesn't run out of power. In fact, it's likely the Bellari amp will crap out faster than the DX7, most tube amps don't play well with planar headphones.

In short, best to just try both.
Much appreciated. In my research I didn't find mention that planar headphones don't do well with tube amps. Anyways- great info- thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
In my research I didn't find mention that planar headphones don't do well with tube amps. Anyways- great info- thanks!
A hybrid tube amp that is mostly solid state with a tube "stage" could probably handle it okay, but a "true" tube amp might not play nice with it. It depends on how clean it can delivery the power to your planar headphone, chances are it will clip and distort at the volumes you listen at. It all depends.

ELberto

Forum Donor
So far no problem at all with the volume range I like though I've turned it up high a few times and it was still very clean. I generally listen at medium-ish volumes nowadays. But if I understand what is being said the Topping should be at least as good as the Bellari.
I think there's a good possibility I will look for a dedicated hp amp some time in the future but for now the all in one box is what I want.

GentleEars

This sounds like grounding noise, odd that it would show up in 4.4mm and not 6.3mm, but it likely comes from upstream: you are probably using USB, correct? If you could try optical input and see if it's still there, that could confirm it.

I was actually using Bluetooth (gasp!). I usually use the USB connected to Raspberry Pi, but my wife was using Spotify, so I couldn't make use of SpotifyConnect running on Raspberry Pi.

Are you saying the noise is at the USB connected to Raspberry Pi? But I've been using the USB connected to the same Raspberry Pi for over a year without experiencing any noise. I usually output to a power amp to drive my speakers, but did occasionally test headphone output (1/4'') with other headphones. Today, I tested the 4.4mm balanced headphone output for the first time, and noticed a very audible noise in the MDR-1AM2.

Top Bottom