• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I just bought a used DX7 Pro on eBay and the volume control is quite temperamental. Half the time it skips steps and sometimes steps in the wrong direction. I read about other people having similar problems earlier in this thread. Otherwise I really like this DAC, but I'm thinking that I should return it as this wasn't mentioned in the description and I'm concerned that it will get worse. What do others think?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought a used DX7 Pro on eBay and the volume control is quite temperamental. Half the time it skips steps and sometimes steps in the wrong direction. I read about other people having similar problems earlier in this thread. Otherwise I really like this DAC, but I'm thinking that I should return it as this wasn't mentioned in the description and I'm concerned that it will get worse. What do others think?

My DX7 Pro’s volume control knob does the same thing but it works perfectly with the remote.

Martin

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have literally never touched the knob, only use the remote. No issues at all.

Sektor7G

I bought mine new last Thursday and I have not had any issues with volume skipping. Try doing a "factory Reset" from the settings menu and let us know if that helps.

HiFiHonu

I haven't experienced the skipping with mine yet, and I only used the knob during the first few days of ownership. I've been using my Harmony One with it. With that said, I don't expect it to be perfect. My observation has been that most digital knobs seem to skip from time to time if turned aggressively/too quickly. But if you're making moderately paced adjustments and it always skips that's a problem. I wonder if some contact cleaner like Deoxit would help with that, but then you'd have to open it. I also second the "factory reset" suggestion.

bilzebubba

I especially like that the DX7 Pro wakes up when I turn my computer on.

Was thinking of getting this one to replace the NAD D3045 that I've been using as a Dac/Preamp only (since its amp section is so underpowered at 60w for my 86db speakers, plus the NAD has only RCA-out for Preamp out), but what I like about the D3045 is how it wakes up when Roon tells my CCA Audio to play...anyone know if this unit would wake up via a signal into the Toslink, or is it USB only?

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
My DX7 Pro’s volume control knob does the same thing but it works perfectly with the remote.

Martin
I have literally never touched the knob, only use the remote. No issues at all.

My remote works just fine as well, but I like to use the nice clickey control on the device. I've got a DX3 Pro as well and the volume control on that still works flawlessly after about a year so it's disappointing that it's so temperamental on the more expensive DX7 Pro.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My remote works just fine as well, but I like to use the nice clickey control on the device. I've got a DX3 Pro as well and the volume control on that still works flawlessly after about a year so it's disappointing that it's so temperamental on the more expensive DX7 Pro.

With the number of reports of this problem with the volume knob they either cheaped out on the part or got a bad batch. If I was the original owner I'd definitely be contacting Topping. I like you purchased mine on the used market. The knob started malfunctioning after I had it a while. If yours was wonky off the bat I'd contact the seller to return it.

Martin

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
I bought mine new last Thursday and I have not had any issues with volume skipping. Try doing a "factory Reset" from the settings menu and let us know if that helps.
I haven't experienced the skipping with mine yet, and I only used the knob during the first few days of ownership. I've been using my Harmony One with it. With that said, I don't expect it to be perfect. My observation has been that most digital knobs seem to skip from time to time if turned aggressively/too quickly. But if you're making moderately paced adjustments and it always skips that's a problem. I wonder if some contact cleaner like Deoxit would help with that, but then you'd have to open it. I also second the "factory reset" suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions - I performed a factory reset (which was a little difficult to do with the dodgy dial), but that didn't improve it.

I wouldn't expect a digital knob to keep up if turned too aggressively either, so I turn it very slowly.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
With the number of reports of this problem with the volume knob they either cheaped out on the part or got a bad batch. If I was the original owner I'd definitely be contacting Topping. I like you purchased mine on the used market. The knob started malfunctioning after I had it a while. If yours was wonky off the bat I'd contact the seller to return it.

Martin
I also wondered if they had a bad batch, as the control is flawless on my DX3 Pro.

One thing which I've noticed is that the detents on the volume control aren't aligned with the actual steps - In some positions moving the volume control very lightly (without clicking) causes the volume to step up and down.

If would like to keep it if I can get this fixed without too much trouble, but I've contacted the seller to report the issue.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wondered if they had a bad batch, as the control is flawless on my DX3 Pro.

One thing which I've noticed is that the detents on the volume control aren't aligned with the actual steps - In some positions moving the volume control very lightly (without clicking) causes the volume to step up and down.

If would like to keep it if I can get this fixed without too much trouble, but I've contacted the seller to report the issue.

I think Topping is very good at engineering excellently measuring products. Functional details like volume pots and screens are another matter entirely. The small OLED screen praised by Amir on my D50 is garbage. There is so much burn in it is virtually unreadable. Note to manufacturers - OLED is a very poor choice when used to display static content. That and the wonky volume knob on my DX7 Pro have me worried about the quality and longevity of their devices.

Martin

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think Topping is very good at engineering excellently measuring products. Functional details like volume pots and screens are another matter entirely. The small OLED screen praised by Amir on my D50 is garbage. There is so much burn in it is virtually unreadable. Note to manufacturers - OLED is a very poor choice when used to display static content. That and the wonky volume knob on my DX7 Pro have me worried about the quality and longevity of their devices.

Martin
They nailed the screen on e30.

Sektor7G

Thanks for the suggestions - I performed a factory reset (which was a little difficult to do with the dodgy dial), but that didn't improve it.

I wouldn't expect a digital knob to keep up if turned too aggressively either, so I turn it very slowly.

I'm sorry to hear the reset did not work, I was really hoping it would.

ReaderZ

Martin

Totally agreed on DX7 pro knob, but otherwise it's an excellent device, include the screen that's been working flawlessly.

Tks

Major Contributor
Totally agreed on DX7 pro knob, but otherwise it's an excellent device, include the screen that's been working flawlessly.

Was thinking of picking up one of these, what's up with the knob exactly? I got a DX3 Pro, the knob is nice and clicky per actuation.

ReaderZ

Was thinking of picking up one of these, what's up with the knob exactly? I got a DX3 Pro, the knob is nice and clicky per actuation.

It's clicky too, but doesn't always register, not a big deal, but it's not something you expect on this price range.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Ditto with the volume knob on the DX7 Pro I picked up (new) over the summer. It has a mind of its own, sometimes moving 0.5dB per click, sometimes 1dB, sometimes zero. Once it actually moved the volume in the opposite direction than it was turned, astonishingly. Like Martin said, it works flawlessly with the remote but that never gets employed in my near field setup.

Otherwise there are no complaints so the plan here is to simply endure.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
Here's a video of the volume control on mine:

Definitely faulty. The control on my dx3 pro works flawlessly.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Here's a video of the volume control on mine:

Definitely faulty. The control on my dx3 pro works flawlessly.
That is much worse than mine is. Which concerns me. Do you know how old yours is (I think you said you picked it up second hand)?

Top Bottom