• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Will be interesting to see if the other devices from topping like E30, D50s or other models have the same issue
I have been using the optical output from my “cheap Korean TVs” for about 5 years with a variety of DACs (Topping DX7s, D70, E30) and, most recently, a Soncoz SGD1. I use a 5m fibre (far longer than the TOSLINK specification is supposed to support) and I have never experienced a glitch down to a failure of any of these DACs to lock to the incoming stream.

The Topping E30 appears to use the same SPDIF input device (AKM4118) as many of the more upmarket models, so unless something else is going on here.... is it possible that, in certain territories, something deliberate is being done to render the digital (i.e. optical) output unusable with certain programme material as an anti-copy weapon?

Pluto

Forum Donor
Change format when you have NETFLIX on to proper and you should have a sound
Yes, that was discussed earlier. Be certain that the TV menus are set to deliver PCM whatever the media format.

But an error in that respect would not be the answer to “now you hear it, now you don’t” faults. As I have explained several times, if the format is wrong you will (most probably) hear total silence or, possibly, loud wideband noise.

p.s. I installed another “cheap Korean TV” yesterday in conjunction with a Topping E30 and, you know what? It worked perfectly from the optical output.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes, that was discussed earlier. Be certain that the TV menus are set to deliver PCM whatever the media format.

But an error in that respect would not be the answer to “now you hear it, now you don’t” faults. As I have explained several times, if the format is wrong you will (most probably) hear total silence or, possibly, loud wideband noise.

p.s. I installed another “cheap Korean TV” yesterday in conjunction with a Topping E30 and, you know what? It worked perfectly from the optical output.
Gotta go into setting on the TV and play with the audio format and see which one works

renoxd

I checked the DAC with other LG TVs.
The problem doesn't exist. It seems that i have very first QLED Samsung TV with not stable audio signal...

Pluto

Forum Donor
It seems that i have very first QLED Samsung TV with not stable audio signal...
That is disturbing. Let us hope, in general, that this is a one-off fault rather than indicative of things to come. Assuming the TV was correctly sold for your territory and is supposed to have a functional optical output, you really should get it exchanged.

But first, do be sure that the optical connector shell is fitting correctly. TOSLINK ‘connectors’ can be real horrors.

renoxd

So i will need to buy converter Optical to RCA and connect RCA to CyrusOne (Cyrus doesn't have optical IN) --> Heco Aurora 700
I just wanted to avoid that solution and just used normally Topping as i should

Last edited:

renoxd

How will that help if the optical output is unstable?

I said before that when i connect TV by optical to Edifier active speakers and watch broadcast TV channels - sound is ok.
When i connect TV NETFLIX by optical to DX7 Pro - sound is ok too.
It seems that signal is not entirely bad. It is just not good enough for Topping regarding TV broadcast channels.
Maybe Cyrus will not have that problem.

//Edited
If optic Signal is ok when I connect TV to older speakers or when I watch Netflix with my DXPro, it would mean that optical output and signal itself is fine. The problem is in software not in hardware.

I just need to force someone in Samsung to fix their software :D

Last edited:
On my own experience, it doesn't make any difference at all. I think it's only a LPF to cut frequency at 47 kHz.
Additionally, the "@44.1kHz" is confusing. I am not sure if it means converted to 44.1kHz PCM.

It will help you in choosing
When contemplating buying a HD650 or HD660S the ‘best’ bet may be to pay a bit more and get the HD660S. It is a slightly ‘better’ headphone in certain aspects but slightly ‘less’ in other aspects.
For this reason I recommend to compare them and have a listen yourself first though, certainly when the price difference is still substantial.
Is it worth upgrading from the HD650 ?
When you like the tonal balance of the HD650 and are wanting a bit less ‘polite’ version of it. A little bit more ‘dynamic’ and ‘lively’ version of the HD650.
A little bit less ‘romantic’ presentation perhaps then it might be worth ‘upgrading’. https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd660s/

Can someone give some advice on setting up filters for DSD_FIR?
View attachment 67988
Works well with PCM_FIR MODE 5
ASIOProxyInstall-0.8.3 & foo_input_sacd-0.8.4 https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/foo_input_sacd-0.8.4.zip/download
View attachment 67989
[DSD][OF] Ikumi Ogasawara - Tears Of Joy - 2019 (New Age) dsd 512
https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/dsd512_music

Tobbi

I am not sure if it means converted to 44.1kHz PCM.
TOPPING service:
To explain it easily, you can just understand that all DSD signal will pass a filter, and what you setting is the cut off frequency of the filter.
As you can see from the answer, this is the cut-off line. Which you choose based on the capabilities of your speakers.

I do not convert the signal to PCM in the player, the DSD signal is fed to the native via ASIO in the DAC.

Attachments

• 3-dsd512.jpg
    3-dsd512.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 4-dsd512.jpg
    4-dsd512.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

bumelant

My DX7Pro has an option to choose between Synchronous and Asynchronous DAC mode in the boot menu. If I understand correctly this comes down to ESS chip options for SRC.
Of course asynchronous SRC is known to reduce jitter the best and it is a default option in DX7 Pro. Out of curiosity I switched it to Synchronous and surprisingly there is a not small difference in sound with USB input. The sound feels more airy and warm with SRC and more distorted/edgy with ASRC. The difference isn't massive, but it is there in acoustic recordings.... or is it? If this just my imagination playing with me? What is the reason for those differences?
Overall I'm eager to switch to Synchronous, but wouldn't just be artificailly warm? Which option is more neutral to the source signal? Topping manual isn't exactly very informative in this regard.

Veri

Master Contributor
Overall I'm eager to switch to Synchronous, but wouldn't just be artificailly warm? Which option is more neutral to the source signal? Topping manual isn't exactly very informative in this regard.

If you like sync just use sync ;) for USB, async is typically a good idea. Without measurements it's hard to say anything conclusive..

bumelant

If you like sync just use sync ;) for USB, async is typically a good idea. Without measurements it's hard to say anything conclusive..
Haha, that's very true, I was hoping maybe someone did some research on that, or maybe Topping measured it. It sounds better sync to me, but it may be just the distortion that plays well with some of the recordings, so a bit more theoretical background would be helpful.

dkinric

This would be a very easy informal blind test to do with one other person, especially as it unlikely affects volume.

dartinbout

[
TOPPING service:
To explain it easily, you can just understand that all DSD signal will pass a filter, and what you setting is the cut off frequency of the filter.
As you can see from the answer, this is the cut-off line. Which you choose based on the capabilities of your speakers.

I do not convert the signal to PCM in the player, the DSD signal is fed to the native via ASIO in the DAC.

I have got J.River finally working as a pure Asio player without too many bufferings. I've got 6k DSD files from 64 through 512. I want to use Foobar as it handles other very large files (5.1 24\192) better the J. River. So far Foobar is still silent even using your Asio settings. I've tried manipulating this without anything but silence
1593917743246.png

dartinbout

Are there any instructions as to how to open the unit. I've read that you must open the front and disconnect a cable. I don't see an obvious entry point. Does anybody know what size allen head wrench is used on the screws. I've got many Burson V6's and I ordered a set of dual Sparkos. I want to roll me me some opamps for the pre-out. I don't care about the headphone stage.

luxus

Hello,
im new hear and read a lot good stuff about this forum.
im back to music listening over headphones and try to buy my first headphone amp and dac.
I search for something that have a balanced out (4,4 would be superb for my dunu 3001 pro)
and to connect my monitor speakers on my pc.
i still deciding what other headphones i wanna buy
i have some older ones like b&o h6, but i mostly sold my stuff at the moment
the dx7 pro sounds really tempting from what it offers for that price(i think that's my price limit as well).. is there any other options that i maybe just don't see so far?
edit:
i just found dac performance index..
but with the balanced 4,4 it looks like the other alternative is the DAART Yulong Aquila II @ 640$

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
i just found dac performance index..
but with the balanced 4,4 it looks like the other alternative is the DAART Yulong Aquila II @ 640$
Topping A90 amp has 4.4mm, pair it with Atom DAC, grace SDAC, Topping E30; or any other DAC really, and you have 4.4mm for headphones and pre-outputs for speakers :)

Top Bottom