• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Bun-Bun

Hmmm. What is qc then? Run every unit for 24 hours and plug un-plug 100 times?

QC can be anything from visual inspection to destructive testing of random samples. Checks throughout the manufacturing process, tolerance checking of components, test point checking at intervals and final build, control knob checking, solder inspections, xray analysis, benchmarking, stress testing, etc.

It turning on and having basic functionality is only one minor method of QC.

Last edited:

Category 5

I wouldn’t call the volume issue a defect since rotary encoders are known for sometimes skipping a step, going two steps, or flipping back one on occasion. It’s a byproduct of using an analog signal to control a digital parameter. Encoders immune to this would be prohibitively more expensive. The fact that some of us may get a “better” unit has to do with the tolerances of the component.

That said, the soldering on the production units isn’t the best I’ve seen and a lot of it is done by hand. It’s not a bad idea to open the unit up, inspect the board and clean off residual flux and splatter, and put some thermal interface on the heat sinks. A lot of small defects can be spotted by eye and resolved easily.

intermittent headphone channe could be as simple as one of the socketed op amps not being fully inserted, or even having some flux residue on the pins. The assembly is one place topping needs to improve their products. Unfortunately, it’s an expensive upgrade.

Both my toppings had some mess from assembly and the first one had a dead headphone channel. Turns out the right balanced channel was shorted to the left so the left worked but the right was phase cancelled between two channels. I cleared the short and the unit was perfect. Topping sent me a new jack free of charge too.

Topping has the design and components right, they just have a few more inches to go on QC and assembly. That’s unfortunately the hardest part to iron out on a budget, but if you’re handy enough you can do a little clean up in your own.

Bun-Bun

I wouldn’t call the volume issue a defect since rotary encoders are known for sometimes skipping a step, going two steps, or flipping back one on occasion. It’s a byproduct of using an analog signal to control a digital parameter. Encoders immune to this would be prohibitively more expensive. The fact that some of us may get a “better” unit has to do with the tolerances of the component.

I've designed and built products with encoders, never had an issue. I've used lots of professional products with encoders, some with 20+ on the same board, never had an issue.

If the tolerances on the component they are sourcing is that bad then the design needs to be changed. That's entirely my point. And this would easily be caught with some simple QA/QC methods and given how long the DX3 Pro has been out it's rediculous it's still a problem.

It is unnacceptable for $700 CAD. Heck, it is unnacceptable for the $300 CAD I paid for the DX3 Pro. The knob isn't just volume, it is how the unit is controlled and makes changing settings impossible.

ComasSky

Hi all !

I'm very insterested by this DAC/preamp.

It would be connected to an Emotiva XPA 2.

But I still have a doubt about the use, activating the DAC mode would be catastrophic (0db) and would destroy my speakers.

Is it possible to activate this mode without paying attention via the remote control?

pacman

Hi all !

I'm very insterested by this DAC/preamp.

It would be connected to an Emotiva XPA 2.

But I still have a doubt about the use, activating the DAC mode would be catastrophic (0db) and would destroy my speakers.

Is it possible to activate this mode without paying attention via the remote control?
No, the DAC mode needs some steps to be activated.

Toku

Major Contributor
13 minutes in is the "burn rack." I forget how long they burn for, guy in the video says "until tomorrow" but no idea when those started. So, at least a day of burn in followed by testing of inputs and outputs before shipment.
After watching the production process on video, I could no longer buy the product from this manufacturer.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah, I saw this and had the total opposite reaction. Built by hand, QC checks after build, at least a day of burn in followed by another QC check. I was impressed.
Just asked topping on this. They had dx3pro running for 3 days before sending them out. Still had the issue. Some of the things are just not showing in the QC. And yes of course topping do qc. They measure distortion instead of just working for each unit. Every dx7pro has to meet the same distortion figure before sending out. They bought an extra apx555 solely for that.

ggannuch

Would you pair this with Meze Empyrean Headphones with Impedance 31.6 Ω? Use as DAC only with paired with lower output impedance amp? Or go with different DAC/Amp combo?

Thanks, @amirm great review

Bun-Bun

Just asked topping on this. They had dx3pro running for 3 days before sending them out. Still had the issue. Some of the things are just not showing in the QC. And yes of course topping do qc. They measure distortion instead of just working for each unit. Every dx7pro has to meet the same distortion figure before sending out. They bought an extra apx555 solely for that.

Yet they can't check control knobs for basic functionality or the quality of solder joints and general assembly...

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet they can't check control knobs for basic functionality or the quality of solder joints and general assembly...

Perhaps you should switch to Geshelli labs DAC and amp since you can see the solder joints and assembly through their translucent case

Bun-Bun

Perhaps you should switch to Geshelli labs DAC and amp since you can see the solder joints and assembly through their translucent case
Not even in the same realm of functionality. Not sure the purpose of your post.

veeceem

Just a quick question: DX7 Pro can output XLR and RCA at the same time, so I can just use XLR to feed power amp and RCA feed a dedicate Subwoofer?
Thanks

Tks

Major Contributor
Would you pair this with Meze Empyrean Headphones with Impedance 31.6 Ω? Use as DAC only with paired with lower output impedance amp? Or go with different DAC/Amp combo?

I'd go with another device personally. Apply the 1/10th rule to be sure as possible you don't suffer from Frequency Response shifts. So if a devices' output impedance is 6 ohms for example, make sure your headphones are 60 ohms. You could get away with 1/8th rule if you really wanted though I suppose if it's a device you absolutely love (which this device is something I see through my eyes).

Veri

Master Contributor

It would work fine, yes.

I'd go with another device personally. Apply the 1/10th rule to be sure as possible you don't suffer from Frequency Response shifts. So if a devices' output impedance is 6 ohms for example, make sure your headphones are 60 ohms. You could get away with 1/8th rule if you really wanted though I suppose if it's a device you absolutely love (which this device is something I see through my eyes).
Planar magnetic headphones don't suffer from FR shifts due to impedance mismatch.

Bjoran

Forum Donor
Just a quick question: DX7 Pro can output XLR and RCA at the same time, so I can just use XLR to feed power amp and RCA feed a dedicate Subwoofer?
Thanks
Yes. According to the manual:
DX7 Pro XLR RCA.png
http://www.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=90.html

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm. What is qc then? Run every unit for 24 hours and plug un-plug 100 times?
Someone do that kind of measurements please. I wanna be a donor.

Could replace SINAD by MBPUPC (max brutal plug un plug cycles) on the graph.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks

Yes, I have this setup, feeding two subs off the RCAs. Only note of caution is the discrepancy of the 4v output of the XLR vs 2v of the RCAs. You would need to compensate with the sub level(s), assuming they have enough power to do so.

Top Bottom