• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Bun-Bun

My DX7 Pro's knob acts just like the DX3 Pro unfortunately. Yes it will sometimes skip, go the wrong way etc...

I have mine hooked up to my home theater and use the remote which works fine.

That's really disappointing. $800 CAD the QC should be a lot better than that.

Bun-Bun

I agree, it's sad to see such a crap knob on a device this expensive. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

I don't think so, I think its hardware as one of the DX3 Pros I had before returning them was perfect on the knob, it had no slop between the notches and behaved well. My first DX3 Pro knob also was well behaved.

ClosDeLaRoche

I don't think so, I think its hardware as one of the DX3 Pros I had before returning them was perfect on the knob, it had no slop between the notches and behaved well. My first DX3 Pro knob also was well behaved.
UGH really? I had a DX3 Pro that I gave to a family member in need of a bluetooth receiver when I bought the DX7 Pro. Since the knobs on both devices behaved this way I assumed it was a quirk with Topping. Really sucks to see that some work perfect and some are crap.

ClosDeLaRoche

Apos Audio, the merchant I bought the DX7 Pro from, will take my unit back and ship me a new one. I will report back about the volume knob when I get my replacement.

ClosDeLaRoche

Update: I got my replacement in the mail. It's working flawlessly so far.

As a note Apos said that their return rate for defects is about 4%. I suppose that's about standard? I work in the wine industry and can say that's about the same percentage for corked wine!

Damn corks, I got a corked bottle just two nights ago. F***ing corks cost me over $100 this year. Ugh, the industry can't adopt screwcaps fast enough.
Ok off-topic rant over :)

Bun-Bun

Good to hear you got a good one. 4% is neither good or bad for return rate. I know of products from big OEMs as high as 15% but good is 1% or less.

Still keeping my eye on the DX7 Pro. Feature wise and interface wise it is damn near perfect.

ClosDeLaRoche

Good to hear you got a good one. 4% is neither good or bad for return rate. I know of products from big OEMs as high as 15% but good is 1% or less.

Still keeping my eye on the DX7 Pro. Feature wise and interface wise it is damn near perfect.
Bad news. The right channel on the headphone out died. This gets returned and I never buy another Topping product again.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Update: I got my replacement in the mail. It's working flawlessly so far.

As a note Apos said that their return rate for defects is about 4%. I suppose that's about standard? I work in the wine industry and can say that's about the same percentage for corked wine!

Damn corks, I got a corked bottle just two nights ago. F***ing corks cost me over $100 this year. Ugh, the industry can't adopt screwcaps fast enough.
Ok off-topic rant over :)
Could switch to those synthetic wine corks @SIY invented...

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Bad news. The right channel on the headphone out died. This gets returned and I never buy another Topping product again.
Wow, two defective ones in a row? I'm sorry, that's just unacceptable. Especially for a $600 product.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry if this sounds indifferent or rude. But genuinely, I don't understand how could two die in a row. Could you please explain a bit about use condition such as impedance of headphones, how loud you play, what cable do you use. There are isolation and protection resistors at the output already being sacrificing output impedance. I just can't understand how could this happen. Weak/cold soldering?

ClosDeLaRoche

Sorry if this sounds indifferent or rude. But genuinely, I don't understand how could two die in a row. Could you please explain a bit about use condition such as impedance of headphones, how loud you play, what cable do you use. There are isolation and protection resistors at the output already being sacrificing output impedance. I just can't understand how could this happen. Weak/cold soldering?
I used it with MrSpeakers Aeon and Ether headphones. MrSpeakers brand DUMMER and VIVO cables. Ether is 25 ohms I think and Aeon is 13. Not blasting them, normal volume.

The first unit's knob was defective, apparently this is a common QC issue with Topping.

I've no idea what's going on with the second unit. It was fine for 5 minutes, then I plugged my phone into my Modi 3 to compare with the Topping unit. When I plugged back into Topping the right channel on the headphone out was dead, both XLR and 1/4". I tried rebooting the topping, the phone, nothing worked until it suddenly just started working again for no reason.

I took it home and plugged it into my home theater, watched some witcher, all good. Before bed I decided to try the headphone out again with my TVs optical. 100% dead right channel again. RCA works fine. Rebooted the Topping, still dead.

ClosDeLaRoche

Given my experience, the history with the DX3, and some other posts I've seen about a few other models arriving DOA or dying after only a few month to a year I'd advise heavily against buying from Topping. I dont care how good something sounds or measures, if they cant get basic QC down they dont deserve our dollars.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Given my experience, the history with the DX3, and some other posts I've seen about a few other models arriving DOA or dying after only a few month to a year I'd advise heavily against buying from Topping. I dont care how good something sounds or measures, if they cant get basic QC down they dont deserve our dollars.
I mean if they aren't DOA, it is nothing with the QC. Every dx7pro and d90 are tested via an apx555. I have a dx3 and a d30. Both working fine til today. I guess you are extremely lucky (unlucky). But this is the reality, two units died. I genuinely feel bad for you.

Bun-Bun

That sucks. Sorry to hear.

I mean if they aren't DOA, it is nothing with the QC. Every dx7pro and d90 are tested via an apx555. I have a dx3 and a d30. Both working fine til today. I guess you are extremely lucky (unlucky). But this is the reality, two units died. I genuinely feel bad for you.

The volume knobs is poor QC and design. The rest could be poor QC. There is more to QC then the final output tests.

I have bought 6 DX3 Pros and only one had a perfect control knob. I see no indication that the DX7 Pro is any different. Many probably don't notice or care because they use the remote which I do not.

To me this is entirely unacceptable for the price of these units.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

The volume knobs is poor QC and design. The rest could be poor QC. There is more to QC then the final output tests.

I have bought 6 DX3 Pros and only one had a perfect control knob. I see no indication that the DX7 Pro is any different. Many probably don't notice or care because they use the remote which I do not.

To me this is entirely unacceptable for the price of these units.
Hmmm. What is qc then? Run every unit for 24 hours and plug un-plug 100 times?

ClosDeLaRoche

Hmmm. What is qc then? Run every unit for 24 hours and plug un-plug 100 times?
Schiit does something like this for every unit sold above the Modi / Magni level. They leave them running for a few days and use every input and output before shipping them.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Schiit does something like this for every unit sold above the Modi / Magni level. They leave them running for a few days and use every input and output before shipping them.
May I ask the source for the part that they run every unit for a few days? And I think testing every input and output is doable and being done.

ClosDeLaRoche

May I ask the source for the part that they run every unit for a few days? And I think testing every input and output is doable and being done.
13 minutes in is the "burn rack." I forget how long they burn for, guy in the video says "until tomorrow" but no idea when those started. So, at least a day of burn in followed by testing of inputs and outputs before shipment.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
13 minutes in is the "burn rack." I forget how long they burn for, guy in the video says "until tomorrow" but no idea when those started. So, at least a day of burn in followed by testing of inputs and outputs before shipment.
I just spent my time watching the full vid. Check. I'll talk directly to topping on this.

Top Bottom