• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

ramzi

@Alou and others: to enter the full menu configuration fully turn off your DX7 Pro, press and hold the big front button and then power on the unit with the back switch and you should be in the main menu with 15 entries, filters are number 9.

Last edited:

ramzi

Have you tried the opposite, setting LG Sound Sync to On?
Anyway, when I Google 'oled toslink dropouts' I get 160000 results, so this fault seems to be a common one, not only for LG.

Yes I am aware a lot of people have issues but it's mostly due to esoteric setups with soundbars, as I said I've had my D50 for over a year without any issues at all, last night after all the testing with DX7 I put it back and OPT works perfectly.

So I think it's valid of me to expect that the DX7 Pro would be able to handle the same OPT as the D50.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yes I am aware a lot of people have issues but it's mostly due to esoteric setups with soundbars, as I said I've had my D50 for over a year without any issues at all, last night after all the testing with DX7 I put it back and OPT works perfectly.

So I think it's valid of me to expect that the DX7 Pro would be able to handle the same OPT as the D50.
I think it's certainly valid. However, as they are different devices and there are multiple possibilities for the issues I think further testing might reveal the actual source of the problem. Topping has a good reputation for supporting their devices in general - so I would expect if it's simply an issue of the DX7 Pro itself... they will remedy the issue.

On the other hand, it's possible that something unexpected in the signal itself is handled differently (in this case better by the D50) but is not an inherent problem with the optical input of the DX7 Pro itself. I've had similar problems with optical outputs from a couple of my TVs in the past - although they only exhibited that behavior when changing channels and not while playing a consistent signal (after the initial dropout).

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heya people, so my DX7 Pro just got here as an upgrade to my trusty D50.

I have it configured like this atm, connected to an integrated amp:
AUTO (OFF), Output (LO), LO Mode (DAC), Line Out (RCA), BT (OFF), PCM FIR (MODE5)

I seem to have an issue with OPT, it's configured as OPT->RCA (DAC mode), but when playing some video content on the TV (OPT source), I get dropouts where the display shows ---kHz and then comes back with 48kHz, like it lost connection for a second or something...
I never had that issue with the D50.

Just wondering if anyone else using OPT saw dropouts like that?
I'm running OPT input now and it's fabulous. You might have a dirty connector/fingerprint when you installed?

ramzi

I'm running OPT input now and it's fabulous. You might have a dirty connector/fingerprint when you installed?
Glad to hear it, what source are you using for OPT?

Last reply I got from Topping:
We understand you got 2 different results with the same cable and signal. However, D50/D50s use ES9038Q2M to receive S/PDIF signal, but DX7PRO uses ES9038PRO. It it normal for these 2 models that have different performances. This is not a failure.

@digicidal: turns out you were right, sadly for me :(

I'll go to my audio store to finally check if my OPT works with any other source like a CD player.

Alou

Like MediumRare said there might be dirt or finger print grease on the fiber tip so you might want to clean the tips with a cloth like the one used on glasses or photo lenses or try also with another fiber cable even those cheaper black oem ones that come with most devices.
I also read though that LG TV's have issues with OPT out.
I dont have a TV in my studio to check with my DX7PRO i might bring a blueray player and see how it behaves but like i said above i check all posiible in outs and the DX7pro functions very well.
I also noticed that initially you dont hear a large difference from the D10 but if you start listening for a while and forget about machine testing and get "lost" in the sound so to speak ,you will notice a larger soundstage and more open wide sound.
If you test with recordings before the digital compression era (before late 90's) you will hear recordings with a complete new "air" to them like they were recorded yesterday.
You need to focus on the music to start hearing the differences,i am talking with only your ears as a judge.
I also thing the preamp implementation done by Topping is very well ,thats all you need these days and a good amp!

Last edited:

ramzi

First of all, thanks to everyone that chimed in with helpful suggestions and explanations!

tl;dr: DX7 Pro OPT works fine, it's the TV...

So I went to my audio store, my guy hooked up a Rega Apollo CD player to a pair of PMC full range speakers and I sat there experiencing the very rare feeling of being pissed off and extremely happy at the same time...

It was a classical music CD and man, it sounded amazing, the best part was that he had another DAC, not sure which manufacturer, but as soon as we switched over we both agreed the DX7 just has that fuller body, and it was pretty obvious in the low end.

I observed something similar when I played the first track of Kind of Blue, and that part where the bass kicks in around 1:30 was my first whoa moment as I always heard it but on the DX7 Pro I could feel the physical presence of the instrument, it had a full body.

And the store guy commented he really liked the sound of it, he said most DACs have a slight "digital" signature, and that he heard none of that with the DX7 Pro, that it's really transparent.

I guess now I need some more help if I want to fully replace my D50, one option would be to use the D50 just for the TV...
Would an OPT->COAX converter be of any use here?
Basically what would be the least ugly solution (as they'll all be ugly) to get sound from my TV to the DX7?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to hear it, what source are you using for OPT?

I'll go to my audio store to finally check if my OPT works with any other source like a CD player.
I'm feeding OPT from a Sony CD player. I also have an RCA cable from the Sony into the COA input and - of course - they're indistinguishable to the ear. I'll do an REW check when I get my calibrated mic set up.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It was a classical music CD and man, it sounded amazing, the best part was that he had another DAC, not sure which manufacturer, but as soon as we switched over we both agreed the DX7 just has that fuller body, and it was pretty obvious in the low end.

I observed something similar when I played the first track of Kind of Blue, and that part where the bass kicks in around 1:30 was my first whoa moment as I always heard it but on the DX7 Pro I could feel the physical presence of the instrument, it had a full body.
I know we're not supposed to hear differences between "good" DACs, but I swear I've had the same experience with the DX7 Pro and Kind of Blue, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall, etc.

Basically what would be the least ugly solution (as they'll all be ugly) to get sound from my TV to the DX7?
It depends what your digital output from the TV is. What options do you have?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
APOS and Amazon now at $499. My error, was DX7s.

Last edited:

Feifongx

Is this better than the Chord Hugo 1 ? I bought one used for 600 eur. Using a 58x but I'm not blown away by the Hugo, but maybe the 58x is limited.
And is having no balanced output really a big negative on sound quality?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this better than the Chord Hugo 1 ? I bought one used for 600 eur. Using a 58x but I'm not blown away by the Hugo, but maybe the 58x is limited.
Both DACs are transparent enough and shouldn't be distinguishable level-matched. On the headamp part, the DX7PRO is more powerful through. I don't know if this is needed with the 58X.

No, balanced won't improve sound quality. It's only about power.

Alou

Ramzi ,Well i dont believe you need suck a good quality DAC to get TV audio,even the D50 was overkill.
After all most use a digital out to deliver multichanel audio to their home systems.
Both dacs are stereo dacs. Do you have an AV receiver or another preamp ?
If you have an AV receiver you could just feed the opt to that one if you dont you can get a much cheaper dac or just a coax to rca little unit from the net ,they are not expensive just for tv sound and sell the D50 while it holds a good value today.

ramzi

Ramzi ,Well i dont believe you need suck a good quality DAC to get TV audio,even the D50 was overkill.
After all most use a digital out to deliver multichanel audio to their home systems.
Both dacs are stereo dacs. Do you have an AV receiver or another preamp ?
If you have an AV receiver you could just feed the opt to that one if you dont you can get a much cheaper dac or just a coax to rca little unit from the net ,they are not expensive just for tv sound and sell the D50 while it holds a good value today.

Alou, can't disagree with you there!
I do have a stereo system with a Rega integrated amp/turntable/phono stage and Dynaudio bookshelfs.

@MediumRare trying to output a digital signal to my DAC which worked without issues for the last year with the D50, DX7 Pro in the same system seems to be more sensitive to signal issues as I have short dropouts in audio no matter which cable or setting I try

But I also noticed that link I posted isn't actually correct, as I do have a standard 3.5mm audio out as well on my TV.

So.. I went full PICKLE RICK and connected a good 3.5mm->RCA to my amp, selected the Audio Out (Line Out) option and well, it works...
Assuming my goal is just stereo sound how "bad" is the 3.5mm output from a technical standpoint in my setup?
Another option would be an OPT->COAX converter and then using that for the DAC, but that's also a gamble at this point since the issue is clearly on the TV side.

Alou

Alou, can't disagree with you there!
I do have a stereo system with a Rega integrated amp/turntable/phono stage and Dynaudio bookshelfs.

@MediumRare trying to output a digital signal to my DAC which worked without issues for the last year with the D50, DX7 Pro in the same system seems to be more sensitive to signal issues as I have short dropouts in audio no matter which cable or setting I try

But I also noticed that link I posted isn't actually correct, as I do have a standard 3.5mm audio out as well on my TV.

So.. I went full PICKLE RICK and connected a good 3.5mm->RCA to my amp, selected the Audio Out (Line Out) option and well, it works...
Assuming my goal is just stereo sound how "bad" is the 3.5mm output from a technical standpoint in my setup?
Another option would be an OPT->COAX converter and then using that for the DAC, but that's also a gamble at this point since the issue is clearly on the TV side.
Well if its a stereo out jack you are ok ,if its a headphone jack the output is miliwatts very low,you will still hear but at low volumes and not quite as good.I am surprised the have optical out and not an rca out like most TV's! Anyway yes of course the sound will be better through a DAC but if you want it for regular TV i see no point ,if you listen to some channel with high quality audio music etc which i doubt they exist you might had a benefit .
Analog out to your amp is fine or get a cheap dac for $50 -60 they do exist and are quite ok for just TV audio.

Top Bottom