• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 DAC & Headphone Amplifier Review and Measurements

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Following what was posted on headfi, when you install the DX7 via USB there is a "human interface device" that will be installed aswell.
This device on windows 10 will keep the computer awake.

Interestingly I just reinstalled my DX7 via USB (was using Coax output from SMSL xUSB) and it installed as 16/48kHz?

Any idea what is inside? Dual 9038Q2M also? Doesn't look balanced tho

All there is to go on is the info-graphic posted by @Commissariat , found in the DX7s manuals and drivers folder.

TOPPING-D50.jpg

Spotify's lack of ASIO support is very frustrating. They have publicly stated that adding ASIO/WASAPI is not part of their plans going forward. I use Fidelify here and there (when I'm not listening to my digital library), the difference in quality is huge (to me), but it is a very flawed client. Where is the audiophile love, Spotify?!

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
All there is to go on is the info-graphic posted by @Commissariat , found in the DX7s manuals and drivers folder.

View attachment 10805

Spotify's lack of ASIO support is very frustrating. They have publicly stated that adding ASIO/WASAPI is not part of their plans going forward. I use Fidelify here and there (when I'm not listening to my digital library), the difference in quality is huge (to me), but it is a very flawed client. Where is the audiophile love, Spotify?!
Thank you. A desktop dac using the newest ESS 9038 chip mobile version with three inputs and digital volume. Will probably come with a switching supply, but a linear can more than likely be used also. A nice dac.

Just a suggestion. Since Amir has a multi-bit dac at the same price point and similar form factor, maybe after measuring he could possibly set up a blind listening session to gain some further insight as to how differences in measurement results may relate to sound quality.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using a chromecast and it does not look like it is doing any resampling.
The chromecast is an easy and cheap way of getting the bits out properly, but it does not handle gapless (unless fixed in the last few months) which I found annoying. There are ways of getting a Pi to do it, where you get usb async to a dac for maximum quality, but I forget which distributions do it now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
They have publicly stated that adding ASIO/WASAPI is not part of their plans going forward.
They don't have to do any more work for WASAPI as Windows 10 now recognizes it and creates that interface automatically. Indeed I have tested that with the D50 and it is plug and play that way.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The chromecast is an easy and cheap way of getting the bits out properly, but it does not handle gapless (unless fixed in the last few months) which I found annoying. There are ways of getting a Pi to do it, where you get usb async to a dac for maximum quality, but I forget which distributions do it now.
Too much work tbh, I use my DAC for everything.
When I play games the sound comes through the headphones, when I talk on TeamSpeak/Mumble/Discord I use my headphones.... when I watch Youtube or MotorTrend On Demand I use my headphones.... so basically everything but videos in Firefox and system sounds goes through my audio stack. Even if I setup an RBP to transfer via Coax.... it would be alot of work always switching back and forth.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I play games the sound comes through the headphones, when I talk on TeamSpeak/Mumble/Discord I use my headphones.... when I watch Youtube or MotorTrend On Demand I use my headphones.... so basically everything but videos in Firefox and system sounds goes through my audio stack. Even if I setup an RBP to transfer via Coax.... it would be alot of work always switching back and forth.
It sounds like you would find wasapi annoying to live with as it would block the sounds from other things when in use, I have the same thing with my office PC, and work around it by using the mixer, but getting Roon to upsample everything to what I have the speakers USB input set to, so windows does not get a chance to mangle the sound.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It sounds like you would find wasapi annoying to live with as it would block the sounds from other things when in use, I have the same thing with my office PC, and work around it by using the mixer, but getting Roon to upsample everything to what I have the speakers USB input set to, so windows does not get a chance to mangle the sound.
I thought everything uses WASAPI by default?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I thought everything uses WASAPI by default?
No, nothing uses it by default. Everything goes through the standard pipeline which resamples, dithers, changes volume, mixes channels, etc.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
No, nothing uses it by default. Everything goes through the standard pipeline which resamples, dithers, changes volume, mixes channels, etc.
So how would i use it on WASAPI? I use Equalify to be able to select which output I use. Its a $29 plugin for the Spotify desktop client on windows.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So how would i use it on WASAPI? I use Equalify to be able to select which output I use. Its a $29 plugin for the Spotify desktop client on windows.
Programs need to be specifically written to use WASAPI. I took a quick look and unfortunately Equalify does not support it. Drop them a note and maybe they do that in the future.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Programs need to be specifically written to use WASAPI. I took a quick look and unfortunately Equalify does not support it. Drop them a note and maybe they do that in the future.
That's what I plan to do

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure my point got across, the problem with wasapi is it engages exclusive mode, so no other sounds will make it to that device when in use. So if you are playing music in exclusive mode a Skype call will not ring until the music is stopped. On a multi use PC it can be a right pain, it's why the mixer is normally and correctly used.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm not sure my point got across, the problem with wasapi is it engages exclusive mode, so no other sounds will make it to that device when in use. So if you are playing music in exclusive mode a Skype call will not ring until the music is stopped. On a multi use PC it can be a right pain, it's why the mixer is normally and correctly used.
Yes I know what you mean. It wouldn't be too much of an issue for me because the only time I have things playing to it at the same time is when I am playing a game and am on VOIP.
Otherwise if I am listening to music there are no other sounds playing. Skype calls ring through my speakers which go through the USB soundbar attached to my monitor. If I pick up a call I pause my music first.
Same with videos, if there is a video I am watching then the music is paused. So if Spotify put it in exclusive mode then I would be fine with that, its just that if I was using a second device to play spotify (Ex: Chomecast Audio) I would have to swap the devices around to use it for any other purpose.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I know what you mean. It wouldn't be too much of an issue for me because the only time I have things playing to it at the same time is when I am playing a game and am on VOIP.
Otherwise if I am listening to music there are no other sounds playing. Skype calls ring through my speakers which go through the USB soundbar attached to my monitor. If I pick up a call I pause my music first.
Same with videos, if there is a video I am watching then the music is paused. So if Spotify put it in exclusive mode then I would be fine with that, its just that if I was using a second device to play spotify (Ex: Chomecast Audio) I would have to swap the devices around to use it for any other purpose.
I think squeezebox/slimserver can be made to be a spotify connect device, all the software will run on windows, in the background, but I bet it's not trouble free or simple. In theory when this is working you will be able to control everything with the normal spotify desktop client.

Top Bottom