• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

Dmitrylo

Attachments

• 20220817_142401.jpg
    20220817_142401.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 223

eyecent

Did you use the computer? I asked the topping because the playback problem was in the uapp,tidal app on my phone, but there was no answer.

When using the tidal official application, it appears as ofs, and only the uapps are mqa full-decoding, but in this case the bit rate is not fixed. There is no such problem with d90 or e50.

eyecent

Praefectus

Either way, the mqa 352k cannot be playing
It can. Played MQA 352k yesterday. Streamed some tracks from Qobuz using roon.
Couple of clicks before it started but it does the job.
But actually, I'm not quite sure if I liked the sound of it. I could hear the track second before it was converted to full mqa...

Last edited:

Dmitrylo

Did you use the computer? I asked the topping because the playback problem was in the uapp,tidal app on my phone, but there was no answer.

When using the tidal official application, it appears as ofs, and only the uapps are mqa full-decoding, but in this case the bit rate is not fixed. There is no such problem with d90 or e50.
Yes, I use PC. Sorry, I didn't read previous posts.

eyecent

It can. Played MQA 352k yesterday. Streamed some tracks from Qobuz using roon.
Couple of clicks before it started but it does the job.
But actually, I'm not quite sure if I liked the sound of it. I could hear the track second before it was converted to full mqa...
Read the preceding articles.

I think the mqa is meaningless, but there is no problem with other models, but it is a firmware problem that does not play properly.

eyecent

Yes, I use PC. Sorry, I didn't read previous posts.
My tone was a little rough.
I'm sorry. bro.

Is there any symptom that the speed of the song increases when playing 352k? When some Korean users played mqa 352k, the speed of the song increased and the pitch increased.

eyecent

Video of mqa not playing properly in uapp

Toku

Major Contributor
UAPP does not work properly without additional paid options installed.

Dmitrylo

My tone was a little rough.
I'm sorry. bro.

Is there any symptom that the speed of the song increases when playing 352k? When some Korean users played mqa 352k, the speed of the song increased and the pitch increased.
No, pitch was normal.

Praefectus

Video of mqa not playing properly in uapp
The first video.
It happens to me as well but in the end it stays at MQA and it sounds completely different after full conversion to MQA.
Streamed from Qobuz on roon and audirvana. All the same.

Here's my case:
Why is that?

Last edited:

Anthony T

I wish the toppings would work more perfectly.
Because I bought all the products that came out after 2016. The most impressive device in particular was the DX3 Pro V1.
At that time, I used Grace-designed devices, which the DX3 replaced.
Dear me, don’t you think about ventilation for your system? Theres a very good reason most components require a little air around them, it helps them work more perfectly:eek::facepalm:

eyecent

Dear me, don’t you think about ventilation for your system? Theres a very good reason most components require a little air around them, it helps them work more perfectly:eek::facepalm:
I build only one system on one desktop I have. Most are mounted on racks or desks.

eyecent

The first video.
It happens to me as well but in the end it stays at MQA and it sounds completely different after full conversion to MQA.
Streamed from Qobuz on roon and audirvana. All the same.

Here's my case:
Why is that?
Turn off mqa passtrough or down the streaming quality to hifi and it will work normally.

In your case too, the bit rate is not fixed. I want you to report to the toppings. I don't use runes on my desktop, so I can't check.

Cecosan

Confirmation of measurements and kudos to Topping. Great preamp for power amp and sub at the same time. C2500 will be replaced with 90 pre.

Attachments

• IMG20220823193904.jpg
    IMG20220823193904.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 191

julitoole

Hey guys i have the Topping dx5 now for a while and I have a weird issue. Maybe someone of you can shine a light on it for me.
I hooked the dX5 up via USB to a windows 11 Pc using apo and peace for EQ.
I have the HD650 connected via the original cable. I use amazon music and Tidal and the DX5 is on low Gain. the newest firmware is installed.

Now if I listen for a longer time on high volumes and then switch the volume around +-4-5 dB in a short time I get a static noise on it. I Experience this too when holding up or down and change volume by around 10 dB on the remote I hear a static for each drop of dB. Because of this and other reasons I had returned the first dx5 I received.
Depending on the song I can hear it down to -35 dB. is this something to worry about ? is this normal?

(take in mind english isnt my mother tongue and I am not a pro on electronics and new to hifi equipment in general)
Hope somebody has bit of wisdom to spare.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

marco767676

Hello guys
sorry if some of my question's might sound silly but I wish to be certain before purchasing the Topping DX5.

can I use this solely as a DAC between my bluesound NODE 2i ? I will go out with optical from the Bluesound the into the Topping DX5 , then back into my amp audiolab 8300 , is that okay and working ?will I hear a good increase in quality using an external DAC ? will it process MQA with no issues in this way ?
same goes for my CD player Denon DCD 600 , can I use the Topping solely as a DAC ? out from the digital output of Denon , then into the Topping , then into my Audiolab 8300

thanks in advance for your feedback
Kind Regards

Praefectus

Hello guys
sorry if some of my question's might sound silly but I wish to be certain before purchasing the Topping DX5.

can I use this solely as a DAC between my bluesound NODE 2i ? I will go out with optical from the Bluesound the into the Topping DX5 , then back into my amp audiolab 8300 , is that okay and working ?will I hear a good increase in quality using an external DAC ? will it process MQA with no issues in this way ?
same goes for my CD player Denon DCD 600 , can I use the Topping solely as a DAC ? out from the digital output of Denon , then into the Topping , then into my Audiolab 8300

Kind Regards
The DX5 can be set as a DAC only indeed.
Also, the MQA is a part of a DAC chip itself so again, yes. This should work for you.

HappyMetalGuy

Hello guys

Kind Regards
Hi if you can, try the SMSL M500 MKII and the Sabaj A20 they are more user friendly and have a better DAC chip (don’t think it really matters that much) I've tried both DX5 and SMSL and kept M500 MKII. Subjectively I only liked DX5 in valve sound mode and to me that way was like standard M500 sound. The really main reason for not going with DX5 was not to have access to all the options without disconnect it from power and the firmware updates problems reported (even if my sample did note stall, it would sometimes say it was updating even if not connected through USB)

Top Bottom