• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

crowabunga

I understand your situation.
Then, even if you check the audio device from the Windows control panel of the PC, there is no indication of Topping USB DAC there, right?
In that case, DX5 itself may be broken.
(By the way, Topping's latest driver is V5.30.)
Yes, that's right - DX5 doesn't appear. It is cold to the touch whereas before it would always be very warm. I'll have to use my built-in monitor speakers until topping can fix and return it which will make my ears bleed :(

lordhumungous

Add me to the list of the dreaded “upgrade failure “ message . I never tried to update the firmware and bought it from Amazon back the end of April . It worked fine until today .

I guess there is no solution ?

pacman

Absolutely dreadful and ludicrous. I won't never buy Topping anymore in this life.

lordhumungous

Absolutely dreadful and ludicrous. I won't never buy Topping anymore in this life.
I completely agree and i get no response from Shenzenaudio ,an authorized dealer who i bought the dac from back in April.

crowabunga

It seems like Topping has a bit of a reputation for shoddy durability. Until Topping publicly acknowledges these issues and resolves them I do not think it is responsible for reviewers and places like ASR to recommend purchasing their products, given that these defects are latent and would not present themselves during a review.

For what it's worth, I bought from Shenzenaudio's ebay account (wsz0304) and got a response this morning. They sounded willing in principle to honour the warranty but wanted some further details. Am waiting for their response and will keep you all updated.

Praefectus

It's official.
DX5 landed on my desk and it's phenomenal!

No issues so far.
Firmware upgrade without issues.
I made one by one. First upgraded to 1.37 then after 2 minutes to 1.38.

This DAC is SOOO revealing. I can hear every single, tiny detail in the music I listened a lot before - yes. Even with my old pair of MDR-1A.

Topping did a decent job on this unit. The only thing they need to do is to completely discard MQA crap.

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_002944.jpg
    IMG_20220808_002944.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 187

lordhumungous

It's official.
DX5 landed on my desk and it's phenomenal!

No issues so far.
Firmware upgrade without issues.
I made one by one. First upgraded to 1.37 then after 2 minutes to 1.38.

This DAC is SOOO revealing. I can hear every single, tiny detail in the music I listened a lot before - yes. Even with my old pair of MDR-1A.

Topping did a decent job on this unit. The only thing they need to do is to completely discard MQA crap.
Give it 4-6 months and get back to us .

Praefectus

Add me to the list of the dreaded “upgrade failure “ message . I never tried to update the firmware and bought it from Amazon back the end of April . It worked fine until today .

I guess there is no solution ?
Getting such error without flashing the firmware - sounds legit?.
Let’s check my reply tofu
I got the new V1.4 firmware
You must have come to us from the future then.
The latest one is V1.38

HappyMetalGuy

Praefectus

HappyMetalGuy

Topping's official library does not include such updates, so doing so carries a great deal of risk.
It's as official as on site it was given by costumer service. If it's not official it'll be a problem from topping side, since someone is using their brand.

eyecent

It's as official as on site it was given by costumer service. If it's not official it'll be a problem from topping side, since someone is using their brand.
Not all firmware is on the homepage. I checked other devices while replacing the firmware of the DX5. My E50 has a higher version than the firmware on the homepage.

Toku

Major Contributor
Not all firmware is on the homepage. I checked other devices while replacing the firmware of the DX5. My E50 has a higher version than the firmware on the homepage.
Please tell me the firmware version of your E50.

eyecent

When I bought it last Christmas, 1.06 was posted on the homepage. my e50 is the same version that is currently posted on the homepage. I just checked what was posted on 1.07.

My miss bro.

If you want to set the DX5 to on DAC mode(not pre) and adjust the volume of the PO, it would be better to update it to 1.40. Until 1.38, the volume cannot be adjusted in DAC mode.

Last edited:

lordhumungous

I have lots of Topping products in my house ,including two Pre90's and the DX5 . Topping PA5 too.

I have to say that for a dac to go into an updating cycle without ever attempting an update is pretty appalling software.

I have to say that I doubt I will buy any Topping products anymore, Don't need the hassle.

eyecent

I wish the toppings would work more perfectly.
Because I bought all the products that came out after 2016. The most impressive device in particular was the DX3 Pro V1.
At that time, I used Grace-designed devices, which the DX3 replaced.

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-14_10-22-29.jpg
    photo_2022-08-14_10-22-29.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 216
  • photo_2022-08-14_10-22-18.jpg
    photo_2022-08-14_10-22-18.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 217

audiofun

There is a 3.3 ohm resistor in series at the output, At best the output impedance is 3.3ohm
<=0 ohm output impedance is physically impossible
you are wrong. the 3.3ohm is in a composite configuration. so actual output impedance is still zero.

audiofun

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom