• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

garrettwp

Currently deciding on whether to purchase the DX5 or the EX5. From my understanding, both share a rather similar feature set with only minor, likely inaudible differences in technical performance. Can someone give me any reason to grab the DX5 if it costs $85 more? Don't want to regret grabbing an EX5 if the DX5 is better, but I can't seem to find a meaningful distinction. Thanks!
I had / have both. I am returning the DX5 and keeping the EX5. It provided better support for my low impedence planar headphones than the DX5. I had more headroom for power on the EX5 than DX5. I am also returning the DX3Pro Plus (same amp as the DX5) for the same reason. I feel the EX5 is a great value compared to the DX5.

Last edited:

wisechoice

Currently deciding on whether to purchase the DX5 or the EX5. From my understanding, both share a rather similar feature set with only minor, likely inaudible differences in technical performance. Can someone give me any reason to grab the DX5 if it costs $85 more? Don't want to regret grabbing an EX5 if the DX5 is better, but I can't seem to find a meaningful distinction. Thanks!
When you turn on the EX5, it starts out in standby mode until you press the volume dial, or the power button on the remote. I'm not sure whether this is the case for all inputs or not. I'm told by Topping support that this is intended functionality, and that the DX5 works right away after powering on. It's a detail, but an important one for me.

James-F

Hi, first post, I've been visiting here frequently over the years, great site!

A quick backstory into my decision of finally buying a DAC;
I have been using my trust old Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro audio interface for year, but recently I've been doing some research and want to build a dedicated hifi listening setup which consists of a Tablet+FLAC+DAC+Headphones for better experience, especially when the PC is off and there is minimal room noise from fans, etc, plus it is much more portable.

After researching for a few weeks the Topping DX5 looks like the winner for performance/feature/price ratio, but I am concerned about this "endless update loop" malfunction, 450$ is not cheap for such critical (hardware?) bug.
Before I buy one from Aliexpress with questionable return policy, would you suggest waiting until this bug is officially resolved?

PS.
I have a HiFiMan Sundara 2020 and AT-M50x.

Thank you,
James

Last edited:

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I was one of the 3? folk that reported the update loop problem here.
i bought my Dx5 from Amazon so return was super fast and easy.
I couldn't find another device that did everything quite as well as the dx5 and I like the form factor so I just bought another dx5.
No problem at all so far , its working great.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping DX5 Headphone Amp Measurements
Let's measure how quiet the unit is:
Topping DX5 Measurements Stereo 50mv Headphone Amplifier Balanced.png
Not sure if it appear later on the thread but is there a dashboard for the amplifier section?

carmol

Hi, first post, I've been visiting here frequently over the years, great site!

A quick backstory into my decision of finally buying a DAC;
I have been using my trust old Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro audio interface for year, but recently I've been doing some research and want to build a dedicated hifi listening setup which consists of a Tablet+FLAC+DAC+Headphones for better experience, especially when the PC is off and there is minimal room noise from fans, etc, plus it is much more portable.

After researching for a few weeks the Topping DX5 looks like the winner for performance/feature/price ratio, but I am concerned about this "endless update loop" malfunction, 450$ is not cheap for such critical (hardware?) bug.
Before I buy one from Aliexpress with questionable return policy, would you suggest waiting until this bug is officially resolved?

PS.
I have a HiFiMan Sundara 2020 and AT-M50x.

Thank you,
James
I bought it on amazon,
no problems at all, it works and update flawlessy

41nd

Hey guys, i got a DX5 yesterday, works fine, much better than my Aune X1S 10th Ed. - but it gets quite warm.. like a lot of warm on the alu case..
I set gain to Low and i manage to use it on like -22 db just fine with my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X.
On the quest to set it proper to generate less heat i got to the setting Auto Power ON/Off setting and here i am a bit confused: is Auto ON the setting to make it enter stand by or Auto OFF .. ?

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Hey guys, i got a DX5 yesterday, works fine, much better than my Aune X1S 10th Ed. - but it gets quite warm.. like a lot of warm on the alu case..
I set gain to Low and i manage to use it on like -22 db just fine with my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X.
On the quest to set it proper to generate less heat i got to the setting Auto Power ON/Off setting and here i am a bit confused: is Auto ON the setting to make it enter stand by or Auto OFF .. ?
Unfortunately that doesn't matter because power consumption is not lower in standby.

41nd

Uhm is there a technical advantage of me using low gain (with like -20 db volume) instead of high gain (with -30 db volume) with my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X ? Maybe less distortion (that i don't hear anyways at all) ? Thanks !

James-F

is there a technical advantage of me using low gain
Yes, Low gain has -10db lower noise floor.
The volume control is digital (in the DAC chip) so it doesn't add noise when you turn up the volume, but the headphone amplifier Low/High gain setting is configured by analog components on the PCB which add noise.
Always use the Low gain setting if you don't max the digital volume.
Switch to High gain only if you need more volume than maximum with Low gain, it depends on how power hungry the headphones are.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Trell

Major Contributor
Uhm is there a technical advantage of me using low gain (with like -20 db volume) instead of high gain (with -30 db volume) with my Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X ? Maybe less distortion (that i don't hear anyways at all) ? Thanks !

Be a little careful not to blow the drivers of your headphones, so use Low Gain.

>>>The power rating is unusually low for a PRO headphone. 30mW continuous and 100mW peak power is kind of asking for blown drivers. With normal home usage this isn’t an issue but in studios headphones can be lying on a desk and when the volume is turned up accidentally you might end up with blown drivers.<<<

41nd

So, i am quite newbie at audiophile stuff and i am trying to understand the three filters provided by DX5 so i can choose the best for my ears from the FFT Spectrum of white noise graph. So filter 1 seems to be the less distorsion free ? Then filter 2 and filter 3 is the noisiest ? Am i correct ?
In practical testing i am not sure i can hear any difference with mostly fast music like metal and rock that i listen..

later edit: wow, i have just read some more on this wonderful forum and found very valuable information, i think i understand now what pcm filters do and will test them some more !

Weird that my DX5 came with filter 3 by default.. and that's was what i used mostly but now i am gonna test filter 1 more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom