• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

audiofun

It's technically a directory, you can do "Show Package Contents" but it doesn't seem to contain anything that will work. I tried "chmod u+x" but it didn't actually change anything because the permissions were already:

drwxrwxr-x@ 3 myusername staff 96 16 Mar 2021 Topping USB DFU.app
there's a binary in the .app folder. chmod that.

audiofun

The Topping DX5 is supposed to output 1800mW into 32 ohms. Meaning it should be (roughly) around 3600mW into 16 ohms. The DCA guys told me the Aeon 2 Noires require 500mW into 16 ohms to get proper performance. Since the DX5 should be able to deliver more than seven times that, I thought it would be plenty powerful in the high gain setting.
this calculation is wrong. also there's current limiting circuit.

audiofun

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
that's alright --- then you shouldn't buy topping, as their engineer said the same thing quite a few times here in this forum. also the reason most of their premium products are not internally balanced. choose another manufacturer then.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
apparently my DX5 tried to update (without asking), but that did not work. The display alternates between "upgrading...", "upgrade success", "CPLD update" with constant click sounds, and at the end the display says "upgrade failed". Does anyone have an idea how I can get the device working again?
It was indeed a defect, the dealer replaced it.

Another question: The device is hand-warm even in standby. Power consumption is practically the same as in idle (5-5.5 W).

That means it is not really a standby, but rather a "display off", right?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
The Topping DX5 is supposed to output 1800mW into 32 ohms. Meaning it should be (roughly) around 3600mW into 16 ohms. The DCA guys told me the Aeon 2 Noires require 500mW into 16 ohms to get proper performance. Since the DX5 should be able to deliver more than seven times that, I thought it would be plenty powerful in the high gain setting.

However, using the Aeon 2 Noire's single-ended cable, I have to really crank it to around -15dB on the high gain setting to get any appreciable volume. On some music I've been listening to, any higher than that and I start to hear clipping and distortion.

I thought this amp was supposed to have oodles of power for these headphones -- I guess I misunderstood something? Or maybe there's an issue with some of the gear in my chain. Not nearly enough slam in the bass, and everything just sounds a bit thin and weak.

If the DX5 can't power this properly, I doubt the Chord Mojo 2 could do much better since it only does 600mW into 30ohms.

Got the Aeon 2 Noire. Even balanced I'm on high gain with my Singxer SA-1.

I'm using headroom management -3db and DSP in roon.

If I want really loud with something like "Rammstein" I'm often at 3-4pm on the volume knob.

There is still enough headroom left but these headphones are really current demanding

formantzero

You are hitting the current limiter, I have aeon 2s open and have been using them on the SE output of both a zen can and thx 887. I can get both amps to clip with certain songs with too much bass.

Zen can can drive them loud-ish, 887 is proper loud. My guess would be that mojo would be listenable, but not satisfactory loud.

Is there something I can read to understand the current limiting aspect? Is the DX5 just current limited? I thought a decent amount would be able to output decent voltage at a decent level of current draw.

formantzero

Got the Aeon 2 Noire. Even balanced I'm on high gain with my Singxer SA-1.

I'm using headroom management -3db and DSP in roon.

If I want really loud with something like "Rammstein" I'm often at 3-4pm on the volume knob.

There is still enough headroom left but these headphones are really current demanding

3-4pm doesn’t sound that bad? That’s a little over 25% right?

On this DX5 I have to crank it to at least -20dB to get acceptable volume and -15dB for some real punch. Beyond that and it seems I run the risk of clipping or distortion.

I had no idea these were so hard to drive. I thought they were easier than the Stealths which are much higher impedance and the DCA guys told me they need at least 500mW at 32 ohms. 500mW into 16 for these Aeon 2 noires. If Amir said the DX5 is plenty for the Stealths then I really wonder if I’m doing something wrong here or if my music is just too power demanding.

formantzero

this calculation is wrong. also there's current limiting circuit.

Well maybe it’s not double. But it’ll definitely be higher than 1800mW if the impedance is halved. And even 1800mW is more than three times what DCA recommends. So I’m at a loss why the sound is so anemic.

cheapmessiah

Is there something I can read to understand the current limiting aspect? Is the DX5 just current limited? I thought a decent amount would be able to output decent voltage at a decent level of current draw.

Not that I know of.

perridox

However, using the Aeon 2 Noire's single-ended cable, I have to really crank it to around -15dB on the high gain setting to get any appreciable volume. On some music I've been listening to, any higher than that and I start to hear clipping and distortion.

I thought this amp was supposed to have oodles of power for these headphones -- I guess I misunderstood something? Or maybe there's an issue with some of the gear in my chain. Not nearly enough slam in the bass, and everything just sounds a bit thin and weak.

If the DX5 can't power this properly, I doubt the Chord Mojo 2 could do much better since it only does 600mW into 30ohms.
I’ve seen plenty of amps quote lower output mW at 16 ohms vs 32 ohms, surprisingly. Because I also would’ve assumed it would be higher. Thanks for posting your experience though, this is what I was worried about, so I think I’m going to forego DX5 and give the A30pro + D10 balanced combo a try. Should hopefully have plenty of headroom for the Aeon 2 Noire.

eyecent

I set it in DAC mode. I set it to the headphone output , but the volume cannot be adjusted. Is this normal? Firmware 1.38.
In DX3PP, volume is adjusted in the headphone output only even in DAC mode.

Jayzqa

I set it in DAC mode. I set it to the headphone output , but the volume cannot be adjusted. Is this normal? Firmware 1.38.
In DX3PP, volume is adjusted in the headphone output only even in DAC mode.
Atm yes, it seems to be normal. Hopefully, they will fix it soon.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Well today my one month old Dx5 suddenly stopped playing and went into an endless update loop...
and it won't come out of it!
Ive tried everything.
Very strange as I didn't initiate any update and
It does not even have a USB connected to it !
Bought via Amazon so it goes back tomorrow, very sad as I really liked it.

Last edited:

xbalkugqw

Did anyone compared the DX5 and the DX7 Pro? I would like to know if and how much the DX7 Pro sounds better than the DX5, thanks!

If I have to be honest I don't really notice a difference between the DX5 and the ESS® SABRE9018Q2C of my MOBO Asus Z490-E. Further, with the Campfire Andromeda I don't notice no difference between the DX5 and the Apple Lightning Dongle too, how is this possible?!

EDIT: I barely notice a sound difference between the DX5 and the Apple Lightning Dongle connected to the HiFiman Edition XS too!

Last edited:

Steve_NZ

Well today my one month old Dx5 suddenly stopped playing and went into an endless update loop...
Ive tried everything.
My one is doing the same thing too today! I've emailed support and hopefully they will sort it out quickly. Bad timing as I was wondering about ordering another one.

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
Did anyone compared the DX5 and the DX7 Pro? I would like to know if and how much the DX7 Pro sounds better than the DX5, thanks!

If I have to be honest I don't really notice a difference between the DX5 and the ESS® SABRE9018Q2C of my MOBO Asus Z490-E. Further, with the Campfire Andromeda I don't notice no difference between the DX5 and the Apple Lightning Dongle too, how is this possible?

My one is doing the same thing too today! I've emailed support and hopefully they will sort it out quickly. Bad timing as I was wondering about ordering another one.
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure I read another post that had this same problem too.
Im just waiting for Amazon to refund me before buying something .I don't think it will be another dx5 unless topping quickly issue a fix for this.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Ive tried everything.
See

Currently deciding on whether to purchase the DX5 or the EX5. From my understanding, both share a rather similar feature set with only minor, likely inaudible differences in technical performance. Can someone give me any reason to grab the DX5 if it costs $85 more? Don't want to regret grabbing an EX5 if the DX5 is better, but I can't seem to find a meaningful distinction. Thanks!

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Currently deciding on whether to purchase the DX5 or the EX5. From my understanding, both share a rather similar feature set with only minor, likely inaudible differences in technical performance. Can someone give me any reason to grab the DX5 if it costs $85 more? Don't want to regret grabbing an EX5 if the DX5 is better, but I can't seem to find a meaningful distinction. Thanks!
EX5 gets hot, DX5 warm (even in "standby").

Last edited:
Top Bottom