• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

hidehide

What kind of balanced output do you need? Line outputs (for active speakers) or headphones with balanced cables?
What will be your take if I need a balanced output for active speaker as well? Planning to get the Focal Alpha 65 Evo and would also need a dac + headphone amp for my LCD-3.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What will be your take if I need a balanced output for active speaker as well? Planning to get the Focal Alpha 65 Evo and would also need a dac + headphone amp for my LCD-3.
With that gear, the DX5 or E50 + L50 stack starts to make more sense. Powered monitors seem to benefit from 4V drive.

hidehide

With that gear, the DX5 or E50 + L50 stack starts to make more sense. Powered monitors seem to benefit from 4V drive.
Interesting on the E50 + L50 as separate should be better than AIO.
I see the E50 only has one balanced TRS output and one SE RCA output. So either the speaker or the headphone amp will need to be sacrificed to use SE input?

Edit: Sorry, I missed out the pass through on the L50. So E50+L50 combine seems nicer than the DX5! Let me take more in depth look on it. Thanks!

Bow_Wazoo

New golfing partner for the LCD-5

20220430_194956.jpg

avoidwork

I picked one of these up out of curiosity. the 3 things i've noticed:

1. The metal chassis is much nicer in person than in photos; still don't love the look/shape of it, but it's functional (good ux via multi-functional dial)
  2. Rapid volume increase when you're above -50 is ... dangerous; I've had it jump from -45.0 to -14 with a single "click" in the dial turn; when you're above -50 it moves to .5 increments
  3. I'm so confused as to how it has 1.8w on tap but all of my low impedence headphones are requiring around 50% - 75% volume for listening levels that would be the first notch on an A90 amp (had one - same headphones).
size wise this is really nice for a desk. the time to turn off, vs turn on always leads me to DFU mode which is kinda annoying but it's user error.

Bow_Wazoo

20220502_063651.jpg

The DX5 and LCD-5 harmonize excellently with each other.
The integrated power supply, and the thereby existing connection between ground and earth, let the notorious hum of the LCD-5, not even arise.

Last edited:

avoidwork

I've noticed that the volume jumps when turning it down. Starting to think it's got a basic acceleration fn on it without a threshold; hoping they fix it with a firmware update - has happened a handfull of times since i unboxed it. I'm pretty sure this is not a debounce, due to clicks not changing in relation to result.

Really liking the simple UX; not loving the tiny click when changing inputs, but this is basically exactly what I want for a desktop dac/amp.

Kinda confused that it's got 4 pin xlr and not 4.4mm ... because convenience right? haven't seen 4pin xlr on a dap, seems like the wrong jack for 2022.

Last edited:

hidehide

I've noticed that the volume jumps when turning it down. Starting to think it's got a basic acceleration fn on it without a threshold; hoping they fix it with a firmware update - has happened a handfull of times since i unboxed it. I'm pretty sure this is not a debounce, due to clicks not changing in relation to result.

Really liking the simple UX; not loving the tiny click when changing inputs, but this is basically exactly what I want for a desktop dac/amp.
I really can’t understand why most China made product doesn’t have a proper volume knob…

Bow_Wazoo

I wonder what is meant by this. I could not find anything...

"Added a setting option for fine-tuning the full-scale volume step of 0.5dB."

Toku

Major Contributor
I picked one of these up out of curiosity. the 3 things i've noticed:

1. The metal chassis is much nicer in person than in photos; still don't love the look/shape of it, but it's functional (good ux via multi-functional dial)
  2. Rapid volume increase when you're above -50 is ... dangerous; I've had it jump from -45.0 to -14 with a single "click" in the dial turn; when you're above -50 it moves to .5 increments
  3. I'm so confused as to how it has 1.8w on tap but all of my low impedence headphones are requiring around 50% - 75% volume for listening levels that would be the first notch on an A90 amp (had one - same headphones).
size wise this is really nice for a desk. the time to turn off, vs turn on always leads me to DFU mode which is kinda annoying but it's user error.
Does the problem of jumping from -45.0 to -14 occur even when operating with the remote control?
If so, please report the problem to Topping. I think there is a bug in the software from the symptom.
If the symptom occurs only when the main knob is operated, there is a problem with the rotary encoder.
Previously, when the E50 was released, there was a bug that the maximum volume of -00 was reached when the volume was lowered from -98 to -99. Immediately reported to Topping and the fixed firmware was uploaded.

Last edited:

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I bought the dx5 for my kitchen/ dining room tv feeding a pair of KRK Rokit 7 G4 active monitors.
IMG_20220506_104507.jpg
IMG_20220506_103729.jpg

I thought the Rokits sounded pretty good out of the headphone out of the tv and that surprised me but now with the optically fed dx5 driving them via their balanced in ..
WOW what a difference, they now sound hi end! ..amazing especially given the combined cost of the dx5 and Rokits .
Plus, my (very old) Senn hd 580 Precision cans and oppo pm3s sound superb with it too.
I haven't tried my 32ohm akg k371 cans yet but with the dx5 s 1.8watts of power they should love it..to a point haha.
The new style of the dx5 looks really good and high quality in the flesh.
A great device ,I am Very happy with it.

Last edited:

hans132

I tried the product and like it at first. However when I used the volume control, every now and then the volume made a hugh jump from a single turn/click. Slightly annoying, but nothing major... that's what I thought until it went from -30db to -0db and almost blew out my ears while I attempted to turn down the volume.

Holy shit... I read a lot of very good and very bad things about Topping. I was hoping the bad things were artifacts of the past, but seriously: If you value your equipment and health, this is a no go. Defect products? That's shit, but shit happens. Malfunctioning products threatening your health? Wtf?

Toku

Major Contributor
I tried the product and like it at first. However when I used the volume control, every now and then the volume made a hugh jump from a single turn/click. Slightly annoying, but nothing major... that's what I thought until it went from -30db to -0db and almost blew out my ears while I attempted to turn down the volume.

Holy shit... I read a lot of very good and very bad things about Topping. I was hoping the bad things were artifacts of the past, but seriously: If you value your equipment and health, this is a no go. Defect products? That's shit, but shit happens. Malfunctioning products threatening your health? Wtf?
Does this symptom only occur when operating with the volume knob?
Does the same symptom occur with volume control using the remote control?

hans132

Didn't test it with remote control. Device is already gone now, so I can't test it.

Cherubael

I have a Fiio K5PRO ESS and was wondering if this is a worthy upgrade. Heavy use, gaming, working, its turned on basically all day.

pacman

I have a DX7 Pro that stopped working because of a crap rotary encoder used as volume button. A U$450 DAC that doesn't work anymore because Topping don't care about QC of a ridiculous button.

Tried to contact @JohnYang1997, which appears to be an engineer of Topping, but he's probaly too busy to help a customer solve this kind of problem.

I'm done with Topping crap and this ridiculous bandwagon on this forum. After all this years, I'm convinced that Amir has an agenda to promote these products - QC flaws aside, they sounds good, but I like my stuff to last longer.

Instead of launching the same products over the years with different names and looking for nice measures that nobody listen to, Topping should try to develop products faulty free that lasts for years.

Bow_Wazoo

By the way, did you contact Topping or the retailer?

When my A50 was defective, the processing via Shenzenaudio was completely unproblematic...

Top Bottom