• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with their signature made in China sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar made in China DAC/amp nowadays. Or even something from Shiit Audio. I wish Chinese makers can get out of their comfort zone and do something different. It will happen eventually, because what is the the actual need of yet another DAC/ HP amp...By the way is it racist to say Chinese sound or made in China sound signature? My post got removed for that. I thing there is also Japanese, German and British sound, is that racist too?
They're all made in China. What, in your opinion, is the "signature made in China sound" as opposed to British, German, Japanese and why do you think that is so?

Merkurio

Contrary to what has been said before, I really like the new design and OLED display (assuming a good knob feel and no burn in issues), but I agree that the typeface for the Topping's model names (DX5 in this particular case) is truly horrendous and scream cheapness, looks like Comic Sans.

However, superb DAC/AMP combo in the great scheme of things, as usual.

Integrated PEQ is the next big step giving the already comprehensive set of features, but I think it will take time to see it in a unit of this price and size...

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're all made in China. What, in your opinion, is the "signature made in China sound" as opposed to British, German, Japanese and why do you think that is so?
British, Japanese, East Coast, and West Coast sound all refer to *speaker design philosophies* which certainly can and do influence sound. However, speaking about DACs having a sound is nonsense—unless the DAC is so badly compromised that its deficiencies creep into the range of human hearing.

Merkurio

Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with their signature made in China sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar made in China DAC/amp nowadays. Or even something from Shiit Audio. I wish Chinese makers can get out of their comfort zone and do something different. It will happen eventually, because what is the the actual need of yet another DAC/ HP amp...By the way is it racist to say Chinese sound or made in China sound signature? My post got removed for that. I thing there is also Japanese, German and British sound, is that racist too?

Gosh, imagine be so dumb technical illiterate to attribute racial sound characteristic to a device whose only function is to convert digital 0s and 1s to an analog signal and then amplify it in the cleanest and most pristine way possible, in an audio science oriented forum.

Take your homeopathic pills and chill pal, Esoteric Audio Beliefs it's on the other side.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think the Monoprice has built in parametric EQ, but an addition of it would definitely be a treat for us consumers. What you propose would be a direct competition to the RME-ADI2, which would be good to have at the price point you suggested.
Monoprice has it afaik. This one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-monoprice-thx-desktop-dac-amp.7483/

Topping's current dac amp combos are overpriced af except entry level DX3pro+ in my opinion. Maybe they don't wanna cannibalize their stacks? These combo units feels gimped. I mean go look at DX3Pro+, DX5, EX5 and DX7 spec sheet and check their prices. There is no logic behind it lol.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gosh, imagine be so dumb technical illiterate to attribute racial sound characteristic to a device whose only function is to convert digital 0s and 1s to an analog signal and then amplify it in the cleanest and most pristine way possible, in an audio science oriented forum.

Take your homeopathic pills and chill pal, Esoteric Audio Beliefs it's on the other side.
That annoying and awkward niK is going going gone... Been kicked awhile ago. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice has it afaik. This one: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-monoprice-thx-desktop-dac-amp.7483/

Topping's current dac amp combos are overpriced af except entry level DX3pro+ in my opinion. Maybe they don't wanna cannibalize their stacks? These combo units feels gimped. I mean go look at DX3Pro+, DX5, EX5 and DX7 spec sheet and check their prices. There is no logic behind it lol.
I'm pretty loyal to Topping because of good reasons and I am a bit confused too. Seriously considering a DX5 because I want a AIO. Then again the JDS Labs Element III is where it's @ too. I don't need the display because I am going to put the box behind my monitor anyway, never touch it other than the initial setup and let it accumulate dust. I just want a plug and play forget it box. The price is near identical for each even for me as a Canadian importing the gear and both come with a 2 year warranty if I order from the USA which is not a big deal; I've ordered thousands of dollars of gear from the USA including a big power amp and everything worked out goody goody. I'll probably just have a couple whiskeys, smoke some hash and toss a coin.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even for trolling you require intelligence and finesse at some extent, clearly he has neither...
I don't think that niK was trolling. That was the real deal. 100% genuine ignoramus.

Tks

Major Contributor
Seams they rushed it a bit (regarding both ESS hump and jitter over Toslink) as we know they know to handle both but it's not a deal breaker (both are under threshold of DAC/hearing). How is IR remote directivity and angle range? As much as I can see they didn't enable BT transmitter capabilities.
Nice to know there is a Shenzen Audio in EU (DE).
WolfX-700 also did measurements (as usual it did a tad better there related to a bit different measurement methodology).
I have the OG V1 DX3 Pro as a secondary device, and it's angle can be actuated by virtually at a 90 degree angle almost. So I'd say the remote is good, but I don't use it in a living room setting so I don't know if I can offer much in that respect.

The ESS hump is seemingly revealed because it can't be buried anymore since noise is quite low already (though I don't know if this is true if my memory serves me because I think there have been humps that are present, but still at a lower level than the DX3 Pro's distortion line plot).

The TOSLINK ordeal (with respect to getting it clean and stable as we've sometimes been used to in the past when the average levels were around the -120dB to -130dB mark) seems to be a fail with respect to 90% of the industry, there was a whole thing over a year ago about quality Toshiba parts disappearing from the market, and ever since then, we always have Toslink performance on devices have one of two or more problems. They either have just random spikes all over, or they have side skirts brushing up against the main tone. This devices seems to have taken the middle of the road, so it has spikes in a few areas, and very close side skirts to the main tone, but what you get in return is on average the rest of the picture shows really low levels of jitter. So with USB you get side skirts, and with Toslink you get a few random spikes without side skirts.

I think given that the level of jitter is sub -150dB on average, this is really good any which way you cut this. But the Toslink spikes look bad since they're SO much higher than the average. When you take a look at the DACs from RME for example, the V2 only now recently has gotten their average jitter to a bit above -150dB, as well as regressions with respect to the side skirt issue (seems pushing distortion down has revealed how prolonged and deep they are. Surprising nevertheless given the femtosecond push RME prioritizes. But the RME's DAC chips and design is a bit old by comparison of release dates, so take that as you will.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Your post makes zero sense. For electronics there should not be any sound of their own, that's the goal every company must start with. Sometimes I pity audiophiles who are not really in to any sort of engineering or science.

Phos

I find it a bit annoying that so much of the topping line up requires the use of the remote to switch inputs/outputs. Probably going to just go with a D10 balanced and a monoprice 887 to avoid it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are 4 votes for poor. WTF people?

It’s a well-measuring dumb product. It has great engineering spec but nothing with a potential to improve real or perceived audio fidelity compared to thousands of other boxes. No PEQ, no bass management, no loudness compensation, no crossfeed, no anything that adds value. I think it’s hard to argue it won’t sound the same as a similar component from 2015, or probably 2005. What’s the greatness in that?

Topping right now makes spectacular dumb products. I’m currently listening with one (E50 I think is the model number - DAC with coax input and balanced outputs) in the signal chain - but it’s a cog that could be replaced with a lot of other cogs with zero to de minimis difference. The added value is really on either end of it: the miniDSP SHD Studio processor and Neumann monitors. When Topping starts thinking more holistically, I’m sure they will add considerable value. But another dB on a SINAD chart is more pleasing to the engineer’s brain than the listener’s ears.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a well-measuring dumb product. It has great engineering spec but nothing with a potential to improve real or perceived audio fidelity compared to thousands of other boxes. No PEQ, no bass management, no loudness compensation, no crossfeed, no anything that adds value. I think it’s hard to argue it won’t sound the same as a similar component from 2005, or probably 1995. What’s the greatness in that?

Topping right now makes spectacular dumb products. I’m currently listening with one (E50 I think is the model number) in the signal chain - but it’s a cog that could be replaced with a lot of other cogs with zero to de minimis difference. The added value is really on either end of it: the miniDSP SHD Studio processor and Neumann monitors. When Topping starts thinking more holistically, I’m sure they will add considerable value. But another dB on a SINAD chart is more important pleasing to the engineer’s brain than the listener’s ears.
I have to agree and I have doubts that I am going to hear a difference from my CDN $500 ASUS motherboard. Even if the DX5 has DSP PEQ it's redundant in that application. :D

gerG

Well this took a gloomy turn. I for one like it. If I were shopping right now, it would be high on my list. However SMSL beat them out of the gate with the new M500, so that is what I bought.
One thing becomes clear: people are hoping for "something more" out of the next product down the pike. Perfect response just isn't enough. Man, are we jaded or what? Well, might as well put in my whine for bass management and PEQ. I can use that in many of my systems. If any manufacturers are actually listening, I would like storage capability for the EQ and crossover settings, so that I can pull up different locations/systems as needed.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a well-measuring dumb product. It has great engineering spec but nothing with a potential to improve real or perceived audio fidelity compared to thousands of other boxes. No PEQ, no bass management, no loudness compensation, no crossfeed, no anything that adds value. I think it’s hard to argue it won’t sound the same as a similar component from 2015, or probably 2005. What’s the greatness in that?

Topping right now makes spectacular dumb products. I’m currently listening with one (E50 I think is the model number - DAC with coax input and balanced outputs) in the signal chain - but it’s a cog that could be replaced with a lot of other cogs with zero to de minimis difference. The added value is really on either end of it: the miniDSP SHD Studio processor and Neumann monitors. When Topping starts thinking more holistically, I’m sure they will add considerable value. But another dB on a SINAD chart is more pleasing to the engineer’s brain than the listener’s ears.
You hit the nail on the head—sound quality does not differentiate DACs, feature sets do.

For me, I’d rather have my DAC perform D/A conversion and nothing else. DSP functions like the ones you mention can be performed through software located on the playback device—computer, tablet, or phone—or on the server.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I have to agree. This latest Topping SINAD queen is boring. Deserves a yawning panther. I see no innovation here.

Top Bottom