• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with mediocre china sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar china DAC/amp nowadays. Or even a Shiit.
Mediocre “China” sound? Unless it is doing something really wrong, no modern DAC is going to sound any different than another DAC—no matter what country it is produced in. And if being “tailored for SINAD performance” means being designed for low noise and low distortion, then that’s the goal of high fidelity to the source material.

mrbungle

Not again pages after pages of troll feeding, please…

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with mediocre china sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar china DAC/amp nowadays. Or even a Shiit.

Sir, you might want to see yourself out the door of this thread. You've obviously got a bias rooted in racism, which is not welcome here. Besides, you reek of a subjectivist.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm why is the image in your review video a mirror image? Are you inverting the video for aesthetic purposes? :D
Screenshot 2022-03-26 163750.png

cheapmessiah

@amirm why is the image in your review video a mirror image? Are you inverting the video for aesthetic purposes? :D
View attachment 195543
So all the ocd viewers get mad af when they see the red lead on the left cup :-D

Its an editing thing he puts his recording on the left side of the screen and to look like he is looking at the viewer who would be at the center of the screen he has to mirror the recording.

Kype_Kypeee

Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with their signature made in China sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar made in China DAC/amp nowadays. Or even something from Shiit Audio. I wish Chinese makers can get out of their comfort zone and do something different. It will happen eventually, because what is the the actual need of yet another DAC/ HP amp...By the way is it racist to say Chinese sound or made in China sound signature? My post got removed for that. I thing there is also Japanese, German and British sound, is that racist too?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the warranty on these Topping units? I checked at the Topping webpage and it is 1 year although I found a USA etailer Apos Audio that offers a 2 year warranty.
Topping 1 year warranty>>>
Screenshot 2022-03-26 172000.png

Apos Audio 2 year warranty.>>>
Screenshot 2022-03-26 172309.png

Apos Audio does ship to Canada via Post.>>>
Screenshot 2022-03-26 172446.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great, another DAC tailored for SINAD performance with their signature made in China sound. I bet for less money you can probably get a similar made in China DAC/amp nowadays. Or even something from Shiit Audio. I wish Chinese makers can get out of their comfort zone and do something different. It will happen eventually, because what is the the actual need of yet another DAC/ HP amp...By the way is it racist to say Chinese sound or made in China sound signature? My post got removed for that. I thing there is also Japanese, German and British sound, is that racist too?
You are apparently a closet racist, ignorant or classless and are in all probability going to get kicked again. :facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Mirror lens? Idk
Mirror effect. :) I forgot about having flipped my video long time ago until I watched the recording. Good eye there.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
You said Chinese in a derogatory manner and that is why. Your above post is fine since your not referring to a DAC from x country or nationality as crap or shit I think you said. We have members from around the globe here. So please show all races and nationalities respect. Trying to publicly debate Moderator actions will not end well. Take your medicine learn a small lesson and improve or move on. It’s just that simple.

Welcome to ASR.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Your comments are without value. This is a review thread. If you don't like the product, move along or I will have to hand you a thread ban.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Your comments are without value. This is a review thread. If you don't like the product, move along or I will have to hand you a thread ban.
I beat you to it!…:cool:

AlephAlpha001

Well dang. At least it looks to be a sticker that can be (re)moved.

On the plus side, apparently I can type in Chinese now. Cool! Probably from all of that Tieguanyin that I drink.
Sounds suspiciously 'Audiophile' to me. As a freshly-minted ASR disciple, I've chucked out all my Longjing and now exclusively drink Pu'er from *teabags* (they measure well).

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All i want from Topping is something like Monoprice THX 788 Dac Amp combo. I've been asking for this for years.
Here the recipe:
DAC portion: D10 Balanced or E50
AMP portion: L50 or A30pro. Good performance from most sensitive iem to current hungry planar to 600 ohm dynamics.
Chassis: DX5 or EX5 or DX7
PSU: Beefy and inside of the box.
Volume control: Digital and precise. I wanna see it on screen what is the volume, i don't wanna check out vague volume knob position.
Feature: 4-5 band Parametric EQ if possible.
Price: $500>
D10 + L50 = $230+$140=$370 already. Make this $399 without parametric EQ and cut the MQA bs. $499 with parametric EQ.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All i want from Topping is something like Monoprice THX 788 Dac Amp combo. I've been asking for this for years.
Here the recipe:
DAC portion: D10 Balanced or E50
AMP portion: L50 or A30pro. Good performance from most sensitive iem to current hungry planar to 600 ohm dynamics.
Chassis: DX5 or EX5 or DX7
PSU: Beefy and inside of the box.
Volume control: Digital and precise. I wanna see it on screen what is the volume, i don't wanna check out vague volume knob position.
Feature: 4-5 band Parametric EQ if possible.
Price: $500>
D10 + L50 = $230+$140=$370 already. Make this $399 without parametric EQ and cut the MQA bs. $499 with parametric EQ.
I don't think the Monoprice has built in parametric EQ, but an addition of it would definitely be a treat for us consumers. What you propose would be a direct competition to the RME-ADI2, which would be good to have at the price point you suggested.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll repeat what I said above since it answers your question:

“Signature made in China sound?” Unless it is doing something really wrong, no modern DAC is going to sound any different than another DAC—no matter what country it is produced in. And if being “tailored for SINAD performance” means being designed for low noise and low distortion, then that’s the goal of high fidelity to the source material.

Top Bottom