• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING DX5 Lite! Coming soon!

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FqoiXAgWcAAR1UT

ampguy

Looks like it may be a good deal. It has the ESS 9068AS, and same XU216, all same as non-lite, except for no MQA, according to Apos website. Will be nice if price drops < $300 later in the year.

alekksander

does the dx5 (therefore hopefully dx5 lite) has separate volume values for headphones and xlrs, or it's another frustration from topping?

Smitty2k1

About $150 more than the DX3 Pro+. Gives you balanced in/out. Not terrible but not worth it for this user.

bkdc

Forum Donor
I’m always a fan of a balanced option. Boycott MQA!!!
I would boycott Tidal if I could get a Qobuz option on my Tesla screen. JayZ does not need any more money.

Joffy1780

About $150 more than the DX3 Pro+. Gives you balanced in/out. Not terrible but not worth it for this user.
It doesn't actually have balanced in, just XLR as opposed to TRS balanced outputs.
It does, IMO at least, look a little prettier, but I'm still gonna save the money and go DX3+ or (SMSL C200)

Joffy1780

It doesn't actually have balanced in, just XLR as opposed to TRS balanced outputs.
It does, IMO at least, look a little prettier, but I'm still gonna save the money and go DX3+ (SMSL C200)
Sorry, blonde moment there, I'm actually thinking of the SMSL C200.
I'll get my coat :facepalm:

ampguy

Sorry, blonde moment there, I'm actually thinking of the SMSL C200.
I'll get my coat :facepalm:
No problem, the c200 does have trs balanced outs, did you mean the headphone connector is not balanced? This is true, but for a $180 DAC hp amp with physical volume knob, it seems like a viable low cost alternative, along with the dx3pro ? A use case I have is using something like one of these primarily as a DAC with pa5 amp, and occasional but not primary hp amp capability.

Joffy1780

No problem, the c200 does have trs balanced outs, did you mean the headphone connector is not balanced? This is so true, but for a $180 DAC hp amp with physical volume knob, it seems like a viable low cost alternative, along with the dx3pro ?
Yeah the c200 has balanced TRS output, but neither headphone output is balanced.
I have had the c200 (and dx3 pro +) in my basket on Amazon for about a month and haven't been able to decide on which. This issue with the c200 caused by the static has put me off again. I will be hiding mine away behind a sofa, so looks, displays, volume knobs are not important to me and I will only be using it for headphones, but if it was gonna have it somewhere in view and wanted the option of using it with a power amp as well, I would definitely pay a little more for the c200.
It is regularly reduced by 20% on Amazon as well, so is only £10 more in fact.

Smitty2k1

Yeah the c200 has balanced TRS output, but neither headphone output is balanced.
I have had the c200 (and dx3 pro +) in my basket on Amazon for about a month and haven't been able to decide on which. This issue with the c200 caused by the static has put me off again. I will be hiding mine away behind a sofa, so looks, displays, volume knobs are not important to me and I will only be using it for headphones, but if it was gonna have it somewhere in view and wanted the option of using it with a power amp as well, I would definitely pay a little more for the c200.
It is regularly reduced by 20% on Amazon as well, so is only £10 more in fact.
FWIW I've been more than happy with my DX3 Pro+. Using optical input for Wiim mini and USB for my PC. Just using it for headphones for now but looking to add some nearfield speakers to my desktop setup too. I can reach volume knob from my chair so I don't use the remote.

Veri

Master Contributor
Weird since I thought the ES9068AS chip from ESS had MQA decoding capabilities built-in...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
DX5 450 usd (review)
DX5 Lite 350 usd

Same specs, just MQA less for -100 usd. Very nice!

threni

Major Contributor
Must be good it has two! Hi res stickers.
One says "Hi res audio wireless" so you can listen to MQA over bluetooth for that double-lossy quality!

Joffy1780

FWIW I've been more than happy with my DX3 Pro+. Using optical input for Wiim mini and USB for my PC. Just using it for headphones for now but looking to add some nearfield speakers to my desktop setup too. I can reach volume knob from my chair so I don't use the remote.
Thank you. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with it also, as at the minute I'm using a pair of budget Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones, so looking to get a DAC/hp amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD560s. This will be first experience of proper headphones + amp.
How is the remote control if you have to use it? The remote I have for my SMSL DO100 is quite poor and needs to be basically within arm's reach of the device anyway.

threni

Major Contributor
How is the remote control if you have to use it? The remote I have for my SMSL DO100 is quite poor and needs to be basically within arm's reach of the device anyway.
It's the RC-15A, same as the one supplied with the E30 DAC. On that, the range is ok but you have to be pretty much facing the display; more than about 20 degrees out and it'll ignore you. I have my DAC at an angle so I can use it when I'm lying on the bed.

Top Bottom