• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As I figured. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. I'm happy with the K371 for daily use and, being closed back, not disturbing my other half. The hunt for a reasonably affordable open backed for critical listening continues.
The HiFiMan HE400se pair nicely with the Topping DX3 Pro+. I blame Amir and ASR for my purchase of both. :p

ElPasoEd

What's updated:
"Fixed an issue where the built-in amp overload protection was too sensitive to prompt "HP ERR" under certain circumstances."

Ref: Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)
"...Topping has gone aggressive with active monitoring here"

Hmmm, I have to wonder if these are related; perhaps they went a bit overboard?
Regardless, it's good to see they are making/sharing refinements.
Now, I just wish they'd make more units :eek:

Rennokas

Would this be good pairing for Beyerdynamic T1 3rd gen (32 Ohm) ? No clipping issues?

Dani797

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-30 a las 22.40.01.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-30 a las 22.40.01.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-30 a las 22.40.18.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-30 a las 22.40.18.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 108

dsnyder0cnn

Hi I am new in this, I have all the files but in Mac mini I can't update, what am I doing Wrong? Sorry for my English I am From Spain. Thanks
You can't open the DX3 Pro+_FW1.23.bin file on your Mac. But, you should be able to open the Topping USB DFU app. Perhaps copy the "Topping USB DFU.app" folder to your Applications folder and then launch "Topping USB DFU". I've not tried this, but I expect that it will prompt you for the location of the "DX3 Pro+_FW1.23.bin" file if it can detect that a DX3 Pro+ is connected.

I would study the "readme.txt" file carefully before proceeding.

Edit: I would also only do the update if you're having problems with your DX3 Pro+ going into protection mode ("HP ERR" message on the display). If you have not experienced this, there's no need to update. I think we all want to run the latest code, but each firmware update comes with a small amount of risk that you'll brick the device. Better to only update if the benefits outweigh the risks, IMHO.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The readme only has instructions for windows unfortunately

Dani797

You can't open the DX3 Pro+_FW1.23.bin file on your Mac. But, you should be able to open the Topping USB DFU app. Perhaps copy the "Topping USB DFU.app" folder to your Applications folder and then launch "Topping USB DFU". I've not tried this, but I expect that it will prompt you for the location of the "DX3 Pro+_FW1.23.bin" file if it can detect that a DX3 Pro+ is connected.

I would study the "readme.txt" file carefully before proceeding.

Edit: I would also only do the update if you're having problems with your DX3 Pro+ going into protection mode ("HP ERR" message on the display). If you have not experienced this, there's no need to update. I think we all want to run the latest code, but each firmware update comes with a small amount of risk that you'll brick the device. Better to only update if the benefits outweigh the risks, IMHO.
Thanks for your help, I am going to leave it just like it is now, just as you said its working perfect. thanks again.

poxymoron

Dx3pro+ is much cheaper than EX5.
The linearity is due to that Wolf doesn't use special filter to filter out noise for linearity test like Amir does.
I'm thinking of using the DX3 Pro between a minidsp Flex and a subwoofer. Can the volume knob be disabled? I might be better off going for an E30. Thanks.

dsnyder0cnn

I'm thinking of using the DX3 Pro between a minidsp Flex and a subwoofer. Can the volume knob be disabled? I might be better off going for an E30. Thanks.
The DX3 Pro+ can be put into "DAC Mode", which disables the volume control.

That said, I'm not sure how you would use a DX3 Pro+ between a miniDSP Flex and a subwoofer. The DX3 Pro+ has no analog inputs and the Flex has no digital outputs. I would just go digital into the miniDSP Flex and be done with it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That said, I'm not sure how you would use a DX3 Pro+ between a miniDSP Flex and a subwoofer
with the standard version of the Flex you could do: Toslink/SPDIF/BT->Flex->USB->PC->USB->DX3->analog->Sub
with the upcoming Flex Digital you could do: Toslink/SPDIF/BT/USB->Flex->SPDIF/Toslink->DX3->analog->Sub

dsnyder0cnn

with the standard version of the Flex you could do: Toslink/SPDIF/BT->Flex->USB->PC->USB->DX3->analog->Sub
with the upcoming Flex Digital you could do: Toslink/SPDIF/BT/USB->Flex->SPDIF/Toslink->DX3->analog->Sub

I think I sort-of see. So, the issue is that the Flex does not have enough analog outputs to implement a 2-way active crossover for the main speaker plus add a sub? I wonder if @staticV3 is looking for a way to implement a 3-way digital crossover?

I guess in this case, I might just split the analog low-pass output from the Flex and run it to both the woofer amplifier and sub. Running two different DACs with a PC in the middle to keep things in sync sounds messy. :) Could be that I just don't understand how audio routing works in the Flex though.

It would be nice if there was a model with more outputs channels. I wonder if you could hang a pair of the standard models off of the digital version to build 4-way digital crossovers…

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 5.28.31 AM.png

I guess that's what the old miniDSP 4x10 Hd was for. Hoping they make a Flex version…

poxymoron

I'm getting the Flex digital so I'll need a dac for the sub. The digital Flex will go digital out to my active speakers so a simple transparent dac is all I need for the sub. Thanks for your help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The digital Flex will go digital out to my active speakers so a simple transparent dac is all I need for the sub.
The DX3Pro+ is a lot more than just a transparent DAC though and the cost reflects that at $200.

You can get a transparent DAC for a lot cheaper. For example:
-Khadas Tone Board (109dB SINAD) for $80
-JDS Atom DAC+ (112dB SINAD) for $120
-Schiit Modi 3E (114dB SINAD) for $130
-Topping E30 (115dB SINAD) for $150

poxymoron

The DX3Pro+ is a lot more than just a transparent DAC though and the cost reflects that at $200.

You can get a transparent DAC for a lot cheaper. For example:
-Khadas Tone Board (109dB SINAD) for $80
-JDS Atom DAC+ (112dB SINAD) for $120
-Schiit Modi 3E (114dB SINAD) for $130
-Topping E30 (115dB SINAD) for $150
True but I'll use it for the headphone amp in the office from time to time.

bruh

I know i might be late to all this but has anyone here compared it to a fiio k5 pro/ ess. vould you tell me if you heard a difference or nah.

Top Bottom