• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+

kingduckling

it seems like powerful than e30+l30 combo but cheaper, then what is the benefit of getting topping stack instead of dx3pro plus?
According to the spec sheet on topping's website l30 has more output power.
But I'm also curious if it makes sense to get the dx3pro+ or something like a d10s/l30 or e30/l30 instead.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
According to the spec sheet on topping's website l30 has more output power.
But I'm also curious if it makes sense to get the dx3pro+ or something like a d10s/l30 or e30/l30 instead.
I trust Amir's measurements more than the spec sheets. I'm super happy with the DX3 Pro+, but I guess it depends on what headphones you'll be using and if you need support for balanced cables.

20211129_154100_HDR.jpeg

My only gripe is that I've not found a convenient way to switch it from headphone to DAC mode without using the remote.

radiss

I trust Amir's measurements more than the spec sheets. I'm super happy with the DX3 Pro+, but I guess it depends on what headphones you'll be using and if you need support for balanced cables.

View attachment 168910

My only gripe is that I've not found a convenient way to switch it from headphone to DAC mode without using the remote.
Push twice knob button, you can switch mode.

haen

Push twice knob button, you can switch mode.
Unfortunately this 'double push' is hard to do consistently. I usually manage to do that, but sometimes I'm not fast enough and instead the device switches the input source, which is annoying. I'm not sure if it could be adjusted by a firmware update to be a bit more lenient, @JohnYang1997?

GeorgeWalk

I am having a problem with my DX3 Pro+ when I try to use it with my iPhone via USB. It works fine with Bluetooth, however, iPhone to USB does not work. The phone recognizes the DX3 Pro+ and says it is playing to it, but no sound comes out of the headphones (I have checked the DX3's headphone and DAC settings). If I plug the USB cable into my Macbook the sound comes out fine. I have tried both to iPhone to USB and the iPhone Camera adapter cables (both from Apple) and there is no sound. If I use a different dac/headphone via the same USB set up, it works fine.

Any ideas?

GeorgeWalk

Never mind. It is fixed. After some internet searching, I found that there is a bug in iOS 15.1 that prevents audio from playing over USB. I updated to 15.2 and the problem is fixed.

kingduckling

I gotta say i find this to be lower in volume output than my fiio k5 pro, even on high gain.
I am very new to looking into audio tech, but personally i did not find any audible difference between motherboard alc898 and dx3 pro+ other than volume output. Im using a sundara and an akg k702.
I personally wish there would be some software that would tell me what volume my headphones output knowing the sensitivity and resistance of the headphone.

dsnyder0cnn

I personally wish there would be some software that would tell me what volume my headphones output knowing the sensitivity and resistance of the headphone.
I think more inputs are required to perform that calculation. This device should do the trick:

radix

Major Contributor
Unfortunately this 'double push' is hard to do consistently. I usually manage to do that, but sometimes I'm not fast enough and instead the device switches the input source, which is annoying. I'm not sure if it could be adjusted by a firmware update to be a bit more lenient, @JohnYang1997?

I agree the double push is undoable, at least by me. 4 out of 5 times, I just change the input. I have to use the buttons on the remote.

I didn't think I would be using PRE mode on it, but I ended up with wiring spaghetti without it. I should have got the EX5 to better feed the KH750, but so far regular rca-xlr cables are doing fine. Though I almost consider an upgrade to the A90 just to have a real switch for output select (no, it's not worth the $ for a d90se/a90 combo just for the switch).

Andresan76

hello Dx3 pro + owners and Modi3/heresy ex-owners or vice-versa, I just bought an Audeze LCD 2 Fazor and I'm looking to buy my first dac/headphone amp. What do you recommend go for the DX3 or for the stack? space is not a issue. I honestly prefer the looks of the stack, but will go for the quality.

dsnyder0cnn

hello Dx3 pro + owners and Modi3/heresy ex-owners or vice-versa, I just bought an Audeze LCD 2 Fazor and I'm looking to buy my first dac/headphone amp. What do you recommend go for the DX3 or for the stack? space is not a issue. I honestly prefer the looks of the stack, but will go for the quality.
I think the DX3 Pro+ is ideal for a work-from-home desktop arrangement where you frequently switch between active speakers and headphones. For a dedicated headphones rig, I'd be looking at something like the E50 + L50 stack. For example:

Andresan76

I think the DX3 Pro+ is ideal for a work-from-home desktop arrangement where you frequently switch between active speakers and headphones. For a dedicated headphones rig, I'd be looking at something like the E50 + L50 stack. For example:

Thx for the sugestion, space is not a issue, but money is, this stack is more the double of the schiit or Dx3. Nevertheless I will do some research for a used one as 500 is a lot for me. My ears are no worthy of such, yet

dsnyder0cnn

Thx for the sugestion, space is not a issue, but money is, this stack is more the double of the schiit or Dx3. Nevertheless I will do some research for a used one as 500 is a lot for me. My ears are no worthy of such, yet
Yes. If you have a ~$1k pair of headphones, you'll want to feed them right. I would say that the THX AAA 789 would be a minimum starting point for the amp.

cheapmessiah

If you are in the USA and can try both options and return them if you arent satisfied that could be a good option.

If you live outside the USA, my opinion dx3 pro+ is the better option.

Regarding the power requierements, the LCD2 is a very sensitive unit, you dont really need a lot of power and most likely the dx3pro+ has enough power to drive them loud, even with EQ (which you will need).

You could also buy the L50 with the apple dongle and save for a dac, D10B is relatively inexpensive.

And if you live in the USA you could also buy the SMSL SP200 amp on drop for 140$, it gets regularly offered at that price, and do the same strat with the apple dongle dac.

But with both of the latter options you sacrifice common aesthetics in pro of bang for the buck performance.

radix

Major Contributor

I was happy with the DX3Pro+ for headphone and active speakers. it is easy to switch with the remote (not so much with the knob, it requires a very quick double tap). If you are OK w/ RCA out, then the DX3Pro+ is ver nice. I found it drove 16 ohm - 250 ohm OK. But I do not listen at very loud volumes.

D

Deleted member 23424

Would the DX3pro+ have enough juice to drive a 600 ohm headphone? I'm thinking of giving the DT990 a try but keep reading about their thirst for current.

dsnyder0cnn

Would the DX3pro+ have enough juice to drive a 600 ohm headphone? I'm thinking of giving the DT990 a try but keep reading about their thirst for current.
Hmmm, at 600Ω, I don't see those headphones drawing much current, but they will definitely want a large voltage swing to produce satisfying levels. A balanced cable + amp is probably the best way to get there, but the DX3 Pro+ should work well also, based on my experience with 300Ω Sennheisers.

D

Deleted member 23424

Hmmm, at 600Ω, I don't see those headphones drawing much current, but they will definitely want a large voltage swing to produce satisfying levels. A balanced cable + amp is probably the best way to get there, but the DX3 Pro+ should work well also, based on my experience with 300Ω Sennheisers.
As I figured. I guess I'll go back to the drawing board. I'm happy with the K371 for daily use and, being closed back, not disturbing my other half. The hunt for a reasonably affordable open backed for critical listening continues.

Top Bottom