• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I wish there was a roadmap of Topping products to be released in the next 6-12 months so I could make wiser purchase decisions lol
The next few months I bet everything using AKM will be refreshed to switch to ESS, and more speaker amps. Beyond that who knows.

brandall10

Sometimes I wish there was a roadmap of Topping products to be released in the next 6-12 months so I could make wiser purchase decisions lol

At this point it doesn't seem like there's much further to go, at least on the desktop. This device can drive just about any headphone to instrument grade performance at a ramen price (for audiophile gear).

I guess there's still room for a battery powered portable solution with this type of performance.

Hxx

WolfX-700 measured it and it looks just fine.

it lacks BAL out but I have the feeling that for an AIO at this price point people will be more interested in HP out than BAL out. Most likely nothing wrong with the SE out as long as you don't have ground loops. Topping is really kicking the EX5 in the balls with the DX3 Pro+, I can totally see the majority of the potential customers for an AIO now be more interested in the DX3 Pro+ than the EX5.

Not the best naming scheme either imho.
What's next, DX3 Pro+ SE? :p;)

Take a look at Nvidia graphics card names. There's a bunch of options left. I think I'm going to wait for the DX4 Pro+ SUPER Ti SE Founder's Edition to be released in 2022.

IT needs to be RGB and overclockable. - DX4 Pro+ SUPER Ti SE Founder's ARGB supreme OC edition. Hopefully it works with Razer chroma and Corsair icue otherwise wtf toppping

Last edited:

Hxx

At this point it doesn't seem like there's much further to go, at least on the desktop. This device can drive just about any headphone to instrument grade performance at a ramen price (for audiophile gear).

I guess there's still room for a battery powered portable solution with this type of performance.
Something usb c powered ? I wonder if they can hit similar or “close enough” numbers just by keeping it usb c only

brandall10

Something usb c powered ? I wonder if they can hit similar numbers just by keeping it usb c only

The issue is it likely would have to be PD to hit the right amp/voltage... hence a battery powered option becomes attractive. And I totally welcome a USB-C chargable portable unit.

ParticularFix

@JohnYang1997 You should tell us when there is a new product on the horizon. I have been on the Topping website for the better part of the past 2 weeks evaluating what to get. I landed on the EX5, but that MQA was kinda a deal-breaker for me. I don't want any of my money supporting MQA in any way. Needless to say, I gave up on Topping and ended up getting something else. Now I discover there is a new product from Topping that fits me perfectly. If I'd known this earlier, I'd have waited.

achingears

Dx3pro+ is much cheaper than EX5.
The linearity is due to that Wolf doesn't use special filter to filter out noise for linearity test like Amir does.
it seems like powerful than e30+l30 combo but cheaper, then what is the benefit of getting topping stack instead of dx3pro plus?

raif71

Major Contributor
I would like an upgrade to the portable dac/amp nx4 dsd as it has been quite some time that this product remain static while the desktop gears underwent upgrades.

elioth

Just a minute ago, I did a blind order on this Topping (pun intended). Seems like I give it a try with my AKG K701 and DT880PRO as quite different consumers of a headamp. Hopefully is the bargain that I hoped for. On paper it sounds very promising (low impedance, okish linearity and enough power to drive the DT880PRO as well. The DAC will be better than my ALC898 anyways, I hope. The AMp will probably be internaly better connected than my 80's Kenwood to the ALC via line-wire... and hopefully the AMP is at least as vivid as the Kenwood output as a head-AMP. Fingers-crossed... And for sure sucks way less energy than my Kenwood (aka japanese office-desktop-heater). Still I love the Kenwood (been my first - second hand - audio buy in the late 80's), though it's not really Hi-Fi ;)

Dunno how long it takes to arrive though. I suppose this is not stored in Europe yet.

Paco De Lucia

I just ordered one, my first Topping product, fingers crossed, quite excited )) Going to be using it as a dac and pre-amp for a 1978 Quad 405 and these beauties vvvv

Last edited:

McLenin

Need to wait at least for the review, you do not need it, you have the E30 paired with Marantz 6005.
Need to wait at least for the review, you do not need it, you have the E30 paired with Marantz 6005.

Wish autosuggestion would work better for me, I am very much on the verge of buying it as I am interested in Hifiman Sundara also.

You guys think that headphone out from the Marantz would be enough to drive the Sundaras? (I am sorry for the noob question, just getting into the headphones...)

Martin

ironhorse128

Forum Donor

Wish autosuggestion would work better for me, I am very much on the verge of buying it as I am interested in Hifiman Sundara also.

You guys think that headphone out from the Marantz would be enough to drive the Sundaras? (I am sorry for the noob question, just getting into the headphones...)

Martin
I found the headphone out of my denon x2500h to be suboptimal. I use a dedicated amp for my movie watching.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is an entry level model but would have been sooooo nice to have TRS outs in order to stack with PA3s using balanced connection.

Paco De Lucia

alekksander

Personally i still think there is a need for something similar to d10b, but with second unbalanced output, maybe no redundant screen and better multitone. Would change my d30pro for something like that, and wouldn't consider price that much (I can pay for performance that i need to sleep well, but not for the features I never use anyway).
Lately new topping products were on par with schiit when it comes to multitone(low frequency performance) , and personally I value it more than „synthetic” 1k test. I wonder what if sinad was calculated upon multitone rather than single tone test.

Last edited:

cheapmessiah

Specs look nice for the price, if the dac measures well this would be a great entry level stepping stone unit for some as well as a definitive solution for most average users, it aims directly at the magni + modi combo and has specs on par ith the IFI zen stack at a much better price, it will be competitive in the USA and its probably going to be the reference unit at this price range for the rest of the world.

And it also has BT conectivity, not bad.

Hope amirs analysis happens soon.

brandall10

has specs on par ith the IFI zen stack... a great entry level stepping stone unit

Please don't compare this to the Zen, it most likely absolutely slaughters it in every conceivable way (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/ifi-zen-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.9885/). "For $200 you can get a DAC and Amp combo that would run circles around it." That was 2 years ago, Topping has upped the game substantially since then.

This seems endgame for the vast majority of headphones. Even if for instance I had something like the Stealths, I probably would still get this. No one needs balanced and it can be a detriment (ref Benchmark's paper on this)... it does allow more power on power limited devices such as dongles but the single ended output here is more than sufficient. Only super hard to drive headphones that benefit from a crazy amount of voltage swing may benefit from more.

Yeah having a 1/4" jack would be convenient, aside from that, it likely will be an instrument grade device just like everything they've put out lately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom