• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ vs SMSL SU6

fquails

Does anyone have experience with both the Topping DX3 Pro+ and the SMSL SU6? The specs are identical, and I don’t need the headphone amp. Sound-wise, are they identical? And does the SMSL get hot? I have two of the Topping DX3 Pro+, I like their sound and features, but very much dislike that they get hot (102°F/39°C) in DAC mode. Heats up the other audio components near it. Ugh.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And does the SMSL get hot? I have two of the Topping DX3 Pro+, I like their sound and features, but very much dislike that they get hot (102°F/39°C) in DAC mode. Heats up the other audio components near it. Ugh.
No worries. I used to qualify IC's for special application tools that where tested and calibrated to operate @ 177C. Mind you the qualification process burned out 86% of the IC's which where then tossed in the garbage but it can happen if one does the work. 39C is no biggie for modern IC's and transistors. The capacitors should be okies too.

Katji

Major Contributor
What one guy did with SMSL P1 LPS...but I found the DAC got hotter than the power supply.

1657167494045.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom