• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is it that two dacs from different manufacturers using the same chip can sound so different, same chip so identical conversion.
I've seen no evidence that they can--if the two DACs actually measure the same! If other parts of the signal path are implemented suboptimally, that should show in the measurements. If the sound differs, then that means that SOMETHING is not being measured that should be. I've never had a chance to do a properly conducted blind test of two or more such DACs, but in the ones I have read about, no difference was heard between level matched DACs with similar measurements.

forlau

A DAC is not only a chip, but also a lot of analog technology. Measured values can only show errors, but not measure the sound. But that's another story, which is rarely understood here in the forum and only leads to heated discussions.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
A DAC is not only a chip, but also a lot of analog technology. Measured values can only show errors, but not measure the sound. But that's another story, which is rarely understood here in the forum and only leads to heated discussions.

Typically from people who don't believe in or understand the need for controlled testing.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Why is it that two dacs from different manufacturers using the same chip can sound so different, same chip so identical conversion.

So far, there is zero evidence of that, assuming both are competently implemented.

Claims abound, but that isn't evidence.

Find a controlled test that supports that and it'll be the first.

Walter

yawn, and here we go again with personal defamations
Hey, I am all for keeping this site fun and not taking it too seriously, but when you make comments that literally argue against the core point of the entire site, you have to expect to be called out. And nothing he said was a personal attack, at least not as I would define one.

poxymoron

I received today.
LDAC from the phone sounds good, compared to Pro V2, the resolution is better and does not mumble.
CDs over coax are a little brighter and harder, but the DAC should "warm up". The encoder works fine, smoothly.
In general, the impressions are positive.
Just wondering how good the LDAC reception is? I see now that it includes an antenna, so I suspect it might be similar to the ifi Zen Blue V2. I think this would be a better option for me than the ifi Zen Blue V2 as it has so much more functionality, I just wish it had a digital output so that my active speakers didn't have to do the ADC conversion on top of the DAC conversion. Thanks.

Mataempat

Hi All,

I have this in my crosshair now for my second system. Could you please confirm if the RCA out is a line out? Meaning full volume out and I will only adjust the volume at the powered speaker side? Also, can we select it to output to RCA and headphone via the remote?

haen

For line out you have two modes - one when you have full volume out, and the second one where the volume knob can be used to adjust the volume. You need to use built-in menu to switch between these two modes.

Yes, you can use the remote to switch between line out only, headphone only, or both.

Nicholas B

jools

Forum Donor
Lets say this is the best bang for the buck in the 200 range. What would be the next step up? :)
What are you looking for? For quality of DAC output and headphone amp there are better measuring devices but it's highly unlikely that anyone will benefit from those better measurements or even be able to tell the devices apart in a blind test.
Other devices have other features - perhaps you want MQA or streaming or balanced outputs. At some point I might go for a DAC with built in DSP for parametric EQ which seems to be pretty much only the ADI DAC at the moment (hint, Topping) - what do you want that the DX3 doesn't do?

jools

Forum Donor
Does that mean you can't do a parametric eq? not even with software? and just limited to graphic eq like APO EQ?
I use the USB, optical and bluetooth inputs of the DX3, so doing it in software would mean having something on my PC, TV and phone. Looking into it for just music from my PC, there are options for having PEQ across the PC but not for WASAPI exclusive which I need to use for my current player to avoid everything being resampled. It looks like I could swap to playing music via foobar2000, install a VST add-on and a PEQ add-on but that would still be just for the music from my PC, film and music would then be different players and the screenshots of foobar aren't too appealling. Then there are options like miniDSP which would sit between the DAC and Amp but they redigitise everything (I think) and a recent review here didn't look great. If there was a digital to digital DSP which could select from USB, optical and bluetooth, do the EQ and send digital to the DAC, that would be good but I don't know of such a device.

Igor01

The DX3 remote could choose from USB, optical and bluetooth (?!) Execute EQ is possible after DX3 (?). For example: analog EQ?

Last edited:

Lupin

Left way or right way magic doesn't exist and in the end music pushed out of a DAC is an electrical signal. What part of that electrical signal can't be measured by the APx555 but can be heard?

I really want to know but so far nobody can or want to tell me that. Many people claim that there are audible differences that you can't measure but nobody cares to elaborate on the how and why. It always end in "because I hear it and therefor it's the absolute and only truth" with the second and last line of defense: "I feel personally attacked and won't reply anymore".

I'm completely open to the possibility that there is more and I will be the first one to admit I'm wrong but nobody can or don't want to go further then "I can hear it".

haen

The DX3 remote could choose from USB, optical and bluetooth (?!) Execute EQ is possible after DX3 (?). For example: analog EQ?

You can change inputs using the remote (BT/USB/optical/coax1/coax2), check the manual for more details.

For EQ I would assume you would need another box in the chain after DX3, although I don't know if that would be the best place to apply EQ (I'm guessing it wouldn't, but...). Personally I would do that on my computer if I would need some EQ.

Igor01

Nowadays, almost any content source (BT/USB/optical/coax1/coax2) can be equipped with a "player" with a good equalizer (with built-in euonic profile), and does not require further correction of the frequency response.

Carlo2AC

What is the DX3 Pro+ alternative (the best bang-for-buck) that is fully balanced?

Top Bottom