• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

conuss

There are differences between general purpose op-amps and those designed for audio. Some parameters are more important than others in those applications. But implementation is still king. A really good engineer will be able to design an audibly transparent circuit around a "low-tier" op-amp, and upgrading to a fancy OPA won't be a scam, but it will definitely be overkill. The most fantastic audio op-amp in the world won't help a really bad engineer.
What is completely unnecessary for some does not become the same for others. It is frivolous to adjust to your criteria a technical product used to satisfy a priori subjective auditory perception. This will become unnecessary when the production of operational sound amplifiers is finished, but for now, be patient.

Last edited:

UAN

"I heard something, so it must be true!" -thing is just one of my personal pet peeves.

Hi colleague, I am also an engineer in the past and I understand that first of all you need to measure, and then listen. But it is imperative to listen. Serious audio producers have listeners for this, and their assessment is also very important.
The sound is influenced by many factors, for example, a slight OA excitation at a frequency of 100 MHz can be overlooked by devices, but it affects the sound. In general, you can talk a lot about this.
I wish you creative success.

Nicholas B

I ordered mine on 10th October from Shenzhen Audio. Looks like it will still be yet a few more weeks before the DX3 Pro+ gets shipped. Those supply chain delays must be truly troublesome ...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
a priori subjective auditory perception

Sounds contradictory to me. Maybe it deserves discussion in another thread :D

@UAN I think I have a different idea of what makes a "serious audio producer", but I don't wanna spend more time banging my head against a brick wall. Lets just get back to the DX3 Pro+ :)

Last edited:

Dxnc

Anyone else here had a good while to play with their DX3 Pro+? All good, any other issues etc.

I've had mine for 2+ weeks and have no issues, no regrets. The knob occasionally fails to register a click, but no worse my car's climate control knob, my mouse's scroll wheel, etc. Maybe my expectations are too low, but it doesn't bother me because the volume is visible on the display.

I expect tradeoffs at this price segment. Not as good as the precise analog volume knob on my other dac/amp, but this one has a lot more power, better measurements, and a display at the same price.

conuss

Sounds contradictory to me.
Consequently, you still have not realized that the entire business of audiophilia is built on this natural subjective perception of sound. Even this obnoxious op-amp market of yours doesn't make you think about it ...

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Consequently, you still have not realized that the entire business of audiophilia is built on this natural subjective perception of sound.

I realized that long ago. My problem with it is that subjective perception of sound is based on feelings and ideas.

I am not well versed in philosophy, but from what I can tell, subjectivity doesn't play well with neither 'a priori' nor 'a posteriori'.

Again; this discussion should be moved to another thread.

conuss

I realized that long ago. My problem with it is that subjective perception of sound is based on feelings and ideas.

I am not well versed in philosophy, but from what I can tell, subjectivity doesn't play well with neither 'a priori' nor 'a posteriori'.
This is an imaginary problem. It is enough to grasp that feelings and ideas must be considered. Only devices and robots can do without it. Is it a revelation to you that humans are a priori subjective about beauty in any expression? For some people the presence of seven white Indian elephants of happiness on the windowsill is enough to achieve sonic nirvana, others need a certain sound operational amplifier in a quality harness, others just close their eyes, etc. Compare the number of discussions of audio and video perception, much will become clear.
In short, if we do not recognize the market of sound operational amplifiers as fraudulent, we will have to refer it to the consumer market, which needs buyers, who should be understood and respected.

JRS

Major Contributor

Again; this discussion should be moved to another thread.
My solution to this philosophical conundrum: make measurable matters a priority, and leave inane arguments for those talking out their posteriors.

conuss

My solution to this philosophical conundrum: make measurable matters a priority, and leave inane arguments for those talking out their posteriors.
Just keep in mind that if the operational amplifiers are not measurable, YOU will need to recognize the market for them as fraudulent.

WSM_2020

Hi! Please, explain to me: with 1500 mW@32 Ohm, DX3 Pro+ still appears to be suffering from the clipping, - does that mean that for Fostex t50rp MK3 this device is strictly not recommended?

Dxnc

Hi! Please, explain to me: with 1500 mW@32 Ohm, DX3 Pro+ still appears to be suffering from the clipping, - does that mean that for Fostex t50rp MK3 this device is strictly not recommended?

"It doesn't have infinite capability as far as low impedance headphones are concerned" (quote from the review) doesn't sound the same as "strictly not recommended" to me, but I asked the same thing earlier in this thread and didn't really get an answer.

I've noticed this review mentioned on other forums in an increasingly negative way - as if it's incapable of powering anything but high ohm headphones. For example, one post said, "Apparently some amps can’t deliver their power into low ohm loads. The dx3 pro+ is one of those ... Amir on ASR confirmed it." Seems like a misrepresentation of the findings to me, and I've seen others like it.

My decision to buy it was made when a calculator showed that my 35 ohm headphones can hit 120db at 4.19volts and 502mw, both of which are comfortably below the point of clipping (7volts, 1,500mw). Prior to clipping, the measurements look great.

I can't speak for ultra-sensitive IEMs, but I've had no issues (plenty of power and headroom). That said: I'd sincerely like to know if some inherent impedance mismatch could cause issues at lower voltages, or if this is this just a question of power ceiling.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Fostex T50RP MK3, 50 Ohms 92dB SPL/mW -> 120dB SPL @ 5.62 Vrms. I wouldn't worry.

wooptoo

@amirm Does the DX3Pro+ work with the Topping P50 Linear Power Supply?
The P50 has a 15V/1A output, does it meet the power requirements of the DX3pro+?
Thanks.

Sami

@amirm Does the DX3Pro+ work with the Topping P50 Linear Power Supply?
The P50 has a 15V/1A output, does it meet the power requirements of the DX3pro+?
Thanks.
DX3Pro+ comes with a PSU which already gives specified performance.

SnakeLeon

Another problem with pro +.
The headphone output has a constant voltage of about 100 mV!
So:
- The encoder does not rotate well and cracks.
- One segment of the middle indicator is off.
- Constant voltage at the headphone output.
Returning the DAC to the seller!
I don't know much, but I would like to know why constant voltage at the headphone output is a bad thing?

Top Bottom