• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Nicholas B

Mine is on order from Apos and they tell me they are getting them in October 27th. Never ordered from them before though.
Shenzhen Audio told me they are expecting them from Topping at the end of the month. If Apos and Shenzhen Audio are the same place, then this is consistent with what you were told.

Budgeter

Hifi College, the Aliexpress seller Hxx mentions, is also listed as an Amazon seller of this dac/amp. Unlike Shenzhen Audio, Hifi College ships from Amazon, so the shipping time is six days. With Shenzhen, it's "November 8 - 30"
Can you please post a link to its Amazon site, I couldn't find it? I've been waiting for a seller which ships from Amazon to take advantage of Amazon hassle free return policy.

SnakeLeon

I would like to know what is the frequency response of this Topping DX3 Pro + on the Headphone Output.
In the manual there were several measurements but I did not see it.

Is it flat, or does it enhance any part of the bass or treble?

Last edited:

MartinEighty8

I would like to know what is the frequency response of this Topping DX3 Pro + on the Headphone Output.
In the manual there were several measurements but I did not see it.

Is it flat, or does it enhance any part of the bass or treble?
All I can see on the official website is the frequency response for RCA output:

Screenshot_20211023-233754_Photos.jpg

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is just the amp, isn't it? Which DAC is supposed to pair with it? E50 can be run on a power bank, but it is not strictly portable.

zombiebrains2

What SPDIF receiver is in this? Why don't Topping list it in the spec? Or am I missing something...I see USB, DAC and Bluetooth but no SPDIF.

huzidada

So what happens if I use a 32Ohm Headset with this? I have Beyerdynamics Tygr 300R and it's 32 Ohms that I use for gaming?

As @amirm says

"Testing at many load impedances tells us that the amp doesn't like very low impedances"

So does this mean that my 32Ohm headphones won't perform well in this? Low sound volume and quality?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
index.php

32Ohm is fine. 20Ohm and lower activates the protection circuit if you try to draw full power.

Sorry, that was nonsense.

The amp clips at roughly 7Vrms. With the Tygr 300R that gives an SPL of roughly 128dB, so no need to worry ;)
(Assuming an online calculator I just found is correct... too lazy to do the actual math)

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

whatever

there is some information i'm curious about, and i was wondering if you'd care to provide them: how is the performance penalty when operating while connected to a charger, if any? what input current is best suited for operating that way? and approximately how long does the battery last in typical use? thanks.

JCLB

This combo unit gives you everything you need in a compact and attractive unit at excellent price. It doesn't have infinite capability as far as low impedance headphones are concerned so for that, you need to step up to myriad of other options from Topping.
I just ordered my first "audiophile headphone" recently (Verum 1), and I am looking for a good DAC/Amp to pair it with. This DAC/Amp combo seemed like a really good choice for the price, until I saw the end of the review. The headphones are only 8 ohms with a sensitivity of 116dB/V or 96dB/mW, so does that mean I should look for other DAC/Amp solutions? or would the DX3 pro+ work fine for normal listening levels?
Also, if I should look elsewhere, I would like some recommendations if possible.

I am new to the audio world, and a bit confused about how these things and tests work or what they mean. (So please go easy on me :))

ririt

I just ordered my first "audiophile headphone" recently (Verum 1), and I am looking for a good DAC/Amp to pair it with. This DAC/Amp combo seemed like a really good choice for the price, until I saw the end of the review. The headphones are only 8 ohms with a sensitivity of 116dB/V or 96dB/mW, so does that mean I should look for other DAC/Amp solutions? or would the DX3 pro+ work fine for normal listening levels?
Also, if I should look elsewhere, I would like some recommendations if possible.

I am new to the audio world, and a bit confused about how these things and tests work or what they mean. (So please go easy on me :))
As stated by amir, DX3 pro+ does not like low impedance headphones. Therefore its match with Venum 1 is less than ideal…E30/L30 or E50/L50 combo seems to be more suitable for your headphones

josiah

If anyone as interested, I ordered from Apos and my shipment was delayed from October 20th to Nov 16th (shipping date). They notified me in an email. They have also updated their website to reflect the new date. I am hoping they can meet this new date.

ccrys

As stated by amir, DX3 pro+ does not like low impedance headphones. Therefore its match with Venum 1 is less than ideal…E30/L30 or E50/L50 combo seems to be more suitable for your headphones
How about Qad Era-1 (20 ohm) ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom