• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Toku

Major Contributor
Does this unit save different volumes for Active Speakers vs Headphones W/AMP, or is it the same volume for both at all times?
There are three output modes for DX3 Pro+: O-1 (Line), O-2 (Headphon), and O-3 (Line+Headphone). Volume settings can be set separately for O-1 and O-2. Line volume setting is effective for O-3.

Attachments

• DX3Pro+Manual.png
    DX3Pro+Manual.png
    522.3 KB · Views: 465

escalibur

Has anyone tested does this have any audible differences (power aside) compared to eg. L30, L50 or A30 Pro? Any tonality differences or such?

zombiebrains2

"I tested OPT/COAX using a D10s and a Sony DVD player and it works perfectly fine."

Yes, but what about player connected directly to coaxial input of dx3+? I would like any feedback from people who have an old CD/Transport player hooked up via spdif to this unit. I had an e30 which didn't work well over spdif with the newer CS8416 spdif receiver, skipping/stuttering CD playback.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Has anyone tested does this have any audible differences (power aside) compared to eg. L30, L50 or A30 Pro? Any tonality differences or such?

As in: a non-flat frequency response? I'm pretty sure any such would be caused by the headphone and not the amp.

IbrarW

Thanks guys for the feedback. Is Apos the right vendor to buy from in US? Or shall I get it from Amazon via Shenzhen Audio?

Darwin

Thanks guys for the feedback. Is Apos the right vendor to buy from in US? Or shall I get it from Amazon via Shenzhen Audio?
Mine is on order from Apos and they tell me they are getting them in October 27th. Never ordered from them before though.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have had ordered from Apos a Topping D90SE, MA mini-i Pro 3, MA X-Sabre 3 and Topping E50 without any issues. Great customer service. BTW, Apos is the same Shenzhen Audio. Everything you purchase from Apos Audio is shipped by Shenzhen Audio in Shenzhen, China.

Hxx

I ordered mine even before Amir posted his review. I grabbed it from aliexpress for 175 USD out the door with free expedited shipping to the US . I picked DHL as the shipping option. It did not come with DHL but it was expedited (4px and then USPS priority)
here is the link to the aliexpress seller store. Ask the seller if there are any US buyer discounts (they gave me $25 off) . It came in less than 2 weeks, basically bought it on release day and came a few days after amir posted the review. Overall super happy with the seller and the price they quoted me.

Toku

Major Contributor
Please read the terms and conditions carefully when purchasing from Shenzhen Audio. They write that they are not responsible for any accidents in transit.
I previously ordered an SMSL product from Shenzhen Audio, but my luggage disappeared during shipping within China. I offered to refund or reship to Shenzhen Audio, but they didn't respond at all.
If you purchase from Shenzhen Audio, we recommend purchasing from Shenzhen Audio, which opens in Amazon. In this case, Amazon will be a strong ally.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If you live in the USA, just get it from APOS as they offer 45 days returns and 2 years warranty. I returned the D90SE and the whole return/refund process took 10 days. I got a full refund minus $10 for return shipping.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Another amazing vendor is Headphones.com. I got my Topping A30Pro, Topping A90 and DCA AEON 2 Noires from them. They ship from Seattle, WA with FedEx 2nd Day for free and offer 365 days returns.

Toku

Major Contributor
"I tested OPT/COAX using a D10s and a Sony DVD player and it works perfectly fine."

Yes, but what about player connected directly to coaxial input of dx3+? I would like any feedback from people who have an old CD/Transport player hooked up via spdif to this unit. I had an e30 which didn't work well over spdif with the newer CS8416 spdif receiver, skipping/stuttering CD playback.
There aren't many S/PDIF signal sources I can use. Around me are Sony DVD players(COAX), Pioneer DVD players(OPT), and Sharp TVs(OPT).
So far, only Sony DVD players have had problems with S/PDIF. Topping's D50 and D50s COAX inputs couldn't connect to Sony at all. But it can be connected to many other DACs without any problems.
The D50/D50s issue was discussed several times with Topping technicians, but there was no clear answer.

From this experience, I purchased D10s and D10 Balanced as test equipment. When I buy a DAC, I first check it with D10s/D10b in an S/PDIF test. After that, we connect home appliances such as DVD players and check the operation.

Recently, the S/PDIF chip has been changed to CS8416 and some connectivity issues have been reported. I have purchased 3 E30s with different manufacturing years. CS8416 is used for the latest one. The CS8416 is also used in the E50 and DX3Pro+ that I just purchased. However, the problems reported so far have not occurred. I think this problem is very different depending on the appliances you connect to.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If I recall, @JohnYang1997 mentioned that the E50 does not have the CS8416 receiver and that’s why it’s more compatible with old CD players. Only the D30Pro and E30 have CS8416 receiver. No idea which receiver the DX3Pro+ has but it should have the same as the E50.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Please read the terms and conditions carefully when purchasing from Shenzhen Audio. They write that they are not responsible for any accidents in transit.
I previously ordered an SMSL product from Shenzhen Audio, but my luggage disappeared during shipping within China. I offered to refund or reship to Shenzhen Audio, but they didn't respond at all.
If you purchase from Shenzhen Audio, we recommend purchasing from Shenzhen Audio, which opens in Amazon. In this case, Amazon will be a strong ally.
Hifi College, the Aliexpress seller Hxx mentions, is also listed as an Amazon seller of this dac/amp. Unlike Shenzhen Audio, Hifi College ships from Amazon, so the shipping time is six days. With Shenzhen, it's "November 8 - 30"

zombiebrains2

Can someone tell me precisely what spdif receiver is used in the DX3 Pro +? If it is CS8416, no thanks, I'll look elsewhere.

I have tested an old Sony Bluray model and it works with CS8416 in E30 coaxial. Tested recently Sony XE530 CD player, it don't work with optical (Skipping). Will try a Sony DVD recorder shortly. All older CD player's I have skip with CS8416 receiver.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
People are still using CDs in this day and age?

For mother of all, rip them using https://www.exactaudiocopy.de

And then convert them to FLAC.

Don't have a PC connected? Fine, use a raspberry as media player.

Same could be said about those still listening to Vinyl and tapes!! I have Roon Lifetime Subscription and from time to time, I do listen to some CDs.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be nice if I could rip my multi-channel SACD's the same way I can rip CD's ;)

Actually... You CAN. Just need to be lucky enough to have the select few for the work:

More here:

Trell

Major Contributor
Actually... You CAN. Just need to be lucky enough to have the select few for the work:

More here:
Finding one of those old no longer manufactured players are not that easy, though.

Top Bottom