• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Budgeter

@JohnYang1997 May I ask whether this unit is using analog or digital volume pot. I would love to have a perfect channel balance on this unit. Will it immediately go into protection when a headphone with <= 20ohms is plugged in, or only after a certain amount of volume pot rotation? Also, is there an estimate time to have it sold or ship from Amazon US?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 May I ask whether this unit is using analog or digital volume pot. I would love to have a perfect channel balance on this unit. Will it immediately go into protection when a headphone with <= 20ohms is plugged in, or only after a certain amount of volume pot rotation? Also, is there an estimate time to have it sold or ship from Amazon US?
Digital

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It only goes into protection when you push the volume up. It works at lower volumes.

Also, any combo DAC and headphone amp is going to have digital volume control and hence the reason I don't test their balance.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The light roll-off at the edges of the text reminds me of '80s toys with incandescent lights behind the screen.

index.php

x6nhqjhm8vy11.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The light roll-off at the edges of the text reminds me of '80s toys with incandescent lights behind the screen.
That's not how it looks in person. It is probably a multiplexed/scanned display that is out of sync with my camera shutter.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Another great performing Topping product at a very competitive price point.
Apparently this product is so good that the only thing that we can find to bitch on is the 3.5mm headphones jack used.. we have become spoiled indeed.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi, i use IEMs with, sometimes, very low impedance (er2se), and i am wondering what makes this (or other) devices not to being able to drive them (at least to a certain level). I can imagine it is something in the lines of "current limited" but for a newbie like me, is there a spec or something to look at to make sure you are on the safe side besides having amir or others to measure it?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi, i use IEMs with, sometimes, very low impedance (er2se), and i am wondering what makes this (or other) devices not to being able to drive them (at least to a certain level). I can imagine it is something in the lines of "current limited" but for a newbie like me, is there a spec or something to look at to make sure you are on the safe side besides having amir or others to measure it?
Just current limited by power supply. Nothing special.

MCH

Major Contributor
btw john, bought the 2se based on your recommendations and couldn't be more happy with it! thanks a lot, such a privilege to have you in the forum!

MadMan

Very nice update...but why continue with the 3.5mm headphone jack instead of 6,5mm? It seems minor, but as a true all-in-one it is what always bothered me about the DX3.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two questions:
- Does this have a remote? The original DX3Pro did.
- Where can I buy one in the USA with some confidence in case it fails? My original DX3Pro had the failure that the original model became somewhat known for.
I would buy from Apos Audio-very good customer service. I've bought 2 Topping DAC's from them and no problems so far.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be a great addition; however, Dirac license will easily add $200-300 (close to the latter and a calibrated mike would add another $100). As soon as it is released half the posters will be complaining that $450-600 is too much and they want one without Dirac (despite the fact that one would exist, but complaints are par for the course).
Or alternatively, charge an extra $50 for a tactile volume knob like this (JDS Labs Element II). Since we know sighted bias is a thing, I can already hear the music sounding better whenever I reach for the volume knob.

Screenshot 2021-10-08 071259.png

Dxnc

The documentation says "Output impedance: <0.1Ω ", which seems like a great match for low impedance headphones based on the 1/8th rule. However, the review says "the amp doesn't like very low impedances" and references clipping/protection. I'm new to these technical details, so forgive my ignorance.

Based on the 1.5 watt max power at 32Ω, is it accurate to say that problems only occur at the highest gain levels, or is there a more general impedance mismatch that could affect performance even at reasonable volumes?

For context, I have Sennheiser HD650 (which should be fine) and HiFiMan HE400i 2020 (35Ω, 93 dB/mW). I'm looking to upgrade from an iFi Nano Black Label (285mW/30Ω). I generally listen at conservative volume (knob at 12:00-1:00 for the 400i on the iFi). However, I've started using PEQ with Roon and would like additional headroom - especially for the HD650. But I want to make sure the DX3 Pro+ would also be a good match for the HE400i planars.

Top Bottom