• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusions
Prior to this review, I was getting depressed testing product after product with awful performance. Results were so bad that I was starting to doubt my Audio Precision analyzer! Fortunately I had the DX3 Pro+ to test which as you see, not only performed superbly, it also vindicated the audio analyzer! :)

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Now that you mentioned this, would you consider this:

Pick the top two or three (maximum) measurements that you believe would affect sound quality most, for example, SINAD, IMD and FR, but that's you call. Then measure those first.

If two of those measured poorly, then abort, to save your expensive AP from unnecessary wear and tear, and save yourself some time. It will take less time to test and publish the much fewer results if you only measure two or three things. You can still make the recommendations based on the 2 or 3 critical measurements, I would assume..

quadrobust

The fire at AKM factory means we have to refresh lots of our product line. And the component shortages this year is making things worse. It's been a difficult year for many companies.
In terms of something new. I had been teasing for some time now. A new class D amp is coming with satisfactory performance.
I hope it has a sub out. Is it too much to ask for bass crossover management in an integrated amp like this ? There was a thread here at ASR about the lack of such feature in integrated amps.

roog

Forum Donor
Topping don't muck about with their product releases do they, I wonder what they have coming up next?

A 'super-dooper' desk top music streamer with room correction functionality perhaps, pretty please? :0)

threni

Major Contributor
Indeed it was a strange decision to use only a 3.5 mm jack for such a product, 6.3 mm would have been a lot better suited, or even better both imo.
Yep, I'm never buying a 3.5mm-only device, and having an adapter hanging off the front. Perhaps we're in the minority - I'm sure Topping know what they're doing. But they could do one of each, or like you said just have both.

KiyPhi

Nice.
If one pauses to think about the metaphor invoked why would “clinical” be negative? What would they prefer? Oh yea, superstition.

I never figured out why “warm” means good either though. Or what warm sound would be. Is it so Loud that it’s vibrations increase ambient temperature?

Don’t get me wrong. I have a tube preamp I enjoy a lot sometimes Not because of its warmth (though it does get toasty), but because i enjoy those holographic sonic effects of tube distortion with some recordings.
Warm is an increase in the energy normally around 200hz. Some tube amps cause this with some headphones like the HD600 since tube amps have a high output impedance. This causes a voltage divider giving less power the less the impedance of the headphone. A good number of headphones have an impedance bump around that area. The effect is real but also doable with EQ. It often sounds more full and the word warm feels apt. Too much though, and it will sound muddy. That said, a lot of people talk out of their butts and use fancy words. There is no real basis for things like holographic sound though, so it seems odd to believe in one but not the other.

SaltyCDogg

Yep, I'm never buying a 3.5mm-only device, and having an adapter hanging off the front. Perhaps we're in the minority - I'm sure Topping know what they're doing. But they could do one of each, or like you said just have both.
Or buy a headphone cable with a 3.5mm jack? Make it a cheap one since we can be reasonably confident it won't make any difference.

Tks

Major Contributor
Quick question, is this the same? The leds are just different I guess.View attachment 157672

It's the same, colors from images taken or renders aren't identical between setups. The LEDs will most likely look as they do on Amir's since that's a true to life image. This is mostly looking like a render.

They're the same product at the end of the day.

Hxx

meh i see and own several headphones that have a 3.5mm default jack and a quarter inch adapter lol. So this unit essentially saves me from using an additional piece. Even my older AKG k702 i believe came with a quarter inch that would unscrew to reveal the 3.5mm adapter underneath and ive seen this approach taken by several other vendors (beyerdynamic tygr 300r comes to mind). I was actually just looking at the new DT900/700 pro X from BD that just came out today and have a 3.5mm jack and a 1/4 inch adapter. So yeah i dunno what the trend is but it doesnt seem to be towards 1/4 inch outputs (maybe i need to drop more $$ on my headphones).

In any case im super stocked about this unit and glad to see it reviewed well. I took a leap of faith an bought mine a week ago when it was announced. I may pair it with the new dt 900 pro x if it reviews well.

KiyPhi

Maybe I'm spoiled but I have made my own modular cables so the only thing I don't like to see is a 2.5mm balanced output since those are a pain to solder with the thick cable I used. All others are just a quick tip swap away.

taisho

Forum Donor
I hope it has a sub out. Is it too much to ask for bass crossover management in an integrated amp like this ? There was a thread here at ASR about the lack of such feature in integrated amps.
I planned to add this too, but then realized that maybe I'm wishing too much :)

threni

Major Contributor
Or buy a headphone cable with a 3.5mm jack? Make it a cheap one since we can be reasonably confident it won't make any difference.
That's another £20 I'd need to spend for each of my headphones. No thanks.

Johannes AU

The fire at AKM factory means we have to refresh lots of our product line. And the component shortages this year is making things worse. It's been a difficult year for many companies.
In terms of something new. I had been teasing for some time now. A new class D amp is coming with satisfactory performance.
Would like to see a Class D 2.1 power amp with approx. 100W output each channel :)

Ajax

Forum Donor
Thanks for another thorough review @amirm.

Now that improvements in Topping & SMSL products make no real audible difference it would be great to see an increase in their features and usability.

IMO the inclusion of a streamer within a DAC like this one would be very welcome, as I would have thought most members stream the majority of their music. Would I be correct in saying that this could be done for little cost and no increase in the size of the unit based on the bit perfect Chromecast Audio (which is no longer in manufacture).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop pls testing Topping again and again. Enough is enough.
How about you either send in devices for test or become a sponsor first?

gvl

Major Contributor

It doesn’t have to hang. There are manlier options out there.

Attachments

• 23CC6CAB-147A-48B0-B435-04087990A0DC.jpeg
    23CC6CAB-147A-48B0-B435-04087990A0DC.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 240

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which means nearly every weak because it seems there are no other mfr available!!!!!
Have you checked the ratio of Toppings vs the other makes? No you haven't.

There had been 37 devices tested since 31 August, just two are Topping made. You just want to spoil the party with unsubstantiated complaints.

Stop this behaviour or leave us in peace to enjoy ASR.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And Topping releases every weak a new version of what is already in the mkt and measures .000001% better ONLY because of this site measurements.
Show me any other mfg on the market that is making strident improvements to their gear like Topping is. You just have a negative bias that you fail to acknowledge and engage in trolling behavior on Topping product related threads.

Paco De Lucia

@JohnYang1997 400w Class D mono blocks please. Or at a push a stereo 800w will do, thank you, I expect results within three months :)

Top Bottom