• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Ziroz

you can feel it but can’t do any harm even if you had ground wire directly in your other hand for example.
True, when my hand touch the device it doesn't hurt that much.
But when the metal sleeve at the end of my headphone cable touch the side of my face, it give me quit a nasty sting.

Attachments

• 234213.jpg
    234213.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 145

georgitt

Hi all. I got this dac recently, and I can't figure out this: how to switch the gain? Maybe I'm stupid :)

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hi all. I got this dac recently, and I can't figure out this: how to switch the gain? Maybe I'm stupid :)
1. Remove the power cable
2. Hold the button / wheel down
3. Plug in the power cable again
4. You're now in settings, use the wheel and push it again to go through the settings. There's not so many

Once you've found the gain setting hold in the button again to exit setup.

Last edited:

nsfgp

RTFM!!! :) You can do it as Bleib said above if you do not have the remote. Or use the M button on the remote to change headphone gain.
Again RTFM!!! It is available on their website.

Last edited:

asteroth

Guys do you think or can you test that DX3 Pro+ really sounds thinner or less punchy than DX5 as this person is stating in his review?

georgitt

I find it to sound a bit crunchy and mechanical compared to my old AK4490 dac. It definitely brings out a bit more detail, however.

I might try it with a different power supply when I have the time. Something linear with good filtering :)

Jayzqa

RTFM!!! :) You can do it as Bleib said above if you do not have the remote. Or use the M button on the remote to change headphone gain.
Again RTFM!!! It is available on their website.
In Georgitt's defense It wasn't exactly the easiest manual to read :D

I had to read it like three times before I figured the settings out.

rarewolf

The Topping DX3Pro+ gets compared to the FiiO K7…

thomasjast

I just got one of these. I like it! Previously owned the original V1 DX3 and then a D50S + Atom combo for years.

Single unit simplifies a lot and the digital volume control is aces.

Not happy about the modern trend of not auto-switching output based on headphone jack detection. I tried the SMSL C200 and it had to go back. At least the DX3P+ outputs to both at once so I can work with that.

akbetter01

I just got one of these and had to sell on Ebay since i couldn't send back to China.
The sound is really awful, there's no bass, it's thin and metallic, hurts my ears. Some 80's metal albums are unlistenable with this ESS Sabre dac.
Maybe this dac is useful for mastering (deep details), but to use on computer as a external soundcard its worthless, just save the money and get the Topping Dx1 (which i did - AK dac).

asteroth

I just got one of these and had to sell on Ebay since i couldn't send back to China.
The sound is really awful, there's no bass, it's thin and metallic, hurts my ears. Some 80's metal albums are unlistenable with this ESS Sabre dac.
Maybe this dac is useful for mastering (deep details), but to use on computer as a external soundcard its worthless, just save the money and get the Topping Dx1 (which i did - AK dac).
Come on man, you must be able to realize that the sound differences among DACs are small/minimal.
There's no such thing as "there is no bass" for a normal functioning unit.
Maybe you have a faulty unit, or an imperfect connection.

Post a video somewhere with your discoveries. Show some proof that there is no bass or the sound is thin/metallic compared to a DAC that you like.

Last edited:

Broken Arrow

Come on man, you must be able to realize that the sound differences among DACs are small/minimal.
There's no such thing as "there is no bass" for a normal functioning unit.
Maybe you have a faulty unit, or an imperfect connection.

Post a video somewhere with your discoveries. Show some proof that there is no bass or the sound is thin/metallic compared to a DAC that you like.
No need for proof I also have it its certainly thin sounding with a metallic timbre, countless other ppl have the same impressions.

asorle

Pre-outs on my DX3pro+ sound perfect. So it is not a DAC issue. Headphone amp part of it could be the only thing affecting lack of bass and that doesn’t happen with any of my headphones that I tested.

One thing that comes to mind is psychoacoustics, and because this amp is super clean with very little distortion it could feel less powerful in the bass region, even though it technically is not. We sometimes correlate higher distortion with higher volume as in you can feel you are pushing your gear harder therefore it must be louder/better. Clean amp with no distortion will be perceived quieter at same dB SPL value if that makes sense.

asteroth

Pre-outs on my DX3pro+ sound perfect. So it is not a DAC issue. Headphone amp part of it could be the only thing affecting lack of bass and that doesn’t happen with any of my headphones that I tested.

One thing that comes to mind is psychoacoustics, and because this amp is super clean with very little distortion it could feel less powerful in the bass region, even though it technically is not. We sometimes correlate higher distortion with higher volume as in you can feel you are pushing your gear harder therefore it must be louder/better. Clean amp with no distortion will be perceived quieter at same dB SPL value if that makes sense.
Okay but you said there is no bass. You know what it means to have "no bass", right?

So, from your post I should understand that there is no relevance to your initial comparison between AKM and ESS DACs because your perception was subjectively distracted by different volume levels.

asorle

Okay but you said there is no bass. You know what it means to have "no bass", right?

So, from your post I should understand that there is no relevance to your initial comparison between AKM and ESS DACs because your perception was subjectively distracted by different volume levels.
I am not the guy who said there is no bass. Just giving my opinion on the discussion. There is bass and it is good and clean. Nothing like the other dude said. I agree with you completely there are no actual perceivable differences between most well designed dacs like these.

asteroth

I am not the guy who said there is no bass. Just giving my opinion on the discussion. There is bass and it is good and clean. Nothing like the other dude said. I agree with you completely there are no actual perceivable differences between most well designed dacs like these.
Indeed, my apologies.

Top Bottom