• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Livnmuskoka

I just ordered one of these DX3 pro+ through Amazon and canceled it before it shipped. I bought new HD600 headphones and a Fiio BTR7 a couple weeks ago. I love the HD600's, more than the LCD-3F I owned, and more than LCD4, LCDX, Focal Elear, Clear, and Utopia when I listened to those. It's more than likely because of the amazing tone and accuracy, and details highlighted where they should be. Did they do further improvements to these 2019+ HD600 version? At least after hearing the higher end cans I'm now reassured that I found keepers.
Anyway, after comparing measurements of the BTR7 and the Topping DX3 pro+ they are about the same as far as distortion, jitter, etc.
I'm using the BTR7 wired from a Samsung phone with Tidal hifi, on low gain up to max volume 27 out of 60, so I don't think power is an issue either.
I'm having second thoughts on trying the DX3 because I'm not sure if there'll be any improvement, but more so because Topping has a high failure rate, and returning their products isn't always easy. Returning a defective L30 amp a few years ago was a pain. And there's just no pride of ownership or reassurance you can enjoy it for long before it dies, and hopefully not taking out any of your more expensive gear with it.
I don't really plan on going as high up as an RME adi-2 dac fs again. But that would be my next step basically after the DX3 pro. I usually don't buy mid-fi gear anymore, usually just cheaper or the best. At least the RME should last for many years and has great resale value.

Last edited:

Broken Arrow

I don't have a HD600 but do have a HD6XX, I think its good except the usual ESS chip sharpness, apart from that didn't notice any shortcomings *but* Sennheiser HD6xx series is known to pair excellently with OTL tube amps like Darkvoice 336 ot Xduoo TA-26, if you have a chance to audtion I would suggest that.

Veri

Master Contributor
I don't have a HD600 but do have a HD6XX, I think its good except the usual ESS chip sharpness
Sorry, forgive my usual facepalm reaction to this. Why would anyone even like these ESS chips then? Do you know most motherboards use an ES9018K2M in the ALC on-board soundcard solution, do you really believe all these desktop PC users notice some distinct 'usual ESS sharpness'?

I mean the answer here is "No". This is in your head.

Broken Arrow

See most ESS chip based dacs have a slight bright signature to them if compared to R2R/multibit solutions or even AKM chips (maybe not all), this is a well known thing so no point in debating it, and my ears tell me that too, having said that it can be a default ESS tuning i am not sure to what extent manufacturers can change that via filters etc so implementation can be a factor too.

Veri

Master Contributor
See most ESS chip based dacs have a slight bright signature to them if compared to R2R/multibit solutions or even AKM chips (maybe not all), this is a well known thing so no point in debating it, and my ears tell me that too
I'm sorry but no. Just some audiophile forums myth. Feel free to try and debate it because it is most definitely unproven hearsay...
It's particularly ridiculous that some claim AKM is shrill while others will say ESS is, there's no consistency because it's just people claiming things. The darnedest thing.

Bleib

Major Contributor
See most ESS chip based dacs have a slight bright signature to them if compared to R2R/multibit solutions or even AKM chips (maybe not all), this is a well known thing so no point in debating it, and my ears tell me that too, having said that it can be a default ESS tuning i am not sure to what extent manufacturers can change that via filters etc so implementation can be a factor too.
Top AKM and ESS measure a lot better than human hearing, it's very hard to think you'd hear any difference at all in a blind test. But just by reading some of this stuff there will be some who has an ESS who will now buy an AKM as well and will expect to hear a difference.
What a waste.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Username checks out

Broken Arrow

The ultimate test is how we hear it, an instrument in a lab can never replace a human ear, and the bright nature of ESS dac chips is unanimously accepted than otherwise, having said that no issues with people having other opinions.

Bleib

Major Contributor
The ultimate test is how we hear it, an instrument in a lab can never replace a human ear, and the bright nature of ESS dac chips is unanimously accepted than otherwise, having said that no issues with people having other opinions.
What bright nature? I hate when there's too much treble and lack of bas. If that had been true I would still be using a Topping E30 which uses AKM.
The numbers don't lie, the frequency response is about the same as is everything else.
If anything sounds bright then it's likely the loudspeakers. Amps too are far more neutral than speakers in general (there are exceptions of course).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Broken Arrow
Show me a single, proper blind listening test proving audible differences between AKM and ESS DACs, please.
All reports of "AKM=warm, analog ESS=harsh, digital" come from sighted tests without proper level matching, which makes them worthless.

1440x810_cmsv2_f4acb937-32b7-5c92-8ed0-1da3f39843e6-6263686.jpg
AKM / ESS Sabre

People will hear what they want to hear.

Gundud

Hello!

I'm planning to buy this DX3 Pro+, so if you can help me with these two question that would be awesome.
1. Given all the features (BT, Optical, etc) is there any alternative option at similar price range?
2. I read the protection will kick in if playing low frequency. the thing is I want to use this on my work/game corner, for games I bet there is a lot of <20hz notes (Overwatch, Call of duty). My sub can play down to 18hz but I'm acctually okay to limit it at 20hz. My question is does the DX3 Pro+ have in build filter to filter out those low frequency? I'm planning to use the optical from my TV to the DAC.

Thanks!

Gundud

Yes, the SMSL C200. The review is here.
There's also the Sabaj A10d 2022 at $300. Review
Thanks for the recommendation, sadly both are not available in my country and ordering from oversea will likely to cost me almost 30-40% of the price.

Guess i just need to find out if there is built in filter in DX3 Pro+ to prevent the protection. My typical use is mixed of music (some have 20hz) and gaming (overwatch, seem to trigger it quite often from what I read).

Ziroz

Yeah it is common issue on these. Nothing to worry about, it won’t actually shock you, but definitely a big flaw. If you use USB input it stops shocking you, at least in my case. Seems like USB connected to a PC which has ports that are grounded completely solves the issue.
I have the a somewhat similar experience with my Fiio K5pro, I use to use it as a usb dac for my pc and never had any issue.
I recently upgraded and move the unit to my reading desk and found there is quit a significant feeling of vibration/current when touching the case, the vibration is especially noticeable when I stand on the floor bearfooted. maybe we are experiencing the same phenomenon?

asorle

I have the a somewhat similar experience with my Fiio K5pro, I use to use it as a usb dac for my pc and never had any issue.
I recently upgraded and move the unit to my reading desk and found there is quit a significant feeling of vibration/current when touching the case, the vibration is especially noticeable when I stand on the floor bearfooted. maybe we are experiencing the same phenomenon?
Yes we are. It is more noticeable when you have a better connection with ground standing barefoot. However it is still limited by the noise suppression Y type capacitor in the power supply to around 80-200uA, you can feel it but can’t do any harm even if you had ground wire directly in your other hand for example.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Thanks for the recommendation, sadly both are not available in my country and ordering from oversea will likely to cost me almost 30-40% of the price.

Guess i just need to find out if there is built in filter in DX3 Pro+ to prevent the protection. My typical use is mixed of music (some have 20hz) and gaming (overwatch, seem to trigger it quite often from what I read).
Where do you live? I reside in Sweden and ordered my C200 through hificat and got no additional costs.

Top Bottom