• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

vlad.stoian98

15685-topping-dx3-proplus-inpage9.jpg

the sold package includes a USB B to A cable.
You can buy a USB B to C cable to connect it directly to your MacBook Air.
Wont a usb A to usb C adaptor work? Isnt the usb B side connected to the dx3?

cosmom3

I use a USB-B to USB-C cable from Amazon (UGREEN) to connect to my iPad mini 6 and works perfectly.

SangriaAudio

I got this unit 1 month ago. Suddenly it started doing weird noises. I tested and my conclusion is there's only noise when in Bluetooth mode. If I put a few fingers on the antenna it disappears. If I unscrew the antenna it disappears. What's wrong? I just heard it one day suddenly.

vlad.stoian98

Okay guys so I have a problem. I just bought the Dx3 pro+ and I am using it with my hd 600, and sometimes (it happened twice in the last week), when i plug the headphones into the dx3, I hear a slight buzzing that happens when I do not play music, and it disappears in 5 seconds. Is my unit broken or is this a normal thing if it happens very rarely? I would appreciate if you would help me, thanks!

rarewolf

Is it possible to wirelessly stream music to this device over DLNA?

No, you need some type of streamer hardware. For example, the Topping M50 is supposed to work with DLNA, via an Android app

Or, you can stream wirelessly to your smartphone, while its connected to the DX3P+ USB input

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

The DX3 Pro+ is "fully balanced" according to the spec sheet. What does that mean since it doesn't have balanced outputs? Is there any benefit in connecting balanced active monitors to the SE outputs over a normal "unbalanced" DAC?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3 Pro+ is "fully balanced" according to the spec sheet. What does that mean since it doesn't have balanced outputs?
Means the DAC outputs a differential signal to the headphone Amp:
4952997.jpg
Is there any benefit in connecting balanced active monitors to the SE outputs over a normal "unbalanced" DAC?
No.

Robert C

I was in a hurry when I posted above. If you want more info, let me know specifically what you’re wanting to do, and with which hardware you have access (type of smartphone).
Think I've got it sorted. WiiM Streamer into the DX3 Pro+ via optical :)

Daykatoma

Bass killer, lifeless, ess hump shill, in ear knifle like, metallic sound...

Dx3pro+ literally killed all my HP's bass. Even first gen k3, my second hand zxr, k5 pro akm sounds much much better than it.

Tygr 300r, dt770pro, Hd650, even my Denon D5000 (which has subwoofer tonned bass) totally sound dull. Like someone sucked all the bass out.

Low-Fr quantity is significantly less compared to all my other sources but it also hits fast with no decay time. You wont feel anything with these in regards of bass frequencies.

Latest FW, latest drivers, tried all the filters... Same. How can this be praised that much ? Un-believable !

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Dx3pro+ literally killed all my HP's bass. Even first gen k3, my second hand zxr, k5 pro akm sounds much much better than it.

Tygr 300r, dt770pro, Hd650, even my Denon D5000 (which has subwoofer tonned bass) totally sound dull. Like someone sucked all the bass out.

Low-Fr quantity is significantly less compared to all my other sources but it also hits fast with no decay time. You wont feel anything with these in regards of bass frequencies.

Latest FW, latest drivers, tried all the filters... Same. How can this be praised that much ? Un-believable !
Not a fan then?

Daykatoma

Have you tried changing the gain setting in the Dx3pro+?
Yes I have. Every other source sounded more full, impactful and strong in lower frequencies. Like everyone knows what dt770, d5000 kind of headphones ... The bass was so shy. I don't think I got lemon too. I mean everything was working perfectly, how could a faulty unit just affect a bass-mid bass tones for example.

Just a basic google search provided me tons of similar complaints on head-fi, reddit, headphonia. "Dull" , "anemic" , "less bass", "no impact" , "on the sharp side" were the shared vocabs across. Is this an ESS thing ? Because all my other sources are either AKM or Cirrus Logic based.

Even some reviewers and well-known names describe it like "as a source it is on the sharp side so dont pair it with bright sounding headphones".

If this is an ESS thing, than lesson learned. But I guess I need a bit digging on this subject, because lots of people saying that using another amp solved the issue. So it could be the analog part not the dac, I am not sure.

Toku

Major Contributor

I think your report is simply that the sound quality of the DX3 Pro+ didn't suit your taste.
Sound quality preferences vary greatly from person to person. I've used the DX3 Pro and DX3 Pro+ and don't feel the way you describe.

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Not my experience after 6 months of use. It delivers enough power to drive my DCA Closed X and others to full volume transparently.

Top Bottom