• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Alec246

I thought the Topping (think it is called ASIO?) driver bypasses the regular Windows driver, as do many other audio products I have used in the past
It has its own volume slider, where I see it tries to force 0dbs. But for example, Tidal Exclusive Mode has a bug that when music passes, it will change the Volume of the DAC, and I have to go in there and force it to 100% again. It happens even with Volume Equilizer being Off..

Alec246

My 22Ohm Etys are working perfectly fine with the unit. Never had any trouble so far.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@B3MMi you can drive the DT 900 PRO X easily from the $9 Apple heasdphone dongle. The DX3Pro+ won't break a sweat. At all.

Edit: The DT 900 PRO X is rated for 115dB SPL continuous and120dB SPL peak. The DX3Pro+ can theoretically drive it to 134dB SPL peak, but doing so would kill the drivers.

Last edited:

B3MMi

@B3MMi you can drive the DT 900 PRO X easily from the $9 Apple heasdphone dongle. The DX3Pro+ won't break a sweat. At all.

Edit: The DT 900 PRO X is rated for 115dB SPL continuous and120dB SPL peak. The DX3Pro+ can theoretically drive it to 134dB SPL peak, but doing so would kill the drivers.
Thanks,

I mean that I'm more concerned about it having too much power for the sensitive headphone with a low power rating. I guess it's one wrong move and the headphone is gone?

selthier

how long its been since this product release? is there maybe leaked info about new topping dac/amp line around this price too?

i plan to change my setup office from topping e30/l30 to dx3 pro+, but its been two months since my local seller out of stock, the local seller said that the supplier keep delaying shipping, but he said the item gonna arrived in 2 weeks
(prefer buying from local seller for easier warranty)

and how bout dx5 price compare to dx3 pro+ ? i actually prefer dx5 because of xlr output cause most my headphones use xlr output, but kinda out of budget for just office setup
and with topping release new line up often now im not sure which one i should buy

Smitty2k1

how long its been since this product release? is there maybe leaked info about new topping dac/amp line around this price too?

i plan to change my setup office from topping e30/l30 to dx3 pro+, but its been two months since my local seller out of stock, the local seller said that the supplier keep delaying shipping, but he said the item gonna arrived in 2 weeks
(prefer buying from local seller for easier warranty)

and how bout dx5 price compare to dx3 pro+ ? i actually prefer dx5 because of xlr output cause most my headphones use xlr output, but kinda out of budget for just office setup
and with topping release new line up often now im not sure which one i should buy
You could also look at the Topping MX5. It's a newer device that also includes an amplifier section for passive speakers.

I was debating between the DX3 Pro+ and separate PA3s or the MX5. Ended up getting the DX3 Pro+ just because I found it for a good price.

JRS

Major Contributor
Just a quick question--I cannot find the "include:" file that one of the members had found to be a best fit for the Harmon curve, I swear it used to be somewhere in the first few pages of the review. I must be blind, so If someone could post in here I'd be eternally grateful--it was a better fit than the Oratory's.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a quick question--I cannot find the "include:" file that one of the members had found to be a best fit for the Harmon curve, I swear it used to be somewhere in the first few pages of the review. I must be blind, so If someone could post in here I'd be eternally grateful--it was a better fit than the Oratory's.
I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread? Which headphone?

torcid

Does anyone have problems with the DX3Pro+ and gaming? I get crashes to desktop in many(not all) first person shooters after a bit of online multiplayer session.

Tried the Windows 10 drivers... tried Toppings drivers... tried fullscreen or borderless... tried USB 2.0 and 3.1
But it keeps freezing in online multiplayer sessions after a while of playing.
I use DTS X Headphone with 24-Bit/48Khz for gaming.

44.1 Khz causes ingame stuttering and 16-Bit is not really good audioquality in combination with DTS X /ATMOS.

Tested an Fiio E10k, which i still have for laptop use. No problem with the E10k... So it doesn't seem to be GPU, CPU, Ram, PSU or DTS X Headphone etc.

Last edited:

torcid

Haven't noticed any gaming problems myself, though I haven't tested super-many games in the last few months that I've had the unit for.

Puh, it was some weird PC problem. After a Ryzen 3 B550 mainboard bios update my old ram voltage was unstable with my choosen timings. Had to rise voltage bit...
It was not crashing in every game because some were not so ram intensive in multiplayer. Now Prime95 blender test works fine again and the DX3Pro+ DAC, too.

Pretty happy that it was not the Topping making problems in gaming. Since the device sounds great i don't wanted to sell it because of that problems.

The drivers are better than the one from for my old Fiio K5 Pro (AKM). Atmos and DTS X would often turn itself off to stereo during multiplayer sessions with the Fiio in some games. No problem with the E10K, but with the K5 Pro. That never happens with the Topping.

Last edited:

bruh

Hello ik this mightve been asked before but.

Can any of you people whove tested this side by side with a fiio k5 pro/ k5 pro ess tell me which sound you preferred or if any difference was even audible.

The topping dx3 is only 15 euro more and it has bluetooth which seems like a nice perk since ill mostly be using my phone! ( no need to constantly wire it up, yay). it also measures better lol. but yeah some people said that this gives the topping more reasons to fail, so the fiio k5 pro ess is also tempting.

tvih

The topping dx3 is only 15 euro more and it has bluetooth which seems like a nice perk since ill mostly be using my phone! ( no need to constantly wire it up, yay). it also measures better lol. but yeah some people said that this gives the topping more reasons to fail, so the fiio k5 pro ess is also tempting.
Having more features is certainly no reason to avoid a product. Sounds like you could use the BT connection. Though something to keep in mind is K5 does have RCA input which the DX3 Pro+ lacks, if that matters to you. Overall for such a similar price I'd recommend the DX3 Pro+ as far as specs/features, but those aside I have no personal experience with the Fiio so can't do a subjective comparison that way. But the DX3 Pro+ by itself is definitely a great little device.

bruh

Having more features is certainly no reason to avoid a product. Sounds like you could use the BT connection. Though something to keep in mind is K5 does have RCA input which the DX3 Pro+ lacks, if that matters to you. Overall for such a similar price I'd recommend the DX3 Pro+ as far as specs/features, but those aside I have no personal experience with the Fiio so can't do a subjective comparison that way. But the DX3 Pro+ by itself is definitely a great little device.
oh yeah and also i found a 2 year warranty on it. so if it fails i dont have to worry about it. Oh and also you think it will be enough for the hifiman sundaras? i heard they need a bunch of current to sound their best, so does this give enough? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

tvih

oh yeah and also i found a 2 year warranty on it. so if it fails i dont have to worry about it. Oh and also you think it will be enough for the hifiman sundaras? i heard they need a bunch of current to sound their best, so does this give enough? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies
Not particularly familiar with Sundaras, but based on specs and some quick googling there should be more than enough power for them. Also has a bit more power than the K5 Pro.

fquails

I just measured the external temp of BOTH my DX 3 pro + using an IR temp gun. In DAC mode only, 102.7°F/39.3°C! The external amps they are connected to are only 91.9°F/33.3°C. Is that normal for the Topping? I’ve had external DACs before, and none of them gets this hot.

Last edited:

audiofun

I just measured the external temp of BOTH my DX 3 pro + using an IR temp gun. In DAC mode only, 102.7°F/39.3°C! The external amps they are connected to are only 91.9°F/33.3°C. Is that normal for the Topping? I’ve had external DACs before, and none of them gets this hot.
normal. DAC only mode will not shut the HP amp off. Topping products are very energy inefficient. If you don't like it just return.

Top Bottom