• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

KoiHime

I'm going to get my first good pair of cans, after reading I've decide to go for HE400 SE.
I need a DAC + AMP combo, but here (Europe) most of the popular options are sould out.

Will 3DXpro+ pair good with that cans or a solution like L30 + portable DAC(+AMP) could give me better performances as well as more flexibility?
I would also be able to EQ to Harman and still have some loudness.
I'm currently running the exact combination as you mentioned - HE400SE+DX3 Pro+.
Using Peace EQ as provided in he400se review thread, -6.7 Pre amp, -25 High Gain on DX3Pro+, Windows volume on 50, I would consider to be the max volume my ears can handle, I usually set windows volume to around 30. Overall, there will be more than enough headroom left for you to play with.

Last edited:

BXLMatt

I had to get a refund on my DX3 Pro +. When connected to the optical out on an LG TV, the sound clipped every couple of seconds when watching streaming services. Not live TV or local files, just BBC, Amazon, Netflix etc through the TV's own smart services. No other DAC I have has this problem. Insufficient shielding, I suppose. Very annoying as otherwise it sounds great and no change in the audio settings or a change of cable could solve the issue.

Toku

Major Contributor
I had to get a refund on my DX3 Pro +. When connected to the optical out on an LG TV, the sound clipped every couple of seconds when watching streaming services. Not live TV or local files, just BBC, Amazon, Netflix etc through the TV's own smart services. No other DAC I have has this problem. Insufficient shielding, I suppose. Very annoying as otherwise it sounds great and no change in the audio settings or a change of cable could solve the issue.
Many other DAC products have also been reported to have connection problems with LG TVs. Why? I think that not only DAC but also LG TV in South Korea is responsible.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Insufficient shielding, I suppose.

Topping used AKM s/pdif receiver chips in the previous revision. After the AKM fire they probably started looking for an alternative. They are very secretive about what they are using in the PRO+. They even went as far as to grind off the markings on the chip. I suspect they've made a custom solution with an FPGA and don't want the competitors reverse engineering it. Seems to have some compatibility issues though.

(This is just my personal speculation, so don't take it as fact)

GDT

After a week and a some more tests I'm not very happy with line-out output, it sounds better with headset output. I'm using my old edifier S530D...
What should I check?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yes, volume matching the two outputs with a multimeter would probably be an eye opener.

radix

Major Contributor
After a week and a some more tests I'm not very happy with line-out output, it sounds better with headset output. I'm using my old edifier S530D...
What should I check?

Just checking ... if you use headphone EQ you want to turn it off for line out.

otherwise, I don't think there's many settings that affect it. Where is your volume control on the DX3 set for line out? Is it like -30 to -10 or is it very low?

If you are using the volume control on the Edifier, you can disable the volume control on the DX3Pro+, so it is pure line out not volume adjusted. There's a menu option for that, but I don't remember the setting off-hand.

conuss

They even went as far as to grind off the markings on the chip. I suspect they've made a custom solution with an FPGA and don't want the competitors reverse engineering it.
That's what very bad people do. Outrageous!

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's what very bad people do. Outrageous!
Not at all. In a country/industry where competitors will completely rip off your designs and suffer no legal penalties, it is often the best way to at least delay the inevitable.

audiofun

Topping used AKM s/pdif receiver chips in the previous revision. After the AKM fire they probably started looking for an alternative. They are very secretive about what they are using in the PRO+. They even went as far as to grind off the markings on the chip. I suspect they've made a custom solution with an FPGA and don't want the competitors reverse engineering it. Seems to have some compatibility issues though.
at post #580 I already give hint on the topic

conuss

Not at all. In a country/industry where competitors will completely rip off your designs and suffer no legal penalties, it is often the best way to at least delay the inevitable.
Such actions are taken everywhere if they contain business-critical content. The same is true for Apple.
In any case, the chip must match the declared one! Why should it be wiped if the chip corresponds to the stated one, while causing consumer doubts? The buyer is not at all interested in this dirty game of grout chips, he must be convinced of the authenticity of the claimed components and PAYS FOR IT! I very much doubt that recognized brands are doing this.

conuss

There's no stated one. On the PRO+ product page there's only a block diagram calling it "Digital Processing".
I didn't expect it in any way.., in that case, let the buyer decide. Personally, I need a product without such a statement.

dreamscene

Last edited:

audiofun

Anyone recommend thermal modding the DX3Pro+? Like installing heatsinks? It's summer here and it get's quite warm even without any music playing. Have people modded their amps, dacs here with those cheap Aliexpress heat sinks?

dx3 pro+ only consumes 4W and with that enclosure it's never a problem.
You could install a small 12x8mm heat sink on top of the hp amp buffer, or even better, a 4.5mm thick thermal pad under the pcb.
But it won't offer you any real benefit as there's no heat issues in the first place.
just relax and enjoy your music.

audiofun

Yeah, but I still can't see the marking on that picture. Mind giving the answer?
I didn't have time examine it closely, and I already returned mine back to the dealer.
I reported a few bugs to Topping, most are fixable by firmware, but Topping kept ignoring my email.

You can ask whoever has the DX3 Pro+ send you better pictures.
For me I'm done with Topping.

Top Bottom