• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

MissionImpossible

Just joined the forum as was researching an all in one DAC-AMP setup that won't break the bank. I was laser focused on this DX3Pro+ model. The feedback of issues with the volume knob and also some crackling noise has me step back a little. Also the annoyance of the smaller headphone 3.5mm input. So I kept on searching for other 'newer' models around $200 and found that Fiio has released a similar 'chipset' all in one unit called Fiio K5 Pro ESS. It does not have bluetooth but that is something I do not require when the setup will be plugged directly to my desktop. Also I don't care for a remote or display. The main advantages that matters to me with the Fiio ESS is that it has a larger 6.35mm jack and 3 levels of gains. The advertised 'audio measurements' seems a bit more conservative than what Topping has listed. One big disadvantage of the Fiio I can see is that it has had a $50 price increase over the previous K5 Pro and now is $200 USD. More info here: https://www.fiio.com/k5proESS

P.S. I am no Fiio shill, genuine enquiry, what do people here in the know think of it compared to the DX3 Pro+?

Currently testing the DX3 Pro+ against the Loxjie D30 which I got around 260 euros in Europe. This might be in your budget.
Indeed the Topping build quality is much cheaper. The Loxjie feels more "premium" and better finished with a better screen and menu system, integrated power supply. The volume button is super smooth. I've been trying to spot the differences in terms of sound quality, but it seems that for my usage with Hifiman Sundara, they both sound very good so far. The DX3 volume knob is indeed a little cheap and plastic sounding.
On the other hand the topping is easier to use for basic features without the remote. I often switch between line out and headphones amp mode and it is just a double clic away on the DX3. It also eats up less desk space while having a more readable screen. The the small jack is not as bad as all my headphones and IEMs have a small connector.

Hxx

Just joined the forum as was researching an all in one DAC-AMP setup that won't break the bank. I was laser focused on this DX3Pro+ model. The feedback of issues with the volume knob and also some crackling noise has me step back a little. Also the annoyance of the smaller headphone 3.5mm input. So I kept on searching for other 'newer' models around $200 and found that Fiio has released a similar 'chipset' all in one unit called Fiio K5 Pro ESS. It does not have bluetooth but that is something I do not require when the setup will be plugged directly to my desktop. Also I don't care for a remote or display. The main advantages that matters to me with the Fiio ESS is that it has a larger 6.35mm jack and 3 levels of gains. The advertised 'audio measurements' seems a bit more conservative than what Topping has listed. One big disadvantage of the Fiio I can see is that it has had a $50 price increase over the previous K5 Pro and now is $200 USD. More info here: https://www.fiio.com/k5proESS

P.S. I am no Fiio shill, genuine enquiry, what do people here in the know think of it compared to the DX3 Pro+?
I dont own the fiio but ive owned the DX3 pro+ since it came out (bought it before amir had a review on it) and have had zero issues with it. No volume knob issues, no crackling nothing, almost daily use. i've used it with a BD Tygr 300R and now i am using it with a BD DT 1990 pro. Again no issues being used as a desktop dac/amp.
The BT features i didnt think i require either but it's actually a very nice feature to have just to quickly pair it with my iphone and play songs via the music app. I still probably wouldnt pay extra for the BT feature but i do like it more than i thought i would.
Lack of a 6.25mm jack is indeed a nuissance but what i really like about the jack is that its on the other side of the volume knob and screen and its just out of the way. i hated my magni 3 for having the headphone jack right by the volume knob. I see the Fiio is set up the same but maybe the larger knob rectifies this issue.
My only complaint about the unit is that some features are only accessible via remote so if you misplace the remote , you lose out some of the functionality. If they fix this in the next revision, it would be great.
So i dont mean to sell you on the DX3 pro but i think its pretty great for what it is.

Last edited:

dreamscene

I dont own the fiio but ive owned the DX3 pro+ since it came out (bought it before amir had a review on it) and have had zero issues with it. No volume knob issues, no crackling nothing, almost daily use. i've used it with a BD Tygr 300R and now i am using it with a BD DT 1990 pro. Again no issues being used as a desktop dac/amp.
The BT features i didnt think i require either but it's actually a very nice feature to have just to quickly pair it with my iphone and play songs via the music app. I still probably wouldnt pay extra for the BT feature but i do like it more than i thought i would.
Lack of a 6.25mm jack is indeed a nuissance but what i really like about the jack is that its on the other side of the volume knob and screen and its just out of the way. i hated my magni 3 for having the headphone jack right by the volume knob. I see the Fiio is set up the same but maybe the larger knob rectifies this issue.
My only complaint about the unit is that some features are only accessible via remote so if you misplace the remote , you lose out some of the functionality. If they fix this in the next revision, it would be great.
So i dont mean to sell you on the DX3 pro but i think its pretty great for what it is.
Makes sense, DX3Pro+ just has features I don't need thus more complications to go wrong that's all. Display, remote and bluetooth for a desktop connected system for my use case is just not required. My thinking is less 'features' in a Chi-Fi system the better for long term just as long as the core technology pack is great thus I was gravitating towards the Fiio K5 pro ESS. Saying that, I constantly see Topping do well in measurement tests and ranking and Fiio not so much so that is a positive for Topping. Would be good to see Amir get the Fiio K5 Pro ESS and do a review.

nothingman

Extremely happy with my unit which arrived yesterday. I’m just getting back into a bit of hifi headphone listening after a long time away. Decided I’d use my miniDSP SHD with a pair of HD6XX (3m HD650 cable reaches my couch). The only question was the amp. I assumed I’d go single ended analog since the SHD has high quality output. A remote on the headphone amp is a big plus since I’m not at a desk.

I tried the Sabaj A10h and it was a really nice piece for the money, but the high input sensitivity/lack of gain completely killed the chance to run real EQ on the SHD (I’m partial to the 10-band oratory1990 PEQ for the HD650, though I tweak band 6 down a hair to taste).

Obviously not every track requires the full -9.3db preamp headroom, but it was a real hassle constantly checking to see if I could squeeze more out of the SHD before it clipped. I was left wanting more oomph on too many tracks. Looked at the L30 but the 3V input sensitivity ruled it out.

Now with the DX3 Pro+ I can run full scale EQ on the SHD (on its own “preset”), set-and-forget my SHD to -9db, skip the SHD DAC altogether via coax, and the +19db gain of the Pro+ gives me back enough power even on quieter tracks. Volume control during listening all done via the Pro+, and happily found my Harmony 350 remote had Topping preprogramming available. Happy camper here!

Only nitpick: the screen brightness should be even lower on low. It’s absurdly bright in a dark room even when sitting 8ft away.

Sound quality is all I will need for a long, long time (famous last words but true this time!). I spent more on the headphone amp section than I wanted but it was necessary to escape the frustration of other devices.

andrer49

Hello all so after nearly using SoundBlaster AE-5 for about 2y and half I decided to upgrade and buy this DAC/AMP and it's amazing for it's price to use it alongside my Senns 560s howewer I think they sound very neutral and kinda flat which is kinda boring, accurante sound but still flat, not saying it's a issue but for my likings it's kinda of a letdown, and just created this account to post here and ask the experts on this forum, can I use AE-5 for the EQ and SBX presets and the Topping for rest ?

TinFoilCap

I need a DAC and after reading nearly every DAC + AMP review, this seems like it could be "The One". My current setup is a laptop 1/8" to RCA to a DIY Whammy amp driving either DT-770 Pro or Sundara's.
1. Can I bypass the amp and use just DAC to my Whammy Amp if desired?
2. Can an S8 connect using an OTG cable, or is BT the only way to connect phone?
3. Is this the DAC to get <$300-400 price point? What else should I consider?
A DAC + AMP combo is desired to have the ability to switch between the class D and DIY class A.
With measurements like this, it's difficult to consider raising the budget, but I would consider a more "Premium Feeling" DAC not considerably higher cost. Help me decide! Thanks.

dreamscene

I need a DAC and after reading nearly every DAC + AMP review, this seems like it could be "The One". My current setup is a laptop 1/8" to RCA to a DIY Whammy amp driving either DT-770 Pro or Sundara's.
1. Can I bypass the amp and use just DAC to my Whammy Amp if desired?
2. Can an S8 connect using an OTG cable, or is BT the only way to connect phone?
3. Is this the DAC to get <$300-400 price point? What else should I consider?
A DAC + AMP combo is desired to have the ability to switch between the class D and DIY class A.
With measurements like this, it's difficult to consider raising the budget, but I would consider a more "Premium Feeling" DAC not considerably higher cost. Help me decide! Thanks.
If you want to know what else 'just came out', I am in the same boat and am mulling over this or the Fiio K5 Pro ESS. Same chipset but no bluetooth and same price. Personally I don't care for display screen, remote and bluetooth for a desktop connected system as it's just more complications to go wrong in a Chi-Fi system long term. Just want a knob a few buttons and a solid box and the Fiio has my interest but no reviews out yet.

Bubba2022

Topping DX3PRO Volume Control issue

Does anyone know whether this problem still exists on DX3 Pro Plus model?

Miiman

Topping DX3PRO Volume Control issue

Does anyone know whether this problem still exists on DX3 Pro Plus model?
Mine does it but i got one of the earlier batches (Sent 2021-11-03). Mayby they have switched the faulty component by now.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Personally I don't care for display screen, remote and bluetooth for a desktop connected system as it's just more complications to go wrong in a Chi-Fi system long term.

Let's stay away from the term Chi-Fi please.

Thanks all. We have a lot of new members, so just want to put that out there again.

Cheers.

nothingman

I was just saying to myself, “this dude sure loves using this term and it feels awfully pejorative.” Hadn’t seen Amir’s note on it, which I think is a fair take.

dreamscene

Let's stay away from the term Chi-Fi please.

Thanks all. We have a lot of new members, so just want to put that out there again.

Cheers.
:oops:

Didn't mean that all. Yikes.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I live in Asia, have an Asian family, and don't find the term offensive at all. However, I realize that sensitivities over racism are quite high in the West these days, for good reason,so maybe best to err on the side of caution. More to the point, Amir makes the rules here and they are quite lenient and easy to live with, so we need to respect his wishes.

Hxx

Makes sense, DX3Pro+ just has features I don't need thus more complications to go wrong that's all. Display, remote and bluetooth for a desktop connected system for my use case is just not required. My thinking is less 'features' in a Chi-Fi system the better for long term just as long as the core technology pack is great thus I was gravitating towards the Fiio K5 pro ESS. Saying that, I constantly see Topping do well in measurement tests and ranking and Fiio not so much so that is a positive for Topping. Would be good to see Amir get the Fiio K5 Pro ESS and do a review.
you could try getting both from a reputable seller (like amazon once they stock the k5 pro) and take back the one you like the least. Thats what i'd do

Bubba2022

Mine does it but i got one of the earlier batches (Sent 2021-11-03). Mayby they have switched the faulty component by now.
That seems very recent. :-| I'm a bit surprised this is not fully eliminated from past models as lessons learnt.

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
I am using the dx3pro+ and the clicking while changing volume reassures me, probably because it was part of the stereo system years ago. I like the feedback on the knob. It’s a good sound through the Sundara not just the click

I have a question. As a preamp, would it match well with an old AB toroidal power amplifier, rms 80 wpc?

I have two dacs, tv, Blu-ray player, headphone amplifier and CD player and AB stereo amplifier and sensitive floorstanders.

I could replace the stack with the dx3pro+ Blu-ray player and power amplifier because four inputs are unusual among dacs.

Top Bottom