• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JRS

Major Contributor
Wow, thank you so much. Honestly this is ridiculous - both regarding the phrasing in the manual and the accessibility.
For anybody wondering - the exact procedure is: pull power supply, put it back in, press and hold the power knob et voila, you're in setup mode. You can do your thing, press and hold the knob again for 8-8 to show and press the knob to save.

Do you know what the dFU-mode is for? Firmware upgrade?
It's a new abbreviation to me: Device Firmware Upgrade. So yea. Glad you could get it working.

Of course it worked straight out of the box and I was happy for a few hours, but I have power hungry Sundara's and needed to get into full power mode (make that the default for heaven's sake) to hear those new HP's sing.

In retropsect, It is kind of slick--like getting into computer BIOS where it looks for a hot button during initial boot up and never thereafter, and thereby protects against an accidental change of settings. But yes, instead of saying powering up, why not "hold button down while attaching the power supply." Like me I'm sure you tried pushing the damn power knob every which way to Sunday. I managed to get if to even hang up a few times, requiring that I reboot it, but not realizing that what was meant by power up. Now of course all makes sense. That it sounds so good for such a great price makes this sin forgivable. I did send a note to Topping, which likely got round filed, and the guy shaking his head, saying dumb Americans.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m very torn over whether to get the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the Loxjie D30 as a Bluetooth DAC (with bonus headphone amp) for my vintage stereo setup. Which of the two would you recommend? Any notes on the sound quality of either DAC? Best place to order online for a Canadian? Cheers! (Also: second post)
What vintage gear? I drive a vintage Linn active system with a D30pro. I have no use for Bluetooth.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The shaft of the mechanical rotary encoder has a click feeling when turned. Depending on the product you are using, the click feeling may vary, but it is a function required for the brush contacts to make correct contact with the electrodes in the specified position.
The rotary encoder used in DX3 Pro + has a strong click feeling, but the rotary encoder used in the SMSL Group products has a weak click feeling.
If you don't feel a click and it rotates smoothly, you are using something other than a mechanical rotary encoder.
My impression with mine is it sort of hits a half click a bounces back or forward. I don’t see anything wrong with that and I’d be hugely surprised if the volume doesn’t last as long as an analog knob.

Reactions: JRS

Nicholas B

Mine arrived in the post today. The equipment it is set up with is shown in my sig.

I elected to use it in DAC mode, since I am now using my Schiit Saga S pre-amp solely for its stepped attenuator. This arrangement gives me the best gain structure (no hiss to be heard).

A large part of the decision to get this was the extra coax input - it enabled me to accommodate all my sources. The DX3 Pro+ has no problem with the optical output of my ten year old TV. I will try the LDAP Bluetooth later - just enjoying the jazz playing at the moment :cool:.

MartinEighty8

DX3 Pro+, which I ordered immediately after seeing the measurement data of amirmn, arrived from Aoshida HiFi and immediately conducted an operation test.
We have conducted continuous playback of files from PCM44.1kHz to 768kHz 16/24/32bit and DSD2.8 to DSD22.5, and a test to switch between these songs at random, but the operation of DX3 Pro+ is extremely stable. There was no problematic behavior.
I tested OPT/COAX using a D10s and a Sony DVD player and it works perfectly fine.
I don't use BT but the connection is smooth. There is no problem with the playback operation.
There was no pop noise when switching songs, switching inputs, or turning the power on and off.
I had predicted some problems with the newly released DX3 Pro+, but from the perfect operation, I think that Topping has done a thorough evaluation test before the release. Chinese products have also evolved considerably.
Just to clarify, do you mean you connected your Topping D10s to the DX3 PRO+ via OPT/COAX and it worked fine?

mamadu

What vintage gear? I drive a vintage Linn active system with a D30pro. I have no use for Bluetooth.
Amp: I've got a Technics SA-5550 in incredible condition (no blown parts or fuses, just needed a dust cleaning internally and shine externally). My dad bought it in the mid-1970s (original owner), and I was gifted it in high school (20 years ago). I think he was subliminally trying to turn me into a stereo geek (spoiler: it worked). Decided to dig them out of my mom's basement after falling down the r/vintageaudio rabbit hole on Reddit last spring.

Speakers: I guess you could call them "white van" loudspeakers from Fairview Electronics in Toronto. My dad estimates he purchased them in the late 1970s as the in-house 'no-name' alternative to the more expensive brand names. Personally, I love them: solid bass (no need to me for a subwoofer), terrific mid-range (which I had grown unaccustomed to after years of listening to B&W bookshelf speakers), and nice treble (bright but not brittle or sharp).

Inputs:
  • Pono Music Player with 512GB microSD card (I might be the only person still rocking a Pono these days, lol),
  • 2nd generation iPad (for streaming music),
  • Denon iPod dock with two 160GB iPod Classics,
  • Denon DVD-1710 player (for playing back CDs),
  • Philips Electronic 312 Turntable (in dire need of a setup and proper cartridge)
I've been lurking on this forum for the past few months looking for the right DAC. Was torn between the Topping DX3 Pro+, Topping D50s, Schiit Modi 3+ and Loxjie D30. I actually ended up going with the Loxjie D30 when it went on sale during Black Friday. Great DAC performance metrics, Bluetooth (which connects my iPhone), headphone output (decent, but not the star of the show), and MQA support (not a feature I need/want, but nice to have onboard).

I've only had it set up for a day (shipping to Canada can be slow), but so far I'm deeply satisfied with it's performance. It now connects all my digital sources to my vintage integrated amp, and even acts as a preamp (thanks to the included remote's volume control). What a great time to be in the stereo hobby!

Attached a photo of my stereo after initial setup. Remains basically the same, but now the Loxjie sits below the turntable. Cheers for asking; any recommendations on your end? Have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 349

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp: I've got a Technics SA-5550 in incredible condition (no blown parts or fuses, just needed a dust cleaning internally and shine externally). My dad bought it in the mid-1970s (original owner), and I was gifted it in high school (20 years ago). I think he was subliminally trying to turn me into a stereo geek (spoiler: it worked). Decided to dig them out of my mom's basement after falling down the r/vintageaudio rabbit hole on Reddit last spring.

Speakers: I guess you could call them "white van" loudspeakers from Fairview Electronics in Toronto. My dad estimates he purchased them in the late 1970s as the in-house 'no-name' alternative to the more expensive brand names. Personally, I love them: solid bass (no need to me for a subwoofer), terrific mid-range (which I had grown unaccustomed to after years of listening to B&W bookshelf speakers), and nice treble (bright but not brittle or sharp).

Inputs:
  • Pono Music Player with 512GB microSD card (I might be the only person still rocking a Pono these days, lol),
  • 2nd generation iPad (for streaming music),
  • Denon iPod dock with two 160GB iPod Classics,
  • Denon DVD-1710 player (for playing back CDs),
  • Philips Electronic 312 Turntable (in dire need of a setup and proper cartridge)
I've been lurking on this forum for the past few months looking for the right DAC. Was torn between the Topping DX3 Pro+, Topping D50s, Schiit Modi 3+ and Loxjie D30. I actually ended up going with the Loxjie D30 when it went on sale during Black Friday. Great DAC performance metrics, Bluetooth (which connects my iPhone), headphone output (decent, but not the star of the show), and MQA support (not a feature I need/want, but nice to have onboard).

I've only had it set up for a day (shipping to Canada can be slow), but so far I'm deeply satisfied with it's performance. It now connects all my digital sources to my vintage integrated amp, and even acts as a preamp (thanks to the included remote's volume control). What a great time to be in the stereo hobby!

Attached a photo of my stereo after initial setup. Remains basically the same, but now the Loxjie sits below the turntable. Cheers for asking; any recommendations on your end? Have a great day!
Okay really small world. I’m a Burlington boy. Fairview HiFi I know we’ll. The owner spilt wine on my shoes at a Hi-Fi party.

It’s much easier to make choices today. Specs in the 80’s were published never tested.We would audition gear and make choices on subjective BS.

I just sold my 40+ year old turntable and my vinyl. Getting ready to downsize the Linn amp stack and speakers.

I looked at the same DAC assortment as you. Ended up buying the Topping because I really wanted the A30Pro headphone amp and wanted the matching look as well. Very happy with both.

You might want to find a Apple Airport Express for streaming. It’ll blow the doors off Bluetooth. 30 to 50 on eBay Airplay 2 though.

Cheers
Peter

neo6633

In manual,

Enter the setup menu:
Press and hold the knob first when the power is off, and then
power up to enter the setup menu.
Change and save of settings:
(1) The volume knob on the front panel: press the knob to
enter the next setting item, rotate the knob to set different
parameters. Press and hold the knob until "8-8" is displayed
on the screen to save the settings.

So I hold knob when stanby mode, it does not going to setup menu but showing dFU on the screen.

Is this broken?

neo6633

1639178889148.png

I just saw this comment thank you fu*** manual.
How do I image power off means unplug power supply. lol

JRS

Major Contributor
In manual,

Enter the setup menu:
Press and hold the knob first when the power is off, and then
power up to enter the setup menu.
Change and save of settings:
(1) The volume knob on the front panel: press the knob to
enter the next setting item, rotate the knob to set different
parameters. Press and hold the knob until "8-8" is displayed
on the screen to save the settings.

So I hold knob when stanby mode, it does not going to setup menu but showing dFU on the screen.

Is this broken?
No. This is nomal. What you need to do is hold down the volume while you insert the power jack from the supply. It's (settings menu) only available during a "hard boot." WE decided a couple of pages ago that the Topping manual could be better.

Edit: looks like you found the earlier post. Enjoy!

JRS

Major Contributor
Now it is my turn to ask for help: for the first few weeks I had no problems whatsoever. However, for the past several days, my PC laptop has had intermittent problems seeing when it is connected and continues to play through the speakers or the 3.5mm jack. First I tried both rebooting the PC and the Topping to no avail. I have also tried replacing the driver--no joy. It will recognize it intermittently if I am patient and is fine until it is disconnected or I reboot the laptop. All I can think of is that the USB connector has gotten sloppy, but that seems like a long shot as the device and cable are only weeks old. I'd swap out cables, but the input on the D3 is one of the square, small footprint guys common to printers, and have no spares. Thoughts?

neo6633

Im newbie with audio equipment. I wonder is it normal 'PCM' mark on the screen?

Top Bottom