• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Toph17

Please translate it back to English.

Hi there. I'm new and I'm looking for a DAC for listening on my Klipsch RF82 mk2 via a Crown xli-1500 power amp which would be plugged into RCA or XLR. I don't listen to headphones, it will mainly be bluetooth and optical via my blu-ray CD player. I currently have a Douk Audio P1 so tube and I do not know if I can expect better with Topping or another DAC. I read up to page 30 of this thread. I hesitate a lot between this Topping dx3 pro+ and the SMSL DO100. Could you give me some clarification? Sorry for the bad spelling, I'm French and I use Google Translate.

MajoloBama

l'effet de cette bonne leçon gardera-t-il,
Comme gardien de mon cœur. Mais bon mon frère
Ne pas, comme le font certains pasteurs peu aimables,
Montre-moi le chemin escarpé et épineux vers le ciel ;
Tandis que, comme un libertin bouffi et téméraire,
Lui-même le chemin de la primevère des marches badinage,
Et ne compte pas son propre devoir.

GabrielPhoto

Is there one as good as this amp, same price range but with analog inputs?? I need RCA or 1/8" etc to connect my kawai es920

staticV3

Master Contributor
@GabrielPhoto
are you looking for a DAC+Headphone Amp AIO like the DX3Pro+, just with an additional analog in?
or a simple Headphone Amp that's as good as the one inside the DX3Pro+?

GabrielPhoto

@GabrielPhoto
are you looking for a DAC+Headphone Amp AIO like the DX3Pro+, just with an additional analog in?
or a simple Headphone Amp that's as good as the one inside the DX3Pro+?
Just headphone amp as good as this one, no need for dac. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just headphone amp as good as this one, no need for dac. Thanks!
Here are some options:
Schiit Magni+
JDS Atom Amp+
Topping L30 II
Sabaj A10h
SMSL HO100
SMSL SH-6

Edit: there's also the battery-powered Topping NX7 in case you'd like to keep the setup clean.

GabrielPhoto

Here are some options:
Schiit Magni+
JDS Atom Amp+
Topping L30 II
Sabaj A10h
SMSL HO100
SMSL SH-6
Right away looks like the heretic will do exactly what I need.
Thank you

Toph17

And when it's the other way around, that you don't need a headphone amp but only the preamp dac that you recommend? I currently have a Douk Audio P1.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And when it's the other way around, that you don't need a headphone amp but only the preamp dac that you recommend? I currently have a Douk Audio P1.
To be clear: I can't give you recommendations based on personal experience. I can only tell you what's out there and what measures well.
Researching the UX, warranty, reliability, etc. is up to you.

Do you need Balanced output or only RCA?

Toph17

To be clear: I can't give you recommendations based on personal experience. I can only tell you what's out there and what measures well.
Researching the UX, warranty, reliability, etc. is up to you.

Do you need Balanced output or only RCA?

My power amp has XLR inputs but that wouldn't be required. I hesitate a lot between the smsl s-u6, the smsl DO100 or the Topping dx3 pro+

steabert

I have a Topping dx3 pro+ and very happy with it as a stereo DAC. I use the headphone amp a lot now even though I didn't plan for that. However, if you have XLR you might as well use that and go for sth like the DO100?

mrmojo

I have a topping DX3 pro - I've just used it to connect to my laptop via USB and then used the aux out on the front to connect it to headphones.

Now I am getting a set of Kanto YU4 speakers which have RCA in and aux in on them.

What's the bets way to connect the Kanto speakers to the DX 3 pro? Use the aux out on the DX pro, or connect them to the RCA out on the back of the DX3 pro?

I didn't even know the dx3 pro was meant for speakers, but it seems like you can connect headphones with the aux out on the front and speakers with the rca on the back and switch between the two?

fquails

I have a topping DX3 pro - I've just used it to connect to my laptop via USB and then used the aux out on the front to connect it to headphones.

Now I am getting a set of Kanto YU4 speakers which have RCA in and aux in on them.

What's the bets way to connect the Kanto speakers to the DX 3 pro? Use the aux out on the DX pro, or connect them to the RCA out on the back of the DX3 pro?

I didn't even know the dx3 pro was meant for speakers, but it seems like you can connect headphones with the aux out on the front and speakers with the rca on the back and switch between the two?
I have three DX3 pro + units. All are connected to external amps via RCA cables, and the amp drives bookshelf speakers in one system, floor speakers in another system, and powered bookshelf speakers in a third system. Never use mine for headphones.

jaco61

I couldnt find any info if the DX Pro+ has Dc protection. Is it implemented? Thanks in advance!

steabert

RCA out on DX3pro+ to RCA in on speakers.
Yes.

rarewolf

How many of you use a 5V (USB type) power supply other than a generic USB wall charger? I’m considering the Topping 5V linear PS for both my DX3P+ and my WiiM. However, I’ll soon be replacing the DX3P+ with a Topping E70 and that will come with its own PS.

I’m not wanting to pay >$100 for a single audio quality 5V PS. What are my peers using? Thoughts?

georgitt

The DX3P+ uses 15V. So that 5V linear PS won't work.

I'm considering a DIY solution myself, but I still have to work on the circuit a bit, and I don't have the time :/. I want to make it with a relay so that the PC switches it off completely when it sleeps, something that was not implemented by Topping. As for filtering, I'll use a few cascaded good quality LDOs and some nice caps. It should be better than the stock brick.

rarewolf

The DX3P+ uses 15V. So that 5V linear PS won't work.

[…]

Good catch! That would leave me with the Topping PS, but then again, I’m replacing the DX3P+ with the E70 (one of these days)…

Cheers!

oneils

I have a couple of questions about this unit. I am guessing that they have already been answered here but I haven't been able to find it.
If I use the line outs to a pair of active speakers, will the volume nob on the dx3 pro+ still work? And, how are the line outs?
Thanks.
edit; looks like this post answers my question. It will allow me to adjust volume using volume knob.

Last edited:

gael

Hola proud owners of DX3 Pro+, have you heard a mobile DACamp that matches the sound quality of this unit's headphone output? I've been looking, but none the match so far :(

Top Bottom