• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

akbetter01

I am not the guy who said there is no bass. Just giving my opinion on the discussion. There is bass and it is good and clean. Nothing like the other dude said. I agree with you completely there are no actual perceivable differences between most well designed dacs like these.

There's no bass, i had both to compare and the sound quality of the AKM chip of the DX1 is so good. I don't know if Topping had a bad batch with Dx3 Pros, but a quick google search will show many people with same problem.

asteroth

There's no bass, i had both to compare and the sound quality of the AKM chip of the DX1 is so good. I don't know if Topping had a bad batch with Dx3 Pros, but a quick google search will show many people with same problem.
bring some proof please, show those people that are complaining.

georgitt

I think people get this impression when the bass is tighter and more articulate, and the instruments more separated. Which normally comes with higher performance. It is definitely not lacking.

akbetter01

I think people get this impression when the bass is tighter and more articulate, and the instruments more separated. Which normally comes with higher performance. It is definitely not lacking.

I don't see people complaining about low bass/thin sound with Fiio k5 pro (same price range). Or DX5/DX7.

TurboNatalia

Switch from an old JDS labs odac/o2amp to dx3pro+, for accessibility -- RCA output, BT, remote etc.
The headphone amp does not feel like an upgrade to my untrained ear though. In some parts, I even feel my old o2 put more dynamics and has a more "open" sound. But these are pretty subjective to me so I'll probably get a friend for some blind test. I'm using my k702 + r70x.

asteroth

Switch from an old JDS labs odac/o2amp to dx3pro+, for accessibility -- RCA output, BT, remote etc.
The headphone amp does not feel like an upgrade to my untrained ear though. In some parts, I even feel my old o2 put more dynamics and has a more "open" sound. But these are pretty subjective to me so I'll probably get a friend for some blind test. I'm using my k702 + r70x.
Could you please keep us updated with that blind test?

TurboNatalia

Yes.
I may also try other dac/amp combo while I'm still in the return window.
It is stupid that you cannot turn off the white input indicator for dx3pro. Super annoying for my desktop usage.
dx5 feels much better in terms of design.

akbetter01

The headphone amp does not feel like an upgrade to my untrained ear though.

The DX3 Pro+ is the thinnest and dynamically flattest sounding device that I’ve heard. Maybe one day the will make the Dx3 Pro Plus Ultra 2.0 with AKM chips, then i will buy it again (for the remote and output switch).

TurboNatalia

The DX3 Pro+ is the thinnest and dynamically flattest sounding device that I’ve heard. Maybe one day the will make the Dx3 Pro Plus Ultra 2.0 with AKM chips, then i will buy it again (for the remote and output switch).
maybe you are right about the flat sound, but how is this relative to the DAC part? I suppose it is more of a circuit design/amp issue.

asteroth

image_2022-12-11_114157869.png

Dude, your opinions are worthless. Username AKM, posts AKM, etc. Bring some proof or go home.

akbetter01

maybe you are right about the flat sound, but how is this relative to the DAC part? I suppose it is more of a circuit design/amp issue.

Its common knowledge ESS dacs are brighter and sharper. But you are right their implementation only makes it worse. Even my motherboard with ALC1220/ESS Sabre does not sound this bad. I wouldn't trust Topping to design another device with ESS. Maybe this is the reason their latest devices comes with AKM chips (DX1, E30 II etc)

Veri

Master Contributor
Its common knowledge ESS dacs are brighter and sharper. But you are right their implementation only makes it worse. Even my motherboard with ALC1220/ESS Sabre does not sound this bad. I wouldn't trust Topping to design another device with ESS. Maybe this is the reason their latest devices comes with AKM chips (DX1, E30 II etc)
You're just regurgitating meaninless head-fi style urban legends. I mean for crying out loud pretty much all mobos have some ALC+ESS solution, yet ESS dacs are "brighter and sharper"? Do a blind comparison and see if your biases hold any value, until then you're just perpetuating myths. Common knowledge.. :facepalm::facepalm:

akbetter01

You're just regurgitating meaninless head-fi style urban legends. I mean for crying out loud pretty much all mobos have some ALC+ESS solution, yet ESS dacs are "brighter and sharper"? Do a blind comparison and see if your biases hold any value, until then you're just perpetuating myths. Common knowledge.. :facepalm::facepalm:

Trusting the "perfect measurements" of the original post, only led me to a big money loss buying the DX3 Pro+. So i'd rather trust head-fi now

akbetter01

pretty much all mobos have some ALC+ESS solution, yet ESS dacs are "brighter and sharper"?

mobo manufacturer obviously doesn't want consumers ears bleeding and returning the boards, so they have to tone down the ESS sharpness

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
mobo manufacturer obviously doesn't want consumers ears bleeding and returning the boards, so they have to tone down the ESS sharpness
You really raised the bar in this comment. You know I might be right and I might be wrong but you are apparently deluded. Inventing stuff and then spinning ideas off your delusions.

TurboNatalia

Did some quick and dirty blind tests, and we all prefer the sound from o2 -- more dynamic, vivid, and appealing sound. May or may not miss some details -- I do respect measurements with those Toppings.
I did not change the filter in dx3+ but played with gains on both amps.
I did not expect high for the amp part of dx3+, but the audible difference from an old o2 is somewhat disappointing.
I may look into another dac/amp/bt set with better amp.

Jayzqa

I don't see people complaining about low bass/thin sound with Fiio k5 pro (same price range). Or DX5/DX7.
DX5 sounds literally the same with DX3 pro+. All the topping stuff is so similar that I would spend more only if your headphones actually need more power.

I've had DX7 pro, DX5, DX3 pro+ and now l30 II + E30 II stack that has nice knobs for changing to pre out/headphone out.

TurboNatalia

DX5 sounds literally the same with DX3 pro+. All the topping stuff is so similar that I would spend more only if your headphones actually need more power.

I've had DX7 pro, DX5, DX3 pro+ and now l30 II + E30 II stack that has nice knobs for changing to pre out/headphone out.
yes ... it looks like that. I do not really need that much of dac or balance either.
I'll try to go blind with an aune x1s or Sabaj a10d, both are competitors around the same price. They are measured worse here but I'd be good with it as long as no audible noise.

Top Bottom