• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like everything needs pre-emphasis. CD wasn't perfect. I'll take hi-res.
CD doesn't need it and it isn't done any more. It was applied in the early days of CD due to the poorer performance of DACs of the day included in players, as well as the ADC's used for mastering.

You're welcome to your high res - but most likely get no benefit from them compared to Redbook in real world listening.

LongKick64

I have this DAC and with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm it sounds bad. Some kind of muddy sound with poor detail. Even my built-in sound card sounds more detailed than this DAC. Recommend something under $200 to make it sound better than this misunderstanding.

TheShield

I have this DAC and with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm it sounds bad. Some kind of muddy sound with poor detail. Even my built-in sound card sounds more detailed than this DAC. Recommend something under $200 to make it sound better than this misunderstanding.

Your unit may be defective.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Your unit may be defective.
Sound card could also have some enhanced audio on, which happens with some Creative Labs cards as default. Raised treble and bas, this might make neutral DX3Pro+ sound boring.

Default settings with AE-5+ is far from neutral, have to choose direct mode to get rid of some enhanced junk:
1712819301810.png

Last edited:

oleg87

If it were defective, then I would hear clicks and artifacts when playing music.
So a piece of electronics can only be defective in a way that causes "clicks and artifacts"?

I would try exclusive mode output as a sanity check. The DT770s shouldn't be very sensitive to output impedance so some kind of DSP seems like the likeliest culprit for major differences.

Mordor

Hummm
I had opportunity to test this DAC against other more expensive, and older, on a high system.
It wasn't a big test....but the idea of my DX3 Pro, has a lack of detail on more complex musics, and a little more "metallic" sound....

Despite that, im very happy with it. Its equilibrated for my sound system, and BT, optical, works like a charm.

I tried this as a DAC and didn't like it. The sound seemed too airy and didn't have enough weight to it. Then I tried a FiiO K7 which seemed too colored, then tried an SMSL SU-1 which was perfect.

Loris Caramanico

Hello everyone, I have a question about the Topping dx3 pro. Is there any difference if it's connected via USB or coaxial to my Antelope Zen Go audio interface? Which might be the better option?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hello everyone, I have a question about the Topping dx3 pro. Is there any difference if it's connected via USB or coaxial to my Antelope Zen Go audio interface? Which might be the better option?
The DX3 Pro cannot be connected to your Antelope interface via USB. Coax is the only choice.

A USB connection is always between Host and Accessory. The DX3 Pro and Antelope are both USB accessories. They can't talk to each other.

Loris Caramanico

The DX3 Pro cannot be connected to your Antelope interface via USB. Coax is the only choice.

A USB connection is always between Host and Accessory. The DX3 Pro and Antelope are both USB accessories. They can't talk to each other.
No, I mean connected via USB to the computer, or via coaxial to the Antelope. If there is a difference in terms of sound

Giangy11

I changed speakers connected to this DAC, from edifier MR4 to swissonic v7, and now I hear a lot of difference in sound when listening with USB DAC or bluetooth (ldac). When used with bluetooth the same song has lot less bass and the sound is more flat. The same song from USB PC becomes more vibrant with lot more bass and better highs also. What can be the difference in your opinion?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I changed speakers connected to this DAC, from edifier MR4 to swissonic v7, and now I hear a lot of difference in sound when listening with USB DAC or bluetooth (ldac). When used with bluetooth the same song has lot less bass and the sound is more flat. The same song from USB PC becomes more vibrant with lot more bass and better highs also. What can be the difference in your opinion?
Probably just a level difference. If you are really interested, you could measure the output voltage (with a voltmeter) with a 60Hz test tone in both modes to check.

Top Bottom